Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When are you guys doing it. The dealer said first oil change is at 10 hours. But I can’t find it in manual. Everything says at 20 hours.
rmax 4 1000
Thanks

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha RMAX 2 XT-R 1000
1,609 Posts
When are you guys doing it. The dealer said first oil change is at 10 hours. But I can’t find it in manual. Everything says at 20 hours.
rmax 4 1000
Thanks
It's 20 hours or 150 miles. I worry about your dealer, sounds like one of those that thinks he knows but really doesn't.

Rectangle Font Slope Material property Parallel

Reactions: Geo

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
This has been debated here before. Some say follow the manual others say do it right away to remove any assembly lubes. Personally, I'd follow your dealer's recommendations. 1. It's in the middle of what most here have recommended. 2. If you ever have any issues, you can fall back to doing what the dealer told you to do. You might want to get their recommended service schedule in writing. This assuming your doing the service yourself. Otherwise follow the manual. No reason to pay the dealer more than you need to.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
4,365 Posts
At lot of low speed driving building up hours ain't going to cut it for the engine nor front/rear diffs. You'd need to have reasonable trail or street driving at street limits speeds at least for the majority of that interval. This is for parts to break in their surfaces and the oil change is primarily to get the bits out of the system the oil is in so it doesn't start wearing areas. Those bits will appear by the next longer interval and you have to or should do an much earlier oil change again a lot lower mileage. I'd be focusing on the miles a the go to threshold. Just saying how I look at it.

For those jumping up/down that the filter maybe clogging up with packing grease and if its still used in these engines Yamaha makes. Change the oil filter only after an hour or to of actual driving to purge the bulk out. After the filter dump carry on to the 150 mile mark at least with the original oil. Cruising the back lot is not doing squat IMO.

Reactions: therebel19

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha RMAX 2 XT-R 1000
1,609 Posts
This has been debated here before. Some say follow the manual others say do it right away to remove any assembly lubes. Personally, I'd follow your dealer's recommendations. 1. It's in the middle of what most here have recommended. 2. If you ever have any issues, you can fall back to doing what the dealer told you to do. You might want to get their recommended service schedule in writing. This assuming your doing the service yourself. Otherwise follow the manual. No reason to pay the dealer more than you need to.
Yep, that certainly couldn't hurt either!

Reactions: therebel19
1 - 6 of 6 Posts