Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!!!

Anyone in the upstate New York region near Steuben County know how to tear this all apart and put it back together? I have the machine torn down to access the CVT but boy I’m not sure exactly what the living heck I’m doing!!! I do need the tool to remove the spring.

Email [email protected] !!

Reactions: MassiveOverkill

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Ummm, where to begin....lol.
So you have all the body plastics off, seat and seat bracket removed?
Where are you in the tear down?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ummm, where to begin....lol.
So you have all the body plastics off, seat and seat bracket removed?
Where are you in the tear down?
I have it torn down to get ready for winter and clean out the heater and such! Here is a picture.

The sheave was ordered today with spring and PV3. I can tear the sheave out but I don’t know the tricks of the trade for things like packing grease, torquing to spec, order or events. I just have never done it and I don’t want butcher it.

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have watched Massive tech videos on the sheave. And done numerous searches . I just wanna do it right. And this weller kits comes with primary and secondary I believe and I have to remove that pain in the ass spring Nd replace. Have considered having the dealership remove and replace the spring for me.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Just build your own clutch tool. not even 20$ of material at the metal shop.

Reactions: therebel19

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Watch the sheave vids massive did on the new RMAX. It's pretty much the same.
https://www.wolverineforums.com/forum/268-x2-x4-cvt-sheaves-wet-clutch/31298-yamaha-wolverine-rmax-1000-clutching.html

Link to spring tool.
https://www.hunterworks.com/inc/sdetail/123661/133643

I did a thread on greasing and inspecting.
https://www.wolverineforums.com/forum/268-x2-x4-cvt-sheaves-wet-clutch/30970-need-alternative-ultramatic-grease-3.html#post337560

The Weller sheave I thought was just the 2 primary sheaves with a spacer. The spring is the secondary component.
I don't know enough about the Weller setup to help, but hopefully they sent directions or call them when you get to that point.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Food for thought later....
While you got everything open, you may want to adjust the parking brake and check/seal air duct joints when you go back together.
This lower one especially. I think Yamaha calls for Yamabond, some mention a O2 safe sealer, but I used RTV.
Something to think about...
lowduct.jpg

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Food for thought later....
While you got everything open, you may want to adjust the parking brake and check/seal air duct joints when you go back together.
This lower one especially. I think Yamaha calls for Yamabond, some mention a O2 safe sealer, but I used RTV.
Something to think about...
View attachment 87066

Absolutely I planed on that just due to the amount of oil I drained out of that thing after purchase !!!! Thank you

Reactions: SKELLEY521

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Watch the sheave vids massive did on the new RMAX. It's pretty much the same.
https://www.wolverineforums.com/forum/268-x2-x4-cvt-sheaves-wet-clutch/31298-yamaha-wolverine-rmax-1000-clutching.html

Link to spring tool.
https://www.hunterworks.com/inc/sdetail/123661/133643

I did a thread on greasing and inspecting.
https://www.wolverineforums.com/forum/268-x2-x4-cvt-sheaves-wet-clutch/30970-need-alternative-ultramatic-grease-3.html#post337560

The Weller sheave I thought was just the 2 primary sheaves with a spacer. The spring is the secondary component.
I don't know enough about the Weller setup to help, but hopefully they sent directions or call them when you get to that point.
Thank you sir!!!! You are right my apologies it is the two primary sheaves. The spring is a recommendation from Kyle after I spoke to him.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Way to dive in brother! Honestly so many won’t, I know you’ll get a ton of help.

My help is: don’t be in a hurry to go ride and overlook or skimp. I’ve been guilty of that so I’m qualified for that piece of advice.

You’re in good hands here.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Way to dive in brother! Honestly so many won’t, I know you’ll get a ton of help.

My help is: don’t be in a hurry to go ride and overlook or skimp. I’ve been guilty of that so I’m qualified for that piece of advice.

You’re in good hands here.
Thanks pal. Worse I can do is mess up hahaha !!!

Reactions: Paul65

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You didn't have to tear it down that far but while you have it there, insulate the underside of all the plastics you removed.
Yea I know but I did a Labor Day ride and got real muddy! So I planned on tearing the floors out to clean really well prior to winter. My heater was making some noise so I pulled that apart and cleaned it and vibration and noise gone now. I need to follow up with Tucker’s off-road and actually get this removable skid plate done that we have discussed for months. Just know that that there is mud and debris in that area I can’t get to kills me. Definitely Wish Yamaha would make the belly pans removable!!

And to respond to your suggestion I have considered apply insulation. While I’m in here I’m adding a heat run to point towards our feet and legs to help as well. I have taken tons of time sealing up air leaks into the cockpit ..

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You didn't have to tear it down that far but while you have it there, insulate the underside of all the plastics you removed.
During ride and aftermath!!! I duck at taking pictures during the ride but was a blast at Tall Pines ATV Park Farm Fest weekend!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Brandomartsx, you got any pics of the sheaves or details about the Weller sheave? i.e. spring rate, roller weights, etc.

Reactions: Paul65

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Yep, here comes the homework assignment! Inquiring minds want to know!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Yeah you do if you want to torque all the bolts that yamaha is to lazy to do at the factory...lol... And silicone all those joints while you're in there.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Yeah you do if you want to torque all the bolts that yamaha is to lazy to do at the factory...lol... And silicone all those joints while you're in there.
LOL, however I was able to do mine with just taking everything off on the drivers side.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Brandomartsx, you got any pics of the sheaves or details about the Weller sheave? i.e. spring rate, roller weights, etc.
No when I called Weller I spoke to Kyle for about 20 minutes. I explained tires, cab, and type of riding I do. He explained the three different options for sheave. And then told me for my set up and weight of machine with cab and such the spring would be a great option. Furthermore he explained going greaseless or greased and said he would suggest grease strictly due to maintenance intervals but greaseless is an option. Super nice and very knowledgeable dude glad I called first. The sheave is due to ship Friday and all of his current inventory would be called for on this initial push due to an issue obtaining new sheaves from Yamaha. He never tried selling me anything else and was very patient with my knowledge of these sheaves or lack their of.

I went with the all around sheave rather than the harder lower end pull or better top speed versions as the website lays out. I also spoke about the PV3 and I said ordered that as well.

Long story short. I don’t have pictures YET should ship Friday. As for specs and instructions for all you asked I will be sure to post everything the day I get it.

Thanks

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 126 Posts