Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
I never considered a Polaris product because of their reputation for indifferent quality - I like their designs a lot. I bought a Suzuki Kingquad in 2011 and still have it and it still runs like a watch. If Suzuki made an sxs I'd probably have one of those. But they didn't make the right size ATV for my wife so I bought her a Yamaha Grizzly 450. Although there were some design choices on that machine that I didn't care for, mechanically it was awesome. We sold it to buy the X2, keeping the King because it was more tricked out and more powerful (my wife has gotten used to it). I love the Wolverine. I wasn't going to enter the sxs market until reading of the new Wolverine twin, then that's all I could think of. Haven't looked back.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
"If Suzuki made an sxs I'd probably have one of those"

I heard that!

All of our Quadrunners have been great machines starting with the 1984, 125cc, up through the King Quads my daughters ride.
My 2003 Vinson is still going strong with only battery, brakes and oil changes, its only got 5500 miles on it but none of my Quadrunners required the wrench time this Yamaha has.

Reactions: Tsckey and Budro2

·
Registered
537 Posts
"If Suzuki made an sxs I'd probably have one of those"

I heard that!

All of our Quadrunners have been great machines starting with the 1984, 125cc, up through the King Quads my daughters ride.
My 2003 Vinson is still going strong with only battery, brakes and oil changes, its only got 5500 miles on it but none of my Quadrunners required the wrench time this Yamaha has.
Suzuki is in bed with Kawasaki. A Suzuki would be a rebranded Kawi most likely. Like the 4 wheelers were identical.

Sure did love the RM's though.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,673 Posts
I had a Kingquad 700 2005 build and was a fabulous ATV Power train drive system, engine and suspension were are excellent. On the NYROC forum many of the parts etc were similar to the Grizzly. I still have 2009 750 though. The 2005 had 13,000km on it when I sold it running great. Voltage regulators were the only part I had to replace from time to time. There were arguable the best ATV out there and went anywhere once the front diff lock were engaged.

Reactions: MORSNO

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Because I've never owned another brand. Only Yamaha

·
Registered
3 Posts
I never considered a Polaris product because of their reputation for indifferent quality - I like their designs a lot. I bought a Suzuki Kingquad in 2011 and still have it and it still runs like a watch. If Suzuki made an sxs I'd probably have one of those. But they didn't make the right size ATV for my wife so I bought her a Yamaha Grizzly 450. Although there were some design choices on that machine that I didn't care for, mechanically it was awesome. We sold it to buy the X2, keeping the King because it was more tricked out and more powerful (my wife has gotten used to it). I love the Wolverine. I wasn't going to enter the sxs market until reading of the new Wolverine twin, then that's all I could think of. Haven't looked back.
Spot on with the Suzuki comment. Their quality is second to none. I've rode my king quad 750 all over the country, 7,000 miles and all I've done is replaced the radiator cap (normal maintenance of course) and that's it, I'm not forgetting anything. I've purchased a 2020 x2 last week and I love it, smoothe and quiet.

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
I rode motorcycles as a kid & teenager then took 30 years off to raise my family. Now that all the kids are out of the house I was able to find my way back to this hobby. So I'm new to the ATV/UTV life. My first ATV was a 2018 Polaris Sportsman 570. I followed that up with a used 2016 Polaris Ranger 570. I quickly decided that however much fun the ATV was, the UTV was my favorite. But the Ranger wasn't quite sporty enough for me.

Most of the people I ride with are on RZR's and I like their suspension. But I don't like the full on sports models because of the seating position, lack of storage, and cost. On the Polaris products I hate the non-gated shifter and the inability to control my front differential. The Polaris only engages the front wheels after the rears slip. I looked at a friend's Rhino that has been beat to hell and still ticking. I spoke with a lot of Yamaha ATV owners. I researched the mechanical designs. I looked at a friend's Teryx and it was between the X2 and the Terex. I chose the X2. After nine month I am still very happy with my decision.

Reactions: jimclemjr

·
Registered
348 Posts
I went with the Yamaha because I like the dependability, as much as I like the woods and trail riding I also like for the vehicle to take me back home or to my truck...not really into hiking looking for assistance! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Main reason I purchased one, I have had to tow so many Polaris machines out of the woods with my old Yamaha Rhino I should of started charging tow bills. Never once have I had to be towed out of the woods. I wanted the X4 for ability to carry 4 people in a small frame and wanted the better reliability. As some of the other guys have stated I test drove the Kawasaki Teryx and almost bought one but glad I didnt, its simply not put together as well as the Yamaha. Ive had mine a year now and after several mountain rides Ive had no issues. I will follow anything on the market and still get you home......

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
I never considered another brand, I've been a Yammer Hammer my whole life with the toys from the Yz125 to the Griz, onto the Rhino, and eventually my X2-Rspec SE, oh yeah own a Waverunner as well !

