Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a 2016 Yamaha Wolverine R Spec (hunter green) delivered on Saturday. I soon have to install the Warn Provantage 3500 winch. I don't anticipate too much trouble with the install however I am wondering where to place the contactor. Not a lot of room there next to the battery with the air intake in the same location. If someone could take a pic of the dealer installed location and post in a reply I would thank you in advance for doing so. I am hoping to do the install tomorrow or the next day and the only other option is to drop by the dealer (bit out of the way....hour drive) and pop the hood on the floor model.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
nevermind. I didn't (at first) see the post titled "winches". That is what I was looking for. :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have the pro vantage, I just took the mounting ears on it and tucked each side under the rubber battery holder. Worked perfectly.
View attachment 14137
Mine doesn't have EPS so I mounted the contactor beside the battery where that big grey box that's part of the EPS system is.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey I thanked you in advance and I thank you now. That looks like a great place to install. Mine has EPS so if it worked for you it should work for me. Did you use the "switch/remote connect" that came with the kit? I expect I will be installing that to the left of the steering wheel. Only thing is I guess I will have to remove the plastics to gain access for wire placement and securing the switch in place.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hey I thanked you in advance and I thank you now. That looks like a great place to install. Mine has EPS so if it worked for you it should work for me. Did you use the "switch/remote connect" that came with the kit? I expect I will be installing that to the left of the steering wheel. Only thing is I guess I will have to remove the plastics to gain access for wire placement and securing the switch in place.
You don't need to take any plastics off. Just drill your hole and fish the wire and find it on the other side. As for the battery, there are plenty of entry points where the factory wires are running.

Pretty simple install. Took me about an 1.5 hours.

On this first pic I have since routed the wire through a hole, grommet rather than running it down where the roll bar goes through the plastics.
IMG_1112.jpg
IMG_1113.jpg

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome pictures. Great placement. One more question though. How did you access the accessory lead if you didn't remove the plastics? I was thinking about connecting into either the red wire off the light switch or power port so no power unless the key is in the run position meaning not connected directly to the battery. Was going to install today but too cold and no heat in my newly built detached garage yet. Am hoping it is going to be warmer tomorrow. Last time I checked we are in Spring now. :)

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
factory winch uses the acc. outlet power. it is keyed

·
Registered
395 Posts
factory winch uses the acc. outlet power. it is keyed
What he said. The OEM kit comes with a plug in harness that goes right into the factory acc power on the passenger side in front of the firewall. If you don't use the OEM kit, you can just splice into them. Or get the factory connector.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Winch installed. Used the connector from the OEM kit. Only took 3 beer to do. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used the oem winch wire to also power up a 30 amp fused relay. That way the 10amp accessory fuse and wiring don't have to take the load of any switched accessories in the future and no cut factory wires.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I used the oem winch wire to also power up a 30 amp fused relay. That way the 10amp accessory fuse and wiring don't have to take the load of any switched accessories in the future and no cut factory wires.
Does anyone know the part number for that oem harness or where I can find it online? (Can't make myself cut into the wiring for hooking up my winch switch)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Don't think they sell it separate. Only with a yamaha Warn winch and a yamaha mounting plate.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I bolted my unit / contactor to the air dam in front of the air intake above the battery. Fit fine and out of the way. Re-enforced the plastic dam both sides with cut down washers.
Best Regards,
Ranger Rick
North Idaho

·
Registered
431 Posts
This is the part number for the winch wire.Wire kit Yamaha 5KM-86171-00-00 found it on another post

·
Registered
511 Posts
Contactor location

IMG_1051_LI.jpg

·
Registered
651 Posts
found that wire connector on amazon for 17.04. i think ill be getting one.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts