Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Wolverine X4
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All, I've been poking around tire sites and these forums trying to figure out what a good X4 tire upgrade is for all terrain mountain riding while not raising my centre of gravity too much nor adding too much weight(I'm leaning towards a 27" but wouldn't be opposed to sticking 26" if it was the only option for that tire). What I recently noticed, and am surprised how little they're mentioned, is these newer(relatively) lineups of UTV specific tires with higher load ratings.

What are your guys' experience with them, they seem like a no brainer given a fully loaded X4(1127cargo+1667machine=2794lbs) weighs way more than any quad was ever going to weigh when these atv tires were designed.

The classic ATV tires obviously still suffice given their overwhelming amount of positive reviews they have from sXs owners, but do they still handle fine when the machine is loaded up with 2 adults in the back, or even a quartered elk? Do these UTV tires last longer?

Any other suggestions I should look into?

ATV Tires
Kenda Bear Claw HTR 8ply
26x9R-12 23.5lbs,
26x11R-12 30.25lbs, $100
27x9R-12 30.85lbs, $174 (440lbs)
27x11R-12 31.4lbs, $191 (494lbs)
124.5lbs total (27”)

Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 6ply
26x9R-12 12.25lbs, $120.50
26x11R-12 27.95lbs, $127.50

UTV Tires
Maxxis VIPR 6ply [utv]
26x9R-12 12.25lbs, $200? (825lbs)
26x11R-12 27.95lbs, $200? (961lbs)

*cant climb-nfg, Smoother than mud light
ITP Blackwater Evolution 8ply ($revco.ca) [utv]
27x9R-12 27lbs, $215.28 (1230lbs)
27x11R-12 31lbs $242.78 (1520lbs)
116lbs total

ITP Mud Lite II 6ply ($revco.ca) [utv]
27x9R-12 29lbs, $169.86 (1150lbs)
27x11R-12 34lbs $181.73 (1355lbs)
126lbs total

GBC Kanati Terra Master Radial Tire 10ply
27x9R-12 29.3lbs, $215.28 (760lbs)
27x11R-12 31lbs $242.78 (855lbs)
120.6lbs total

GBC Kanati Mongrel 10ply *Too lowpro truck like
27x9R-12 28.7lbs, $229 (1000lbs)
27x11R-12 31.4lbs $256 (1000lbs)
120.2lbs total

GBC Dirt Commander 8ply
27x9R-12 25lbs, $193(920lbs)
27x11R-12 29.3lbs $224 (960lbs)
108.6lbs total

M1 Evil 8ply (1”tread)
27x9R-12 28.3lbs, $185(785lbs)
27x11R-12 34.8lbs $206 (785lbs)
126lbs total

·
Registered
539 Posts
For the ATV tires, I think the Kenda Bear Claw HTR are the better of the two.

For the UTV tires, I think the ITP Blackwater Evolution 8ply is the better from your choices.

As far as wear goes, I think ATV vs UTV rated will not really have an effect.

I think the load that the tire can handle is the biggest difference. I think you'd be fine with the ATV rated tire but you may have to run them at max PSI if your fully loaded down.

I'm a big fan of the OG Big Horns but my Dirt Commanders have been doing great as well.

Whichever you decide, I'd go 27.

·
Registered
2020 Wolverine X4
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your Dirt Commanders look like a solid option too actually. Seems GBC just makes heavier duty tires.
The ITP Blackwaters caught my eye until this 2min video showed they're not great climbers(
)

·
Registered
539 Posts
Look at what they were climbing though. Soft turf. Big lugs like that are going to dig too much in soft stuff. On hard pack and rocks, they'll have plenty of grip to get you up and over things.

The dirt commanders aren't going to do much better in the soft stuff as they like to bite and dig in. However, going over rocks and rocky terrain they are great tire.

Soft stuff (especially sand) always screws me up. I'd rather have a bald tire with no tread at all to ride in the soft stuff.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I punctured my stock driver rear tire 5 times. The fifth took 9 plugs to seal enough to get back to the cabin. I wasn't in a position to buy 4 new tires at the time. I had 500 miles on the X4. I ended going with 2 rear Tusk Trilobite HD(similar to Bighorns). They are an 8 ply and so far with 800 miles on them I have taken 1 puncture. My dealer told me to buy the GBC Kanati Mongrels next for it. So as of now that is my plan come winter.

Reactions: therebel19 and Dan

·
Registered
101 Posts
Reactions: Paul65 and Dan

·
Registered
2020 Wolverine X4
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah my stocks are missing noticeable chunks and have deep cuts already at just under 20hrs. Running them any longer than a guy has to is just waiting for flat in my opinion... somewhat disappointing as I had no issue with the stocks on my Grizzly for several seasons.

The M1 Evil's look like a really effective tread too, just a bit heavy for my preference.
I'm liking the Mongrels and Terra Masters, just wondering if they're a bit too subtle/on road tread and would leave a guy spinning on a steeper technical climb.
I really wish the Maxxis VIPR's came in 27", they look like a really nice balance of all terrain and aggressiveness, not too subtle like the Mongrel and not monster lugs like the ITPBlackwaters

·
Registered
539 Posts
I forgot about the Tusk Trilobite. I had those on my Ranger and made that thing a Billy Goat it could finally climb things like a Wolvie with stock tires.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I had the Vipr in 27" and loved them, had a problem with lug peeling off...Maxxis was great about warranty on the tires, but I understood from the company that they were discontinuing the tire even tho I still see the 26" at RMATV so maybe they dropped the size. Or if they are selling off existing stock, then you may not be able to get another to match if a problem. The Bighorn 3.0 is a blend of the BG2.0 and Vipr per the Maxxis factory sales rep.
If looking at the Mudlites...look hard at the XTR, had them and liked them on Rhino.
If you can, it might be worth waiting a few weeks to see if you can get the Dirt Commanders in the radial.

Reactions: Dan and Paul65

·
Registered
312 Posts
If you want a tire that is nothing but traction, I suggest these. The biggest draw back is that they are heavy. A little rough under 4 MPH, but smooth out above that. I run the 27"x 10"x 14" on all corners. This is them...
https://stipowersports.com/product/out-and-back-max/

Reactions: Dan and Paul65

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had the Vipr in 27" and loved them, had a problem with lug peeling off...Maxxis was great about warranty on the tires, but I understood from the company that they were discontinuing the tire even tho I still see the 26" at RMATV so maybe they dropped the size. Or if they are selling off existing stock, then you may not be able to get another to match if a problem. The Bighorn 3.0 is a blend of the BG2.0 and Vipr per the Maxxis factory sales rep.
If looking at the Mudlites...look hard at the XTR, had them and liked them on Rhino.
If you can, it might be worth waiting a few weeks to see if you can get the Dirt Commanders in the radial.
I have the Big Horn 3's and don't think I would do it again - been decent for wear and haven't had a puncture yet but I find they push through the corners like crazy - tried several different pressures but ultimately find they don't handle as well as I had in other Big Horns - also, the front and back are a different design, so if making all 4 corners the same, you may have an even bigger issue (or perhaps that's the answer and they will perform better :) )

·
Registered
143 Posts
I run the utv specific ITP Mud lite ll's. 6 ply great tires for tight muddy trails. Steve

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Great thread! Looks like these guys have ya covered.

Reactions: Dan

·
Registered
2020 Wolverine X4
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
So Dirt Commanders will be coming out with radials shortly? That is very interesting given the heavier weight rating GBC tires seem to have. That may become my front runner over the Bearclaw because of that.

Flex, those out and back max's seem like a mean tire but a little too aggressive/mud orientated for my hard pack trail riding with the occasional steep rocky climbs.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
So Dirt Commanders will be coming out with radials shortly?
That thought was on another thread... forget who gets the credit.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,462 Posts
I believe that the VOID's between the actual lugs of big rubber is way to much. Mud lights and such especially. When driving over hazards in tough terrain. I'd want the the Lugs to Stomp on them hazards and not have them attempt to puncture the tire in between in the vulnerable void area.

I like the HTR's for that reason as well as its a good balance IMO w/good contact paw of lugs doing the work (Original Bighorns as well) and not just 2 or 3 as many would only have. As your load does increase and if the tire appears to squat a big pushing the suspension. Sure add some PSI's to the rear tires. You wouldn't have to go near the Max PSI rating though and it would be way to hard at that as well. On hard pack section its easier to see what the tire is actually like. I you're just crawling in low gear. Its not going to be that critical.

Good luck with your tire choices which ever you choose.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
do the HTR measure a full 27"?
Mine do, at 8 psi. I’ve measured them at least four times. I carry a tape measure on the trail and frequently check others’ tires. Inevitably people want to see my measurements after theirs.

Reactions: therebel19

·
Registered
2020 Wolverine X4
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I believe that the VOID's between the actual lugs of big rubber is way to much. Mud lights and such especially. When driving over hazards in tough terrain. I'd want the the Lugs to Stomp on them hazards and not have them attempt to puncture the tire in between in the vulnerable void area.

I like the HTR's for that reason as well as its a good balance IMO w/good contact paw of lugs doing the work (Original Bighorns as well) and not just 2 or 3 as many would only have. As your load does increase and if the tire appears to squat a big pushing the suspension. Sure add some PSI's to the rear tires. You wouldn't have to go near the Max PSI rating though and it would be way to hard at that as well. On hard pack section its easier to see what the tire is actually like. I you're just crawling in low gear. Its not going to be that critical.

Good luck with your tire choices which ever you choose.
I definitely agree about protecting your tire carcass with the lugs. Yesterday we ended up on a trail snaking up the side of a mountain, started off fine & somewhat rocky, by the peak it was a pure sharp shale section. It was basically so bad you pretend you don't know what's beneath you, hope you don't get a flat, and think of the weather.

-Given that basically every ride we deal with some patch of sharp rock, I feel like AMS M1 Evil is a good compromise of lugs protecting the carcass, but not ending up too much like a street tire like the Mongrel. I'm waiting for pricing on the M1 Evil.
-My only second thought is other stretches of trail have washed out sticky clay sections or rooty climbs where I think a traditional aggressive knobby tread such as the Bear Claw would be ideal... and it's not like the Bear Claw is a flat liability itself.

ATTire2_ams-l1600.jpg f3da16032cd3f7bb2631863b24ab43fc.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Both are a solid choice.
I love my HTR's here in WV's ungroomed trails.
However, if you have sharp shale I would go with the Evils for added footprint protection.
I don't know how the sidewalls are on the Evils, but the HTR's sidewalls are phenomenal.
A buddy I work with has the Evils on his Talon and loves them, I just haven't gotten to ride with him yet to see how they perform but he never shuts up about them....lol.

Reactions: therebel19
1 - 20 of 32 Posts