Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I just can’t shake this clunking noise in my brand new rmax4 xtr. Attached is a Dropbox link to some videos of me putting around this morning(pay no attention to video just sound if possible) is this noise normal in the cvt drive of this machine or do I need to take it to a dealer and have it serviced? It’s has about 3 hours in it currently. I really hope it normal just want to know so I can sleep at night lol.
Camera Uploads

·
Registered
2021 RMax 2 Gray in Nova Scotia
1,145 Posts
Mine does that and it's totally random. May not happen for 3 days, then the next day may last for 30seconds of 3 hours.

Almost like someone tied a little piece of string with a large nut on the end and it bangs and rattles, then gets hooked up on something and it doesn't move for a few days, then it gets dislodged again.

It's mildly annoying, but I just had a 1200km trek solo. So I have total faith the machine will get me home.

Hello all, I just can’t shake this clunking noise in my brand new rmax4 xtr. Attached is a Dropbox link to some videos of me putting around this morning(pay no attention to video just sound if possible) is this noise normal in the cvt drive of this machine or do I need to take it to a dealer and have it serviced? It’s has about 3 hours in it currently. I really hope it normal just want to know so I can sleep at night lol.
Camera Uploads

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha RMAX 2 XT-R 1000
1,540 Posts
Camera Uploads
Sounds like perfectly normal drive line lash under accel / decel conditions. Try using crawl mode or control and smooth your gas pedal manipulation, you will find it is much smoother. Also with mine, after about 1000 miles, It seemed to really smooth out in all respects.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
4,155 Posts
yeah, sound like transmission back lash play/slop and/or the CVT hook up to the tranny. Gen 1 does it but only starting or reversing from a stand still. But not once you going and working the throttle. That smacking would get unnerving for sure. I am glad thats one noise I don't have.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mine has about quit doing it all together. It’s smoothed out over time. I guess from more break in.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
4,155 Posts
Quality gear engineering and bearing would never create these issues. I wonder is Yamaha is actually making the CVT and transmissions themselves that are currently installed. Symptoms are worst than previous generations which is all wrong. Each gen should be better in all respects but not so. As time passes and we hear more and more its apparent its not a glitch of a one off issue. It therefore appalling that Yamaha is not moving harder faster to put these issues away. However they appear resigned that it ok and deal with it after.

I'd be dammed to put down their kind of money wanted knowing it could do this STILL after nearly a year. I feel the pain of owners who bought into this machine. I no doubt it great if all is 100% but too many are having major inconveniences and breakdowns when new!! Too many...

I was selling my Gen 1 but scheduled my CVT service and new roller and oem guides going in and will drive it for at least 4000km before next year I am sure. I know what it is and the noises are known. I have no issues in going anywhere I point it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Interesting, I have never heard anything like that from my Viking.

·
Registered
Wolverine RMAX 4 XTR 1000
196 Posts
Every SXS I have ever been in has this noise. It is totally normal noise to me and does not bother me at all. In two wheel high in sport mode it does it worse. In 4 wheel drive it rarely happens. but you're on and off the gas is what is causing it. This is not a transmission like what's in your car.

I'm going to tell you now. get a good nights rest it is normal in all SXS.

Now that damn slapping noise at about 30mph is kind of annoying. Like others have said. Sometimes it is there sometimes it is not. Never notice it on dirt roads just on the pavement.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Is it unique to 4wd, or does it also happen in 2wd? My Rmax is pretty new, and I don’t think I’ve heard or felt that kind of clunk. There’s definitely some driveline lash, you’re pushing a pretty good amount of power through driveshafts/cv joints, it’s going to have a little jerkiness sometimes.

I get nervous hearing stuff like this too because many moons ago I broke a transmission mount on a pretty new truck. I kept hearing a clunking sound, much louder, like something banging against the frame or something. It only happened when I was on the gas, over bumpy pavement, or worse. You had to ‘upset’ the suspension a bit to induce the noise.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Sounds like excessive backlash. both of my sxs's do it but not very bad and only on rocky terrain when there is a lot of stop and go over bumps

Reactions: Budro2

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
The more you stab and release the throttle all at once like a on off light switch the more you’ll hear it. If you you treat the throttle like a “LADIE” as one old equipment operator advised me in my youth when running any kind of equipment, the less slam bam you’ll get and thus less wear and tear. Make it a goal in driving while operating the skinny pedal not to hear it.
The entire drive train must have a little play in it everywhere to operate properly. There is slack in the ring and pinion gears slack in the transmission gears. When the belt is off you can rock the secondary sheave back and forth at least 1 1/4”. All this play adds up in slack from one end to the other.
One can make a new backhoe sloppy at every pivot point in the course of a year to where you’ve got to heard the bucket back into the trench just by being a jerky operator or it can be relatively tight for years by being a smooth operator. Same thing applies to UTVs or anything mechanical.
You won’t notice going uphill. The drivetrain is always under load. It’s unavoidable going downhill in rocky terrain.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the advice, I guess I’ll have to just ride it out and see if the noises and clinks dissipate. I just hope I don’t get one of these problem child’s I keep reading about.

·
Registered
2021 Wolverine Rmax4 XT-R
1 Posts
I have the same model with the exact same noise. Very loud and concerning for sure. I'm at 450 miles with the first service completed on time and it hasn't changed. What has changed is the way I drive it and although I can't eliminate it, I have reduced it considerably.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Camera Uploads
It is back lash in the front drive shaft

·
Registered
213 Posts
Belt slap and/or CVT sheave/clutch adjustment out of spec?

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Belt slap and/or CVT sheave/clutch adjustment out of spec?
HUH????

There is NEVER any belt slack and thus no belt slap.
There is NOTHING to adjust or synchronize. One is always in harmony with the other.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
It is back lash in the front drive shaft
It’s not backlash of the drive shaft itself. It’s drivetrain backlash. The driveline just happens to be connected to the front diff or rear final and the transmission where everything has some backlash by design. With the belt off you can rock the secondary sheave on the output shaft back and forth about 1 1/4”. Slop by design. On and off throttle quickly, bouncing downhill in boulders, clunk clunk clunk.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts