Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i know this is a Yamaha forum but i need a little advice my stepdaughter needs wheel bearings for her polaris sportsman 500. Looking at these they look decent or do you think i should go oem. I just did this on my sportsman 400 its a fairly easy job I believe the dealer charged me almost 200$ for the oem bearings.

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
Best answer would come from a Polaris forum for sure.
I know all my popo buddies have to grease them before install.
Rzrs dudes have said 20 pumps per bearing but might not be that much for a ATV.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I can't tell from the ad image where they source them but you can take them or the number into a bearing supply house and they can give you a variety of prices based on quality.

Of course if it is simple enough for you to replace and she isn't abusing them the basic ones will work for a while just need to service more frequently.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ended up finding all 4 Polaris OEM bearings on eBay for 60$ with shipping. Great deal considering I payed over a hundred bucks more from the dealership.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Best answer would come from a Polaris forum for sure.
I know all my popo buddies have to grease them before install.
Rzrs dudes have said 20 pumps per bearing but might not be that much for a ATV.
Be careful when pumping grease into bearings. Too much grease is just as bad as not enough grease. 20 pumps is way to much grease.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I remember correctly it’s a sealed bearing with no zerk. They come pregreased I have heard of people pulling off the cover and using there finger to add grease.

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
Be careful when pumping grease into bearings. Too much grease is just as bad as not enough grease. 20 pumps is way to much grease.
I agree. They added the grease prior to install and it took that much to fill the bearing.
I browsed/searched the Rzr forum to check it out at the time and it seems to be a common number.
His Rzr was only 6 months old and not many miles, but they seem to be prone to bearing issues from what my buddies tell me.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If I remember correctly it’s a sealed bearing with no zerk. They come pregreased I have heard of people pulling off the cover and using there finger to add grease.
Most bearings are "sealed" so to speak. Sense the sarcasm? Common bearings in the atv/sxs world have two differt types of bearings, single row and double row (just to make it easy to describe). Single row bearings have a seal that can be pulled out so as to put more grease in,which is generally a good idea as the manufacture puts enough Vaseline in there to just coat the bearings themselves.Then replace the seal. Double row bearings you cannot pull the seal, but as luck would have it,there is a tool you can buy that fits into the bearing so you can give it a few pumps of grease. I highly recommend greasing new bearings.

When my X2 bearings fail,I will put grease fittings in the front spindles and rear knuckles. Then pull one of the seals out of each bearing and put them towards the fittings. I did this to my Rhino and it worked great.

Reactions: Paul65

·
Registered
112 Posts
I agree. They added the grease prior to install and it took that much to fill the bearing.
I browsed/searched the Rzr forum to check it out at the time and it seems to be a common number.
His Rzr was only 6 months old and not many miles, but they seem to be prone to bearing issues from what my buddies tell me.
The problem with Polaris bearings is the fact they dont use outer seals like Yamaha does. There are other manufactures that don't use the outer seals either which is dumb.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts