Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what fuel is every one running. 87? high octane? non ethanol?

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
Regular 87 octane, there is no reason to use high octane in a normal engine unless you have a turbo or knocking from pre-detonation. We don't have any of that ethanol garbage up here, thank goodness!

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
only non ethanol here is high octane.

·
November WOTM Winner!
882 Posts
There was a good bit of talk about this in another thread. I run premium (usually 93) because its the only thing I can get without ethanol. In my opinion my machine sits too much all fall and part of the winter for me to be leaving anything with ethanol in it

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
I run 87 and add ethanol treatment / fuel stabilizer every fill up. I can't find non ethanol close by so I run the treatment in all of my small engines.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think my
Book said 91 or higher. And the
Head
Mechanic at the dealer said only 91 or better.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
owners manual on page 5-5 simply says recommended fuel: Regular unleaded. not more than 10% ethanol Dealer told me more than 87 was a waste. Sometimes I wonder how many of these recommendations are made on opinion rather than science?

·
Engineer
1,807 Posts
That's a good question. Just got off the phone with a pretty well known Rhino engine builder and he said on the Rhinos (9.8:1), they run 91 in everything. He said when they do have detonation, it breaks the cases just above the crankshaft under the cylinder and they weld them up. These guys run their engines pretty hard in the dunes too. There's a lot of factors involved including fuel mixtures and heat, Wolverines aren't exactly fueled correctly from the get go either. Maybe 87 is okay under normal operation when fueled correctly.

On my Husqvarna 511 I run 12:1 compression and 91 octane isn't enough, I have to have a minimum of 95-96 to keep it from pinging.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Yep. You got that right.
owners manual on page 5-5 simply says recommended fuel: Regular unleaded. not more than 10% ethanol Dealer told me more than 87 was a waste. Sometimes I wonder how many of these recommendations are made on opinion rather than science?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rec 90 only.. ran it in all my atvs they ran cooler with better throttle response.. as soon as I run my first tank out of the wolverine that'll be all it ever gets..

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Found a place about 10 miles out of the way from anywhere I normally travel that has Recreational 89 octane no ethanol. .72 / gal more than 89 with ethanol. Something stinks in the woodpile because I wouldn't think there should be road use tax on Recreational and I think that's another .19. So .91 / gal more to leave out the 10%of ethanol? I realize in the grand scheme of things I don't run that much gas through the Wolvy but that's just robbery.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
non ethanol premium is $2.29 here. regular with 10% ethanol is $1.93. super is $2.59.
i have always run the cheap stuff in everything. chainsaws, trimmer, truck atv,s, sleds, snow blower, so on.
this year was the first time the snowblowers gas was bad when i took it out of the cover it. ran like crap. till it was out of fuel and put new fuel in it. it had fuel stabilizer in it too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts