Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha Wolverine X2
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went to the HMT again earlier this week. I rode with nine other SXS's and had a GREAT time....except for when I was on the Rock House Trail. What an painfully bumpy SOB!!! My back still hurts. What can I do help smooth our the ride? I've set my shocks on their softest setting, and I've reduced the air down to around 11 psi on all four tires.

I hear that there might be a high speed compression setting that I can reduce to a softer setting? If so, how can I do this. Seriously, it was a painful day of riding and if I can't fix this I might be selling it.

TIA to all that respond.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I will be there this coming weekend with my X2 with the eibach springs setup, will see how they do. I have had my X2 there before and I did not think it was terrible with the stock tires. Compared to something with a lot of travel like the Rmax though it leaves something to be desired.

I will get back to you next week with some settings changes I made.

Also you posted in the Rmax shock forum

Reactions: Wolvie Hunter

·
Registered
54 Posts
Try disconnecting one or both of the sway bars

·
Registered
266 Posts
My rear is disconnected from my last five miles, makes a large difference.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha Wolverine X2
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Reactions: Dangerdad1101

·
Premium Member
2021 X2 XT-R 850
311 Posts
Install harnesses and let them do the work of holding you in place instead of your muscles. It won't make it a smoother ride but you probably won't be sore either.
Brilliant idea! Anyone know where to get “plug and play” harnesses for an X2?
Harry

·
Registered
62 Posts
Brilliant idea! Anyone know where to get “plug and play” harnesses for an X2?
Harry
Dragonfire makes them for Yamaha Wolverines. You just have to get the mounting kit for the seat belt mounts. These are the 3” ones. They make a 2” version also.
Our trails here are just opening this weekend so I haven’t been out riding other than our land here since I installed them.

·
Registered
433 Posts
If you’re not going to do high speed on sharp turns take the sway bars off. In my opinion you can adjust the suspension till you turn blue in the face and it’s still going to be a rough ride until you remove sway bars.

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
My shock setting thread. Link
It's a general understanding of what each setting does.
Each person will have different settings depending on their terrain and riding style, so the more time you spend comprehending and tweaking will pay off.

I met a guy with a newer Polaris General that had the Fox 3-click shocks and he hated how it rode so he had the shocks resprung and revalved at a shop.
This is a option also as many do it with their machines.

Tire pressure and "composition" contribute to ride quality also.
I've tried a few different tires and I was surprised at how much this contributes. Even at lower pressures, some tires still don't produce a soft ride, so that is always something to consider when tire shopping.

Aftermarket shocks are another option.
I would look at the Walker Evans myself. They make them for the X2 & X4. Link.
I've heard a X4 with Walker shocks rides better than the RMAX4 with Fox 3-clicks.

·
Premium Member
2021 X2 XT-R 850
311 Posts
Install harnesses and let them do the work of holding you in place instead of your muscles. It won't make it a smoother ride but you probably won't be sore either.
I ordered these and the switch jumper connector. It never occurred to me that a harness would help prevent body fatigue. 🤪

Thanks for stating the obvious.
Harry

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have my shocks with the JBS springs on all soft all around and it did a really good job keeping up with the Rmax and absolutely crushed the stock 850 Rspec.

There is still a lot of room for improvement as far as slow speed smoothness goes. I may be getting Walker Evans soon lol.

I adjusted the rebound full out and then 2 clicks back in and it made it even more plush for the little bumps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts