Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the air intake is at the highest point under the hood, which is awesome. I also know that there it's either the belt intake or exhaust under the bed and has a metal deflector.. this is the intake that worried me as I went through high water last weekend.

Is this the belt intake or exhaust, where is the other intake or exhaust located. When I snorkel my grizzly I raised the air intake inlet, as well as the cvt intake and exhaust.

I'm wondering just how deep you can realistically go without the need to snorkel. For the record I'm not planning to use the wolverine as a boat but I would like to know how far I can go safely.

Any thoughts, I haven't spent to much time diving into the mechanics of the machine as I keep it garaged at my aunt and uncles ranch. In take it out, ride it, clean it and it's back up... so far

·
Registered
347 Posts
Looking at mine it looks like if your ass is getting wet you better get to higher ground. I dont ride deep water at all like some but I was thinking of snorkeling this thing once they come out just because they are mounted low. The intake is plenty fine but the Clutch vents are lower than I like.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking at mine it looks like if your ass is getting wet you better get to higher ground. I dont ride deep water at all like some but I was thinking of snorkeling this thing once they come out just because they are mounted low. The intake is plenty fine but the Clutch vents are lower than I like.
That's my thoughts as well.

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
The metal deflector you see is on the exhaust from the CVT. The intake can be seen if you remove the side panel and rear inner fender well. It is about the same height as the exhaust. I would say a good rule would be as previously stated, if your ass is wet, time to get out, its too deep! Each tube would be able to be snorkeled, but it would not be easy unless you want to cut a hole for each through the bed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello folks, I'm new around here.

Something is strange with the ducting on the Wolverine. The Viking appears to have the same system, but the the way the three ducts are combined is different from the Wolverine. The duct on the Wolverine with the metal deflector should be an intake, it is on the Viking, and it feeds to the center of the secondary clutch on the outer clutch cover. The inner crank case cover holds the other intake, which feeds to the backside center of the primary clutch. On the Viking, these two are grouped together and fed by the same large hooded intake duct. The exhaust is on the outer clutch cover next to the outer/movable primary clutch. The Wolverine has the latter two combined, or the primary intake and exhaust combined under the large hood... essentially, it is recycling part of the hot belt exhaust back into the primary feed. If my description doesn't make sense, please let me know... I feel as though I may be missing something with the Wolverine duct design.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Good info, Timmi.

After digging a bit further, the Wolverine still appears to be recycling the belt exhaust into the front intake. The flimsy section of the duct in your video is the belt exhaust, and it it is combined with the primary intake. Lower belt temperatures anyone?

·
Registered
25 Posts
So looking at this picture that Timmi posted in another thread, we can see in the prototype pictures of the Wolverine, the CORRECT routing of the cvt ducts. Note the large hood feeds the back side of primary, and the center of the secondary. Could someone confirm that a production model has this? The fiche shows it differently from this.

wolverine engine.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
So looking at this picture that Timmi posted in another thread, we can see in the prototype pictures of the Wolverine, the CORRECT routing of the cvt ducts. Note the large hood feeds the back side of primary, and the center of the secondary. Could someone confirm that a production model has this? The fiche shows it differently from this.

View attachment 1403
This picture is what my machine is setup like. I have refrained from posting in this thread so far since I don't have my machine home to look at(in the shop right now), and even though I thought I remembered mine being different than what you described, I didn't want to say so without being sure. However, after looking at the picture here, this looks like the same way my machine is setup.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks Ford. If one looks at the Fiche, it shows the hook up differently. Part 39 is connected to the primary exhaust, not the secondary intake.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
Damn. After looking at the parts diagram you're making me second guess myself lol. I wish I had my machine to check. Well, Timmi it's up to you tonight lol!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks Deeyoh. So the fiche is wrong, interesting.

If anyone is interested, there is a way to add a second exhaust port to the secondary clutch by using Grizzly parts.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Damm I should have looked at this harder. I was thinking the intakes for the CVT where up high under the hood. So how would you snorkel this setup?

I have seen many rhinos with the snorkels coming up from between the bed and the cage area.

Where are the CVT openings on a Grizzly 700?

·
Registered
25 Posts
It has one intake on the backside of the primary, just like the Wolverine. The exhaust is on the back side of the secondary... Using the Grizzly cover part # B16-E5421-00-00 would allow a second exhaust to be run. There may be hoses or wires that will require rerouting to accomplish this, but I suspect the gains in belt cooling would be worth it. If we could add cooling fins/fan to the back side of the secondary, things would get even better.

·
Engineer
1,776 Posts
If we could add cooling fins/fan to the back side of the secondary, things would get even better.
This is my secondary clutch on my Rhino, it is actually is the same as the Wolverine's, same components. I machined cooling slots into both sides. They keep the belt cool and when fully submerged under water, they aid in keeping my belt gripping.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts