Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m not up on the competition in regard to SxS,s but I always had great luck with my Rhino and the kids dirt bikes. I had lots of problems with my last two Polaris four wheelers So Why did you choose the Wolverine??? Over Polaris, Honda Can Am etc.. what are the major differences. It looks like Polaris has the market share.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I needed a 4 seater that is roughly the size of the X4. That narrowed it down to the X4, Teryx4 and pioneer 1000-5. I felt the X4 was the best overall, not the fastest, the most HP, most suspension travel, or the biggest. But it checked all the boxes, and was in my eyes, the best do it all for a family truckster in this size class. Yamaha is obviously known for its quality also so that is a huge plus. Had many over the years and they have been good.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
511 Posts
There's a ton of info out in the ether as to why Popo has the market share instead of Yamaha. What it boils down to is Yamaha got sued big time due to injuries associated with rollovers in the Rhino when they first came out. Polaris saw what went wrong with Yamaha's introduction and learned from Yamaha's pain. The Rhino started the SXS wave then fell off the board in the tube of the gnarly wave. Polaris rode the next wave all the way to the bank. Yamaha paddled back out and is trying to snatch another big one with their 5 year model release marketing ploy. Lots more to it in detail, this is just what stuck in my brain.

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
1. Dependability
2. SXS That fit my needs
3. Relationship with my dealer (Sales, service, and parts) support with previous 3 ATV's
4. Owned plenty of Polaris snowmobiles, didn't want to deal with the constant maintenance and repairs anymore.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1. Dependability
2. SXS That fit my needs
3. Relationship with my dealer (Sales, service, and parts) support with previous 3 ATV's
4. Owned plenty of Polaris snowmobiles, didn't want to deal with the constant maintenance and repairs anymore.
Morsno. My dealer was a deciding factor as well. When I first starting buying my kids early bikes and 4 wheelers my dealer recognizes my loyalty and records and understands I have purchased 9 products over the years 4 which were Polaris and they were maintainence nightmares.. he finally discontinued Polaris dealership.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Someone started a thread on the Grizzly forum a while back. I pasted my post from that thread. This reasoning is why I bought my R-Spec. I really like the machine but sometimes I think a Viking would have been a better choice for my family simply due to the extra seat and larger bed.

"My main reason for Yamaha is I trust the brand. I grew up riding Yamaha machines and all of those machines were extremely reliable. Some of them were well taken care of and others were totally neglected and still lasted for 20+ years. My parents still have a Moto4 from 1987 but it isn't safe to ride anymore (no brakes). That machine made it through 15 years of hard farm work before we lost our farm, and 4 kids worth of abuse with little to no maintenance. I frankly can't believe it still runs... Anyone need a parts machine?

I live in Polaris and Arctic Cat country and I researched them all before I jumped back into the ATV world. Some of my neighbors actually work for Polaris and it bugs them when they drive by and see my Yamahas on the trailer. I bought my first Grizzly (used 2002 660 with under 1000 miles) a little over six years ago. I had been out of the game for 18 years or more and I had all the confidence in the world in that machine. That machine ended up being a mistake simply because it had lived a short and very hard life. I didn't know it at the time but the previous owner had run it out of oil after swamping it. That being said, it never stranded me or anything but it had residual issues that surfaced after I bought it. Since I bought that old 660 six years ago (traded for my 2012 Grizzly 700), the rest of my family has gotten back into riding. We (my extended family) now have two Grizzly 80's, one Bear Tracker 250, one Kodiak 400, three Grizzly 660's, one 550, one 700, one Viking, a Wolverine R-Spec, and one lonely Arctic Cat HDX (my Dad's - he's an old Arctic Cat guy from the early 70's). The nice thing about these machines is that they are all very user serviceable and reliable for a long time. There is no need to run to the dealer for the "check engine" light and with a little basic maintenance, they all have performed as I would expect. I need to take a moment and thank my Grizzly Central brethren for all the help they have given me for all the experience and expert advice in keeping these Yamahas on the trail.

Some would call me a "fan boy" but the little bit of work that has needed to be done on all of these machines over the years speaks for itself from my experience. A few axles, seals, wheel bearings, brakes, knuckle bushings, carb cleanings, and basic oil changes are really all any of us have had to do. A couple of them burn a little oil but they have earned the right to drink a little. That, in my opinion, is what makes me trust my Yamaha machines. Your opinion and experience may vary."

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That’s a great tribute to the brand Mndirtrider and I agree as well. I grew up riding Kawasaki and there were no other substitute. When my kids got old enough to ride I wanted to get them Kaws but there were no dealers close by so I met with my local Yam dealer and opted for Yamaha and it has served my family well. So from what you guys are saying for the most part is that you bought most likely for the brands dependability and I’m sure there are other reasons but mainly reliability. Thanks for sharing your experience.

·
Registered
443 Posts
1. Prior experience with Yamaha dependability with atv and dirt bikes.
2. Wolverine was spec’d exactly as I would want for a recreational hunting sxs.
3. You really get a lot in the X1 for the price.

I have never regretted the decision to buy my gen 1 Wolverine. I love every minute I drive that buggy. As much as I like the X2, I cant justify the substantial cost difference.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had a bunch of polaris stuff in the last 20 years. I have watched them slowly decline in build quality while increasing prices due to popularity. My first SXS was an arctic cat sport. It has been pretty good but we now have a need for a 4 seater. I was really hoping for an Arctic Cat sport sized 4 seater but I got tired of waiting. I looked and the hondas, didn't like the DCT and the 700 would have been underpowered. Also the rear seats were very uncomfortable. I looked at the Teryx and really thought that would be the machine for me. I demoed one and was completely underwhelmed. Then the X4 came out. I looked at them, watched reviews, got excited about it. I then talked myself out of it and bought my wife an Arctic Cat trail as this was the cheaper option. 2 days later I demoed an X4 and instantly regretted that decision. The X4 was awesome. It was quiet, it was pretty peppy and nimble. Luckily she decided that she doesn't like riding her own. I finally found a good deal on a left over X4 and sold the trail for about event money. I am hoping that the X4 lives up to the yamaha rep for reliabliltiy. I wil be keeping the AC sport for when my son and I go riding but the X4 will be our primary ride I believe.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My wife's Grizzly 450 was a paragon of reliability, as is my King Quad, but Suzuki doesn't seem to want to be part of this conversation. When I decided that the effects of my disability were making riding the KQ problematic, I started looking at suitable SxSs with both sporting and utilitarian capabilities. My search corresponded with the introduction of the new X2. Further investigation and reading and watching every review confirmed. My dealer was willing to sell me an X2 R-Spec SE at the price of an R-Spec. Too good to pass up.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
1.) Yamaha reliability. I had a 2007 Yamaha Rhino 450 that never had an issue.
2.) The Yamaha reputation.
3.) Quality fit and finish.
4.) Bacause it's a Yamaha :headbang:

·
Registered
110 Posts
I liked the look and price and reliability of the wolverine and my delaership played a big part in my decision also. I wanted to be relatively close for service and repairs. I previously bought a king quad from them and they were good to work with for the most part so I stuck with them when purchasing my sxs. I didn't have any Yamaha experience in the past but I've read about their reliability and since stuff is always breaking on sxs's in general I wanted something that had the smallest chance of this and like I said was pretty close to wear I keep it.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I've owned Honda and Yamaha ATV's for years. I drive thousands of miles every year. I graduated from Honda three wheelers to quads. I then moved on to Yamaha ATV's. Not once have I ever had to be towed because of a mechanical failure. I've needed a tow a few times because I was up to my waist in mud but that's part of the fun. They've all been bulletproof.
A good friend of mine has a 2007 Yamaha Grizzly with 12,000 miles on it. It has had one set of wheel bearings replaced and 3 sets of tires and brakes. No other issues at all. When it was time to purchase a side by side Honda & Yamaha were tops on my list. Not because they are the fastest but because I know I will get home at the end of the day.
I have a friend that purchased a couple of Arctic Cats over the years and had nothing but problems. I have another friend that is a devoted Polaris guy. He seems to be at the dealer every 2 or 3 months with problems. I did own a couple of Can Am ATV's. They were fairly reliable. The Can Am was on my short list but I thought the Honda or Yamaha would definitely be more reliable. The only reason I considered Can Am was I thought I would go with something 50" wide. The wider stance of the Wolverine is much more stable. The extra width hasn't presented a problem so far. When I read about the X2 with the 850 twin it was a no brainer.
I love my X2.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My first motorcycle as a teenager was an old 1970 Yamaha DT125 followed by a 1976 Dt175 a few years later of doing odd jobs to pay for it. I've owned a Honda dirt bike (head warped) Suzuki PE175 (had issues then it was stolen) Yamaha Blaster (fun little ATV) long absence of toys then a Yamaha XT350, Suzuki DR650 Yamaha WR250R which i still have and a Grizzly 700. I've had the best luck with the Yamaha stuff. Never had any interest in a SxS until a friend let me take her RZR 800 for a spin. I decided to stick with Yami as it was a work play vehicle.

·
Registered
326 Posts
After owning a number of offroad & on road Yamaha's I bought my first Rhino in 2004. I was one of the millions waiting for a twin and the quieter wolverine with it best in class CVT system

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bought my first Yamaha back in 1976 never had many issues with any of the Yamaha snowmobiles I have so why change. I also tested a couple of other brands and just like the Yamaha better.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Besides having owned some ultra reliable Yammy products (still have a 1980 Bravo sled and a 1977 DT100 bike that are still in use, both with very little maintenance required), I knew I wanted Jap over North American because of an acquaintance in the biz who sells Yamaha and Polaris. He was told by Yammy that he needed to order/stock more SxS, and if he didn't that they would yank that line from him. He told them he'd like to, but that he did not physically have the room for more inventory AND that unlike Polaris, he rarely made any money on servicing Yamaha products, especially compared to the constantly full service department of busted Polaris machines. He is still selling Yammy SxS, so I guess they worked it out.

I had also advice from buddies who have been wheeling for years. They said "if you are going to trade in every year or have it no more than 1000 miles, then buy North American. If you think you will keep it for longer, buy Japanese."

Another story from a friend. He bought a Polaris 800 ATV a couple years ago, and had a few minor things happening with it, but was overall very impressed with the ride and power. He had it in the shop for whatever and the mechanic (a good friend of his) said to him, "you have 1000miles on this thing already (it was just under a year old). You should trade it in right now, or go into the manager's office and purchase an extended warranty."

All machines have their problems but when it comes to overall quality, the Japanese stuff gets my vote.

·
Registered
71 Posts
When I bought my first 4 wheeler almost 20yrs ago, I looked at all of ‘em. I loved the aggressive look of the Yamahas more than the others. I also knew (from friends, etc) that their reliability was at/near the top, and even back then folks I knew with Polaris (other brand I really liked the looks and features of) were having more issues than my friends with any of the Japanese brands. So I bought a Big Bear 400 - great 4 wheeler! I sold it to a buddy when a coworker was selling his newer Kodiak 400. Honestly, kinda regretted that as the manual Big Bear was lighter, quicker and better in mud. I eventually decided to sell it and get a 2010 Grizzly 700 EPS, which I still have! It has low miles/hours cause I only use it hunting, but has only had to have the battery changed twice, and still fires right up every time!

During that time, I also got into motorcycles. Started with an older used Suzuki 800cc something - it was ok and got me hooked, but wasn’t enough”. So I sold it and bought a Yamaha FZ1 - wow! What a bike! Loved it! But after several close calls (mostly car drivers almost plowing me over a few times), decided it wasn’t smart (married, 2 young boys). So I sold it... sad day!

Anyway, have always loved Yamaha’s offerings in all categories! Their designs appeal to my tastes, and their reliability satisfies the engineer in me! So I always check out other brands just in case, but honestly I lean heavy towards Yamaha from the beginning!

Reactions: MORSNO

·
Registered
36 Posts
I researched every Wolverine X4 Youtube video comparison I could find. Everyone picked the X4. Legendary transmission. Shorter wheelbase. Convertible back seats. Price. 850 motor quiet and strong. Overall Yamaha quality. I do love Hondas but the Talon would have been $7,000 more. I couldn't equate the difference. The wife didn't like the Pioneer. Too utilitarian. No to Polaris and Can-Am. Kawa Terx had 10 hp less.

Reactions: Andy Ibb343
1 - 20 of 40 Posts