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just bought an X4, a couple of reasons. It kinda came down to the Pioneer or the Yamaha. I like Kawasaki's, but the Teryx has a reputation of hot and loud. Wife wouldn't like that. I love Honda, wife drives and 18 Accord, I've had a dozen of their motorcycles I'd guess, but the seats on the 1000-5 just didn't look comfortable and the thing is too wide. I've also owned a few Yamaha bikes and a Rhino, the bikes were great, and what the Rhino lacked in performance (which was a lot) it kinda made up for in dependability. I paid $3500 for it 8 years ago used in good shape and sold it for $2000 in rough shape to a buddy who thought he got a killer deal. I had to put a few wheel bearings, couple of belts, brake pads, one axle, and a heck of a lot of oil, but thats really it.

Reactions: Paul65

·
Registered
50 Posts
Went on my first ride with a buddy that has a Teryx, after about 30 minutes he said he needed a break, it was getting hot in there!

Reactions: Paul65 and MORSNO

·
Registered
32 Posts
For me it came down to the Teryx, Pioneer and the Wolverine. Polaris got eliminated because they don’t offer a decent four seater, the general and ranger wheel base is way too long for me.
The Teryx was eliminated due to rear brake, rear seats are fixed and the tailgate doesn’t fold down. But it does have stock 14inch rims.
Pioneer, I wanted but the rear seats suck and the lack of just passenger comfort and amnesties are the reason they got cut.
The Wolverine seemed to be what I was always comparing against.
I am very happy with the choice. I just wish it had turf mode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
649 Posts
Same reason here as DugK.

I lean towards Yamaha but I like what Honda and Kawasaki put out too. Theirs just didn't fill my needs as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
For me it came down to the Teryx, Pioneer and the Wolverine. Polaris got eliminated because they don’t offer a decent four seater, the general and ranger wheel base is way too long for me.
The Teryx was eliminated due to rear brake, rear seats are fixed and the tailgate doesn’t fold down. But it does have stock 14inch rims.
Pioneer, I wanted but the rear seats suck and the lack of just passenger comfort and amnesties are the reason they got cut.
The Wolverine seemed to be what I was always comparing against.
I am very happy with the choice. I just wish it had turf mode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Add in "heat and noise" on the Teryx and ditto to the rest. The Teryx looks mean, but really just a pussy cat!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My wife is from a Yamaha family (her dad owned a Yamaha dealership in the late ‘60’s), so they’re pretty biased. However, when she and I got into riding quads about 10 years ago, we bought all Hondas - used - and then proceeded to put thousands of miles on the in Utah. No trouble from any of them. In fact, the only break-down we had was one of the yamahas! (Boy, did I enjoy that!) But when we moved to Utah, we needed a “family truckster” for taking visiting friends on trail tours and hopping between our family homes (we all live pretty close). Only two companies built 6-seaters, and the Viking VI had good reviews, so we bought one. I soon found that it was a good trail runner and we really didn’t need a SxS. And then my brother-in-law upped the ante and bought a YXZ1000R...

Though we tried, we couldn’t go on the same trails as the YXZ, and sand... well, that didn’t work. So, I started looking for an affordable, reliable SxS that could keep up with the YXZ on trails and could still carry some items in the bed. I wasn’t impressed with the Polaris offerings(too many maintenance issues) and a YXZ has absolutely no storage. Then I saw a used Wolverine SE at our local dealer. It fit our needs perfectly and had similar running gear as the Viking. And... I know this is going to go against the current... but I kind of liked the single cylinder engine design; simple and torquey. Time will tell, of course, but so far I’m happy with the Wolvy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm so glad I went with the X-Force (my sons name for our 2019 X4). We went for a ride yesterday with the neighbors who bought a Teryx in March and has the same hours as our 6 week old Yamaha (45) and their belt started slipping on the way to the trail, plus they were complaining about the heat. Their father had just bought a new Pioneer a few weeks ago (was on top of my list until I saw the seats) and its been a total disaster, it has more trailer miles than trail miles and its in total pieces in the shop now with transmission and oil pressure issues that they can't seem to diagnose. Our X4 has been perfect, knock on wood!

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha Wolverine X2
1,353 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
That sucks to hear about the Honda and Kawasaki. With this run of bad luck on normally reliable brands and the Wuhan virus, I think China is trying to sabotage everyone. There was a time when Japan would never had associated itself with parts from China. Maybe they need to go back to those days.

·
Administrator
2,717 Posts
That sucks to hear about the Honda and Kawasaki. With this run of bad luck on normally reliable brands and the Wuhan virus, I think China is trying to sabotage everyone. There was a time when Japan would never had associated itself with parts from China. Maybe they need to go back to those days.
Keep in mind that it's the Japanese plants that had to close down along with the assembly plants in GA, not necessarily obtaining parts from China (although that may be a small possibility).

21 - 40 of 40 Posts