Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

December is when I pull the trigger on a Wolverine or RZR. Getting close

What is the verdict on the Wolverine reliability; in particular because it is the first year?

Is it living up to the Yamaha name?

Are the dealers acting better than Polaris dealer reputations?

I have been perusing the site and haven't seen too many issues; but I realize the board is a lot smaller than the RZR board.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'll be the first to chime in here.

IMHO you cannot go wrong with any Yamaha product. I've owned a Yamaha Nytro XTX sled now for 5 yrs. Zero issues with motor or clutch (same belt after all this time). I've owned Yamaha dirt bikes and have buddies who still ride their 04 and 05 WR 450's. These too have had minimal issues. They and myself, have kept us with regular maintenance including oil and filter changes. Valves stay in place and motors are simply put...extremely reliable. Now that said...they are still mechanical (like any motor) and could fail tomorrow...but I've always had very good luck. I had a Honda 450 Foreman for 17 yrs and had zero issues as well (one top end...but that was the Zambuka's fault, not mine.....lol)
I won't say anything bad about another product....karma you know....but really I've never actually owned any Polaris product. Didn't even consider one when I bought my Grizzly or Wolverine. Did test ride and consider the xt 1000 Commander, but never gave it a second thought when I drove away from the dealer. I've only ever owned Yamahas or Hondas because I still believe they are just a better put together machine. The Yammies however, have a proven clutch system...better than any other IMO. And have solid plastics with well thought out, yet simple and rider friendly designs. Fast....? No but I don't need anything faster for my needs...and although the Wolverine will go 80 kph, 30-40 kph is good for me on any sxs or wheeler. But that's me...

Good luck with whatever you decide to buy...and buy what you like!!!

·
Registered
385 Posts
I was the first sale from my dealer when the wolverine came out in April, I now have 1400 miles and not an issue and I do nothing but trail riding. I am totally pleased, and the ride is unbelievable. You'll have to pick which one is best for your riding style. Good luck no matter which one.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have 1500 miles on mine with no issues. Been to The Rockies twice and locally road in some mean stuff.
I contend that what you plan on using it the most....around the farm , hunting, just rail riding dictates what you buy.
I wanted the badest trail machine that was also good around my farm. And slide in and about of easily. It also has a bed that I can haul whatever in.
So far I'm happy with the quality of the Wolverine.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Put mine Wolverine through 1000 miles of trails, mud, water, hill climbing and just needed to change oil and put gas in it. Heck I spent 2 whole days and 120 miles running up and down a creeks that were low. Just a lot of fun and built extremely well. I'm so impressed with Yamaha's bearing and bushing setup.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I can't speak for the sxs. My buddy bought a brand new Scrambler 850 in 2013 and that machine was the biggest POS I've ever seen. He sold it and bought a Grizzly.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
I can't speak for the sxs. My buddy bought a brand new Scrambler 850 in 2013 and that machine was the biggest POS I've ever seen. He sold it and bought a Grizzly.
This speaks worlds..considering that 850 is almost as fast as a stock raptor 700r, to give up that kind of performance to go to a grizzly which has basically the same engine as the raptor, is huge. He must have had an enormous amount of issues.

To the OP:
We have had a few engine issues here, the most recent has just been confirmed that it will be replaced under warranty with a brand new engine. IMO, through all the Yamaha's I have owned, and other makes too, Yamaha and Honda will be the most reliable. The difference between the two is that Yamaha is slightly behind the times in some aspects, mainly just performance, but Honda is WAY behind the times in many aspects. This years release of the pioneer 1000 is a big deal for Honda, this is breaking their mold lol.

As for the Wolverine, it is a wonderfully thought out design, and very well built for reliability overall. It has some quirks, some of which I am sure will be addressed for the 2017 model. But if I had to work for a living, and my money wasn't handed to me for nothing, there is no way in hell I would even consider a Polaris. Period.

·
Registered
395 Posts
December is when I pull the trigger on a Wolverine or RZR. Getting close
-You will have fun with either. If you like the RZR better, get it. I don't know how long you keep your machines but if you want to keep it 4+ years, then the Yamaha may be a better pick. Are you looking at a RZR1000? 900? 800 trail? If its between the Wolverine and a RZR1000, and you want serious wow factor/speed/super cushy ride then the RZR1000 is the way to go. I had a Maverick 1000 for a while and switched to the Wolverine since we do trail riding. The Wolverine is a great simple/nimble machine with manageable power, the best 4x4 system and the best CVT in the business. The guys I ride with in RZRs all seems to constantly worry about their belts.

What is the verdict on the Wolverine reliability; in particular because it is the first year?
-No machine is perfect but I have owned a few machines in my day and the Yamaha is very trustworthy. Its a nice simply/well thought out machine. May not be as sporty or fast as a RZR900/1000 XP but it will go anywhere those machines will. The suspension design is much like the RZR 800. It is sportier than it looks, thats for sure.

Is it living up to the Yamaha name?
-Time will only tell but there is no reason to suspect it will not.

Are the dealers acting better than Polaris dealer reputations?
-My dealer is very good but, like any other brand, some dealers are good and some are bad.

I have been perusing the site and haven't seen too many issues; but I realize the board is a lot smaller than the RZR board.
-Someone had a defective engine but from what I have read, Yamaha is taking care of him. Remember if something is 99.9% perfect, 1 out of 1000 will have issues.

Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This speaks worlds..considering that 850 is almost as fast as a stock raptor 700r, to give up that kind of performance to go to a grizzly which has basically the same engine as the raptor, is huge. He must have had an enormous amount of issues.
Ball joints, Suspension Bushings, Wheel Bearings, Complete frame replacement, and finally the timing gear spun on the crank, all within 2,000 miles. Completely unacceptable IMO. 4,700 miles on my Grizzly riding the same trails at the same pace and I've replaced the wheel bearings and rear knuckle bushings. That is why he purchased a Grizzly.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
Ball joints, Suspension Bushings, Wheel Bearings, Complete frame replacement, and finally the timing gear spun on the crank, all within 2,000 miles. Completely unacceptable IMO. 4,700 miles on my Grizzly riding the same trails at the same pace and I've replaced the wheel bearings and rear knuckle bushings. That is why he purchased a Grizzly.
There ya have it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
If you want power buy the Yamaha YXZ1000R.

I looked hard at the RZR Highlifter and the Wildcat 1000. After reading and watching many reviews, I bought the Wolverine and never looked back.

·
Registered
395 Posts
If you want power buy the Yamaha YXZ1000R.

I looked hard at the RZR Highlifter and the Wildcat 1000. After reading and watching many reviews, I bought the Wolverine and never looked back.
The RZR 1000 Highlifter is awesome but out the door you are probably looking at almost twice the cost of a wolverine. The wildcat 1000 is a nice looking machine. You have some die hard arctic cat fans out there but I think they have struggled with quality.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My experience is very similar to MP5, had a few Honda trail bikes & scooters growing up, first quad was a 1999 Big Bear SE, traded that in for a 2001 Kodiak 400 SE for a few years and sold it. Got back in ATVing in 2011 with a 2001 Foreman 450ES. In 2012 I ordered a new Grizzly 700 SE that I still have today with 3700km on it.
Last year I test drove a few SxS from my buddies, a Ranger 570 and a Teryx4, but I couldn't see buying anything else than a Yamaha so as soon as the Wolverine was announced, I knew that's what I wanted. I only have just under 500km on it but am very happy with it so far. The only other SxS I would have considered was the Commander but I think I did the right choice by staying with Yamaha.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The RZR 1000 Highlifter is awesome but out the door you are probably looking at almost twice the cost of a wolverine. The wildcat 1000 is a nice looking machine. You have some die hard arctic cat fans out there but I think they have struggled with quality.
$18500 plus tax for a 2015 Highlifter. But after reading all the problems the RZR has I passed it up.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I will say my Wolverine will go places I would of never taken my Sportsman 400. Used the winch alot with the 400 and not once with the Wolverine. Deep ruts, steep hills, red clay mud, loose rock, over grown logging roads.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well I gotta say I love the look, feel, and ability this machine has when working. Bought mine in May 2015. Had issues the first two months starting it....turned out to be a faulty 2$ spring in the fuel system somewhere. After that was corrected the thing worked great until two weeks ago. Driving in the dirt road one morning to go hunting moose, got 2 minutes down the road and bang....thing rattled big time and died. Oil was good, fuel and fuel pump were good, spark plug was good and getting spark. She would turn over but not catch....finally after holding her to the floor she caught. Drove her back abt 2 Km's and loaded her aboard. Whole time she sounded like a piston was gonna blow. Yamaha dealership took her apart but could not tell me what the issue was...I find that strange. They even face timed head office...and no answer to the issue. Now they say they will not replace the engine, but will order Al new internal parts and rebuild. Makes me nervous to take this into the deeps woods anymore. Total confidence now gone in the machine...even though I loved it. Only 2500 Km's on it. Not the reliability I knew Yamaha to be. My 2009 rhino I wish I now kept.

·
Banned
420 Posts
Keep us posted on fix results. Hope they get it fixed and it's an isolated problem.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
Well I gotta say I love the look, feel, and ability this machine has when working. Bought mine in May 2015. Had issues the first two months starting it....turned out to be a faulty 2$ spring in the fuel system somewhere. After that was corrected the thing worked great until two weeks ago. Driving in the dirt road one morning to go hunting moose, got 2 minutes down the road and bang....thing rattled big time and died. Oil was good, fuel and fuel pump were good, spark plug was good and getting spark. She would turn over but not catch....finally after holding her to the floor she caught. Drove her back abt 2 Km's and loaded her aboard. Whole time she sounded like a piston was gonna blow. Yamaha dealership took her apart but could not tell me what the issue was...I find that strange. They even face timed head office...and no answer to the issue. Now they say they will not replace the engine, but will order Al new internal parts and rebuild. Makes me nervous to take this into the deeps woods anymore. Total confidence now gone in the machine...even though I loved it. Only 2500 Km's on it. Not the reliability I knew Yamaha to be. My 2009 rhino I wish I now kept.
Oh shit...I wonder if this $2 spring is the same one Todd found to be missing when he pulled his valve cover???? I hope this isn't a sign of things to come for owners with the hard start issue! Keep us posted! Good Luck!

·
Banned
420 Posts
Moose stated his was in fuel system. I thought Todd said his had something to do with compression release. Is this the same spring ?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts