Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha RMAX
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a new RMAX2 XT-R, and patiently waiting for it to come in. It is going to come with the 30 x 10.00R-14 Maxxis Carnivore tires and I will be doing 80% of my driving here at home and on gravel roads and 20% of my time on logging roads and on trails. Is there a better tire I should look for use here at the house as I hear the gravel roads eat up these stock tires. I don't mind taking it down to the local tire shop before a big trip to switch them out for something more "trail capable".

Thanks for the help,

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,661 Posts
They're a good tire. So it depends on a lot. But you can be happy with them until they're worn out then see what you might want differently. Some tires are very highly priced for no good reason and depends on where you get them from. I am sure there will be a lot of input on this.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,661 Posts
I bet they're costing more than the much bigger Jeep size. Good for new machines with the rim size covered.

Reactions: Grillin and Chillin

·
Registered
2022 RMAX2 1000 XT-R
66 Posts
For the riding you describe I'd say take a look at the M1 Evil, saw some on a SxS in WV and they looked great, good reviews as well.
Those M1 Evil's look nice. 1 inch tread depth is awesome. I'll put them in my wish list. Big concern for me is Max Load. M1 Evil's 30x10R14's are rated at 785lbs. The BFG's are rated 1760lbs. Rmax2 weighs ~1800lbs. I'm coming from a truck/Jeep world to UTV's and figure load ratings are important. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I just ordered a new RMAX2 XT-R, and patiently waiting for it to come in. It is going to come with the 30 x 10.00R-14 Maxxis Carnivore tires and I will be doing 80% of my driving here at home and on gravel roads and 20% of my time on logging roads and on trails. Is there a better tire I should look for use here at the house as I hear the gravel roads eat up these stock tires. I don't mind taking it down to the local tire shop before a big trip to switch them out for something more "trail capable".

Thanks for the help,
I don’t think you will mind the carnivore for the riding you talk about. It’s a pretty good all around tire and if you air them down they ride quite well and are pretty flexy. That BFG KM3 is truly one of the best tires out there for quality and general trails and especially rocks.
Another tire that is priced better and very similar is the Tusk Terrabite. If you go with the Kevlar option in it then your looking at about as good a tire as the KM3. The only reason I don’t run a Terrabite is because they run pretty small and I’m always looking for the extra clearance for rock crawling. If you went them I’d buy a 32” and you’ll end up bout 30.5. I think the carnivores sit around 29.25-29.5” new. The choices are endless and you can begin to get sick of researching it.
If you ride deeper mud or snow seasonally then the Carnivore will perform better in those conditions than the other 2 mentioned so you could save them for those times.
In the past I used to run winter tires and summer tires. I did what you said and had a tire shop swap them out many times. I got to thinking about the cost of that at 10.00 per tire each time and it doesn’t take long for it to add up to the price of another set of wheels. I’ll never do that again. I just buy an extra set of wheels and swap back and forth for riding conditions at home.
Just something to consider.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Those M1 Evil's look nice. 1 inch tread depth is awesome. I'll put them in my wish list. Big concern for me is Max Load. M1 Evil's 30x10R14's are rated at 785lbs. The BFG's are rated 1760lbs. Rmax2 weighs ~1800lbs. I'm coming from a truck/Jeep world to UTV's and figure load ratings are important. What do you think?
I recently saw a video talking about this subject for UTV tires and the way they explained it was the tire weight rating times 4, so the M1s would technically be rated to support a 3140 pound machine.

·
Registered
2022 RMAX2 1000 XT-R
66 Posts
I recently saw a video talking about this subject for UTV tires and the way they explained it was the tire weight rating times 4, so the M1s would technically be rated to support a 3140 pound machine.
That theory sounds great until you take the weight off of one tire. Then it would times 3. I like the times 2 theory, myself.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Also remember that tire load rating is based on psi. It is good to know the psi manufacturer uses to rate their tires when you research and buy. If you can't find that on any published material, it has been my experience that a good reputable tire company will respond to a contact email or answer the phone question to customer service or the technical department. So if you run more or less psi than rated, it should be considered.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha RMAX
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also remember that tire load rating is based on psi. It is good to know the psi manufacturer uses to rate their tires when you research and buy. If you can't find that on any published material, it has been my experience that a good reputable tire company will respond to a contact email or answer the phone question to customer service or the technical department. So if you run more or less psi than rated, it should be considered.
Thank you VERY MUCH for all the great info!!!

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Thank you VERY MUCH for all the great info!!!
Rockabilly is another real good all around tire that covers a pretty broad spectrum of riding.
Their load rating is based on only 8psi. I think that is where I saw the info about load rating of the tire times 4!

Reactions: DirtRoadWarrior

·
Registered
2022 RMAX2 1000 XT-R
66 Posts
Rockabilly is another real good all around tire that covers a pretty broad spectrum of riding.
Their load rating is based on only 8psi. I think that is where I saw the info about load rating of the tire times 4!
Ya, the KM3's give you load rating at max PSI. Very good point. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I would like to add that I am partial to dealing with reputable tire companies and have had UTV tires warranted and replaced by Carlisle/ITP and Maxxis. I would also add that the Maxxis situation was aided by Discount Tire who I purchased them through and they stood up and paid the return shipping of the questionable tires. I do believe that Maxxis would have still honored the warranty, but working thru a tire dealer I believe makes it easier with a tire dealer credibility. My Discount Tire dealer will not touch a beadlock wheel due to corporate policy, which is fine with me cause I would not recommend any tire monkey I ever met to touch mine. Use a qualified mechanic to do your beadlocks if you do not have the skillset and proper equipment.
Remember to retorque bead bolts every 200 miles and retorque wheel nuts especially on new rims after first 75 miles. I know I know some will say no need but ............
Further with your 100+ HP probably no concern for power loss, but on my smaller displacement car I am looking at Carnivores and XTR 370s, in the same size and they are over 7 lbs difference in weight. The XTR will no doubt wear longer but at + 7 lbs of dead tire weight, I am thinking that is a lot of wheel spin and getting something to the ground the majority of the time. So if you race your buddies a lot or you want bragging rights for crawling, then the weight could make a difference in choosing.

Reactions: Budro2

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I took a real good look at 370s. I think they are a great tire, better than carnivore, but the weight knocked them right off my list. They are even heavier than Km3s and roxxzillas!

There are so many factors in choosing the right tire for your riding. Just when you think you found it, they don’t make it in the size you need, or they do but they run over an inch smaller than listed number, or the price is way to high, or they are very heavy. It’s a tough order to fill sometimes.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
That theory sounds great until you take the weight off of one tire. Then it would times 3. I like the times 2 theory, myself.
Good point, respect the perspective, however when this happens the likely hood of you are being at real risk going more than a few MPH seems unlikely. If you are already in this situation at high risky speeds then you have probably already started into a barrel roll or you are landing a really big jump in the sand.

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
1,951 Posts
I've been way happy with the Maxxis Libertys I put on mine. They're great on dirts and gravel roads as well as pavement, snow too. It's been a while but I think they're only 34lbs for the 30X10X14.

Reactions: Budro2

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000 LE
151 Posts
20210422_165725.jpg

I like my MotoHammer's , made by EFX.
They weigh less than the BFG KM3 , and have a 1000# load rating I believe.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was very pleased with the all around performance of the Carnivore's. I had a set on my Rzr for 2 years and had no problems with multiple riding conditions such at the outlaw trails near Hatfield/ McCoy. While in the mud at Carolina adventure world, my machine would slightly outperform my buddies matching Rzr with Tusk Terrabites. When we were in the deep stuff I kept creeping up on him and had to stop and wait. As far as other tires, i can't say. But I was very happy with the Carnivores and was happy to see the LE2 I ordered was coming with them on already in the square set up. I really like to rotate my tires.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts