Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Okay, The first thing I have to get rid of is the Seat Belt Warning / Limp Mode.
I did not want to cut the wires under the driver seat, so I bought a Seat Belt Harness Override. (Pic Below)
Amazon.com: Seat Belt Bypass FITS: ALL 2016 and Newer Yamaha YXZ 1000R, Viking, Wolverine ALL MODELS VI X2 SS Harness Override Switch Connector Jumper Plug Clip Accessories Over Ride By-Pass 2018 2019 2020: Automotive
I paid $8.75 with Amazon Prime. They are a little cheaper on Ebay if you want to wait longer for delivery.
Install took 5 minutes or less. Take off the Drivers side panel. It's two 4mm Allen Head Screws and two push Rivets. The panel will lift up out of your way. Inside on the right you will see the wire coming out of the bottom of the Seat Belt Latch. Just unplug it and put this Override Harness in. I also put a tie wrap to hold the old plug in place. Put your side panel back on and you are done. You only need one on the Drivers side. Also, you will see another Black Phillips head screw in the panel pic on the lower right. From the factory there was no screw there. I added that one. If you have the same model, let me know if yours came with a screw there.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Next thing I am looking to do is add a Windshield.
I am leaning towards the OEM Yamaha Windshield B4J-F83J0-V0-00. It is the only one I have seen that kind of wraps around the Frame. Seems to me that would deflect cold air and rain..
Anyone have any Windshields they would recommend?
Thanks for any Help.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Having one with ventilation is really nice for the warmer, lower speed cruising days. SuperATV flip up works well for that.
Wrapping right around is a double edged sword if you have tight trails where you're rubbing against trees, I've got some bark marks on my bars that I would't want to put a windshield through.
Polycarb's inevitably scratch but are still a great option. I like the idea of glass with a wiper and squeegee, hit a puddle and just give it a quick squeegee, right now there's a bit more delicate cleaning time that I'd care to have out on the trail, you have to make sure all the dirt is rinsed away with polycarbonate otherwise you'll be scratching it in when you clean it.

All depends on each person's use, if you're strictly fire roads and relatively higher speeds I'm sure the complete visibility of a full solid windshield would be nice.

Reactions: Paul65 and Venom

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
Word to the wise. Plan all your accessories well in advance to ensure that they will work together.

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
Since you asked, I would recommend FreedomUTV
I have the OEM Full; SuperATV half and Rogue Powersports Full Mesh.
If I was to do it all again, I'd get the Freedom and be done.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the heads up on Freedom UTV. I don't know how I missed them in my searches.. I will definitely be going with them. They start shipping the 2021 Wolverine Windshields in two weeks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Added a trailer hitch with Anti Rattle Mount. I used this Hitch on my last ATV. It works great when working around the property. The Anti Rattle mount is awesome. It takes up all the slack in your trailer hitch. I use these now on everything with a hitch. The hitch also is available with a 2" Ball.

Trailer Hitch: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BN375DZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anti-Rattle: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B9J7PB9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
2021 Yamaha Wolverine X2 XT-R 850 #3 Suspension Adjustment
Today I adjusted the suspension to the softest setting.. I live in the woods on 22 acres of trails and I am next to Ocala National Forest where you can ride some incredible trails..
I also have Hog Waller Mud Bog just to the North of Me. Link: Hog Waller Mud Bog 2021
The suspension was pretty stiff and you felt most of the bumps. Once I set it to soft it is a pleasure to drive. Before all those little sharp bumps would make you feel like your teeth would come out. Now you glide over most of the rough stuff. I have been posting YouTube videos for each of my additions and mods . This will be video 3. I will go over the tools and procedure for doing the suspension adjustment. I also scanned the Yamaha Procedure and made it into a PDF file to accompany my video. You can download it below.
To funny, I bought the Yamaha Spanner Wrench for $24.95 + $5.00 Shipping. I just went to get the link to put here and they raised the price to over $40 + Shipping. Instead I will give the Amazon Pit Posse Link:
Amazon.com: Pit Posse PP2649 Adjustable Steering Stem/Spanner/Castle Nut Wrench with 3/8 Drive Cutout for a Torque Wrench Fits Most Bikes Range 22-70mm Made of Steel Automotive Tools: Automotive
In the end I did not even need to buy the wrench as my springs were already set to soft. Measure yours first before you buy the Wrench, it may already be set where you want it.. I was told they were set to standard at the factory... Wrong!
Make sure you jack up the UTV to take all pressure off the suspension before adjusting. Rear wheels need to come off for easier adjustment. Front wheels can stay on. When you put your wheels back on Torque them to 55 Foot Pounds.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
Great Jobe Venom !
Everyone should look at doing this when new or at least verify settings, i.e. measurements and turns of said screws.
Many have noted a difference from one shock to the next.

If I may add a few points..
Once verified, I would get a ride height measurement from the frame to a good ground surface, i.e. garage floor, flat driveway, etc.
Save this measurement in owners manual for reference.
Once the springs settle in, you will get spring sag and the machine will set lower. Now those factory spring settings out the window as you may need to increase the spring load to get ride height back.
You may be good with this sag, but you will also get a negative camber from it where the top of the tire leans in.
This can cause odd tire wear, so it's something to look at.

Soft rebound is good for slow speed, but if you hit jumps or a bump at faster trail speed the vehicle will buck or launch.
Slow speed is body roll.
Link to my KYB settings thread HERE.

Reactions: Venom

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
Here is a pic of the negative camber.
I put my other tire next to it so it is obvious.

I was going to adjust the springs when I put the lift on.
Once the lift was on, the wheel hub was back to plumb so I left the shock alone at that time as I wanted to drive it to see if it needed more adjustment.
After testing, it was still plumb so I left it for now.
I will revisit it and make adjustments if needed when I upgrade Tie-Rods.

My tire wear isn't bad as far as being even, but in person, the drivers side needs to be tightened up a little for sure.
I've checked alignment and it's good now, but new from factory it was screwed up.
My Alignment thread Here.
The rear tires are wearing pretty even, but could probably use a few turns also.

Reactions: ldjbuff and Venom

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great Jobe Venom !
Everyone should look at doing this when new or at least verify settings, i.e. measurements and turns of said screws.
Many have noted a difference from one shock to the next.

If I may add a few points..
Once verified, I would get a ride height measurement from the frame to a good ground surface, i.e. garage floor, flat driveway, etc.
Save this measurement in owners manual for reference.
Once the springs settle in, you will get spring sag and the machine will set lower. Now those factory spring settings are out the window as you may need to increase the spring load to get ride height back.
You may be good with this sag, but you will also get a negative camber from it where the top of the tire leans in.
This can cause odd tire wear, so it's something to look at.

Soft rebound is good for slow speed, but if you hit jumps or a bump at faster trail speed the vehicle will buck or launch.
Slow speed is body roll.
Link to my KYB settings thread HERE.
Thanks for the tips. I will measure ride height today.

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
If you're looking for horizontal rocker switches, I used Rocker Switch Pros. Layout #4 & #5.
You can customize the switch cover with text and symbols.
You also have a choice of bodies to pick what color of light, if any and how you want it to light up. Their switch Bodies.

Edit: If you scroll down, they offer a custom image for a fee. You attach your image in the form.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
While I am waiting for the windshield to arrive I am designing the audio system.. To Start out I will do a Sub, Amp and two Speakers with a Custom Head Unit I am working on.. Once I get the head unit working I will start posting on it.... I don't want to write up everything and it fails...lol

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Today I fixed the loud Tailgate Rattle.. Yamaha does not have a Factory fix for this yet as the latches are non adjustable.. I suspect they will come out with a fatter rubber bumper to replace the existing one. Until then, Here is my quick fix. I had these Anti Skid pads left over from another project. They are hard foam, 1" in Diameter and 1/4" Thick. I had bought them at Home Depot. Home Depot no longer carries them, so I am giving you the Amazon Link:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FFY7X3...olid=2Z12AIGMR6R2K&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

They work perfectly, noise gone. Just stick one on each rubber bumper Left and Right behind the tailgate.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Searching for a Rear View Mirror. Most of all I want it solid with no Shaking / Vibration. I have read good things about the Yamaha Factory Mirror, but I was hoping to find one that sits up a little higher. Anybody have any recommendations I should be looking at?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
Siezmik
They come with rubber spacers.
I used a light coat of oil on the rubber to roll everything down to make it easier to tighten, then rolled it up into place.
Once the oil dried, it is really tight with no vibration or movement.
I like it as it's out and away from my face. I don't even notice it until I look to use it.

The Halo-R with red bezel. They offer other colors too.

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
Fans are for defogging in winter and air on warmer days.
Massives idea and I stole it.....lol.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Siezmik
They come with rubber spacers.
I used a light coat of oil on the rubber to roll everything down to make it easier to tighten, then rolled it up into place.
Once the oil dried, it is really tight with no vibration or movement.
I like it as it's out and away from my face. I don't even notice it until I look to use it.

The Halo-R with red bezel. They offer other colors too.
View attachment 92349

View attachment 92350

Looks like the way to go! Thanks once again...
Also, it looks like Freedom UTV has an estimated shipping time of next week on the new windshields!

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
The Halo-R uses the rubber spacers under the clamp, I'm not sure about other models.
It's a really tight fit with the proper spacers, but a light coat of penetrating oil will allow you to roll it down to help install then evaporate.
That ROPS bar is close and I didn't want a mirror in my face.
The wife uses it a lot in the passenger seat, wife stuff, so it gets moved around a lot and it's still stiff after all this time.

The FreedomUTV windshield look great IMHO and the full venting will help greatly in warmer weather.
Looking forward to your thoughts after install and use.

I added Siezmik vents in my Full OEM windshield and they help get some heat out, but still don't have enough air flow, especially without a rear vented windshield.
I run my SXSEnclosure soft cab rear window all year for dust, rain, snow, etc, so I had to add more ventilation as I'm not going to swap out rear windows and it's easy to add the upper doors if needed.
The other glass windshields that just have venting in front of the seats will be the same.

If you decide to add wipers, think out the placement. There are threads on them also.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts