Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The valve shims have a different part number so I will wait until my dealer finds out what shim they use and has an assortment in stock. Yamaha has a valve clearance check at 200 miles plus again every 1,500 miles. Adjustment is probably not necessary until 10,000 to 25,000 like the road bikes. The spec is intake .004" to .008" exhaust .0087" to .0126" So middle would be in .006" and ex .010 or .011" I expect Yamaha will have the valves set properly.

Polaris on the other hand is a crap shoot. Some are in spec and many have no clearance at all. One of my RZR's was in spec and the other one had no clearance on 3 of the valves. All 4 needed adjustment and the tight valves caused hard starting but the idle was still fairly good.

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
Good info Bob. When I checked the valves on my Raptor and Grizzly at 200 miles they both needed adjustment, though that was a long time ago I don't remember what they were at. However, in talking with the dealer when I bought the Wolverine, he said the valves likely wouldn't need touched for quite a long time, due to the DOHC design. I'm not surprised to hear polaris was a crapshoot..lol

·
Super Moderator
468 Posts
Yeah, I never hear of people having a problem with valves being out of adjustment on Polaris' much, but you having a Raptor and a Grizzly both being out at 200 miles I would be checking the valves on any new Yamaha. Sounds like a crapshoot to me.
I did have to adjust them on a couple of Sportsmans I had, a 450 and a 500, at 200 hours.

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
Anyone check or had their valves checked for the 20 hr service yet? I'm curious whether they will be in spec or not. I need to get ahold of a service manual, as I have never done valves on a DOHC before, and I don't know if it is any different than the SOHC I have done in my other two bikes.

·
Super Moderator
468 Posts
To just check the clearances is pretty quick and easy. Just pull the valve cover off and check them like a SOHC. If they are in specification just continue on.
To adjust them if they are out of tolerance is quite a bit more involved. You might want to have the dealer do it for you.
If you do it yourself you need to write down the clearance on each one that is out of spec and then the cam(s) need to come out and the shim under the bucket follower has to be replaced with one of the required thickness.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The crap shoot on the Wolverine is you will more than likely have to pull the bed off to do it.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
Did mine today. I pulled the bed, the right rear side panel and the panel in front of the right rear wheel. I also had to unbolt the fuel tank and slide it out a little to get to the timing plugs. My clearances were good (.005 " on the intake valves and. 011" on the exhausts). I also changed the oil, filter and both diff fluids with Amsoil fluids

1 - 7 of 7 Posts