Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Deeyoh, I know it sounds silly to ask but how does the crush gasket look on the drain plug and the fill plug? If its crushed to much it could be leaking there.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Checked them both and they looked fine. I put some pressure on the Vent line up top and it held air. Wasn't leaking. The vent line did have something in it when I blew it out from the bottom. Couldn't see what came out since the top of the vent line was down between the motor case. May be sitting in a puddle when I wash it or ride through water. Once the diff cools it could be sucking the water back in.

Moved the line out from that location and will see how it goes.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Holy cow.. now I know why I had water showing in my rear diff. Seems the vent hose that I thought was the rear diff up by the airbox wasn't the vent hose. I removed the cover on the passenger side of the gas tank and the vent hose was sitting under the gas tank!! Was finishing up putting the last bolt in for the overfenders.

No wonder that place gets flooded every time I hit any kind of water.

·
Registered
367 Posts
My rear diff is taking way more fluid the the manual is saying. It says .40 of a L that's 400ml and I am at 600ml and it is not coming out the fill hole am I reading some hung wrong ? And yes the drain bolt is in..

Just a thought... I use a power drain. Uses air preassure to suck out the drain hole... my thought the wet brake or diff may have drained more then just a gravity drain ...

·
Registered
388 Posts
I believe I used more than the recommended amount but it was hard to measure as I used a hand pump and some was in the pump a tad bit on the ground. but I think it was close to what they said. How are you putting it in??

·
Registered
367 Posts
I am putting it in with a large syringe. I compared what I put in with what I took out and it is even. My thinking is the wet break holds some oil that I got out. When I split the diff on my friends kingquad 500 their was lots of fluid that came out after draining it as well and it has a wet break. One thing to remember with this wet break setup. People think their will be extra contamination in the oil because of it but the wet break is only the park break not a Breaking system with friction while moving. So their will be next to no contamination from the break ( unless you use it to slide corners like a rally car ) (which I would strongly suggest not doing as this system is a direct drive all the way back to the wet clutch.

·
Lead Super Moderator
2,574 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,464 Posts
I'd use a name brand GL5 for it as well No signature but if you run in the cold or early winter thats what you'd want.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Transmission oil

Hi All! About to do my first service on my 2020 Wolverine X4. The owner’s manual is telling me to use 80w90 for the transmission but the dealership is telling me to use the 10w40 yamalube engine oil. Would there be any benefit to this or should I just run the recommended gear oil?

·
Lead Super Moderator
2,574 Posts
Hi All! About to do my first service on my 2020 Wolverine X4. The owner’s manual is telling me to use 80w90 for the transmission but the dealership is telling me to use the 10w40 yamalube engine oil. Would there be any benefit to this or should I just run the recommended gear oil?
You posted in the wrong section (Gen 1) but you need to find a new dealer. Front/rear diffs and transmission, which is now separate from the engine, all take gear oil. HIGHLY recommend Mobil 1 75W90. You can use the 10W40 Yamalube in your engine.

Reactions: Paul65

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Welcome! Looking forward to hearing more from you. I use the Yamaha oil in the diffs & the transmission. ACC-SHAFT-PL-32 is the part number, I buy it online here: YAMALUBE FRICTION-MODIFIED SHAFT DRIVE GEAR OIL and if you spend over X, shipping is free. I've not found it cheaper anywhere else and Rocky Mountain has been great everytime I've bought anything from them.

Wow, whoever at the dealership told you that is clueless. I don't know of any machine, from any manufacturer, that uses engine oil in gearboxes.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I also use the oem oil for the diffs and transmission.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Welcome! Looking forward to hearing more from you.
Wow, whoever at the dealership told you that is clueless. I don't know of any machine, from any manufacturer, that uses engine oil in gearboxes.
The Yamaha YXZ actually runs engine oil in the transmission. It has a oil pump in it too. Most all dog box motorcycle type transmissions use engine oil in them.

Could have been where dealer was confused on model or just doesn't really know what uses what.
If customer asks definitely not something they should be guessing at.

Trust what the owners manual says to use first and foremost always.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts