Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I said I wouldn't post it if it looked like shit but... Let this be a cautionary tale. The last time I took my wife riding was mid November. It was raining pretty hard and since I only have a half windshield we got soaked (I had a freakin blast). Long story short, she wants a full windshield and I don't wanna cough up the $400 (+/-) to get one. So being the brilliant person that I am, I figured i would just make one. I got some Plexiglas scrap from work and got after it. For the mounts I used 2" conduit hangers. They were a little big for the tubes so i filled the gap with some sticky weather stripping. That snugged them up nicely. Home Depot had some rubber grommets that isolated the plexi quite well. I cut cardboard to make a template to test what I had in mind. The idea was to fill in the area in the middle of the top, below the roof. No problem. I planned to use some aluminum angle as a stiffener to keep the middle from wobbling. I used it on the bottom, and it worked like a champ. My big mistake was just putting the angle at the top along the ridge. I figured that with most of the top being rigid, it would be fine. WRONG! That bit at the top is even worse than if I didn't have any support at all. So tomorrow I am going to take it all off and run a piece across the entire top and let the ridge float. Another issue I had was that the roof wasn't symmetrical. On the drivers side the roof hugs the roll bar nicely. On the passenger side there is about a half inch gap. You can't really see it in the pictures, but it is going to bug the hell out of me. As for the aluminum across the bottom, it is below the line of site for looking down the trail and above what i am looking at up close. For someone shorter than my impressive 5'8" it would probably be right in the way. Most of the "upper" won't even be on there. I can take it off with 4 bolts. After I get it fixed tomorrow it should be fine. Live, learn and keep tinkering.

IMG_0139.JPG IMG_0140.JPG

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WolverineE - We usually stay at Coyote Canyon Campgrounds. It is only a few years old and has hookups for RV, cabins, a bunkhouse and primitive sites. You can unload there and ride to the trailhead about a mile or so down the road. You don't have to get back in the truck till time to go home.

Reactions: Test Master

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That would be for Wolf Pen Gap Trails.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
If you are using true Lexan it can be bent in a big metal press. This would allow you to add rigidity without the need for the aluminum angle. When we had dirt track stock cars we used to do this to make our rear spoilers. It's tough to make a full 90 degree angle but you can make a series of smaller angles close together to accomplish the same thing.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm working on a one piece back dust guard that I am going to bend. The guys in our machine shop that make the machine guards just clamp it to a table, about a 1/4" from where they want the bend, then heat both sides with a heat gun.

I had thought about bending the front so I wouldn't have to use the aluminum angle, but I didn't want to take the shops heat gun home and with a flat piece of plastic, I could just cut a template out of cardboard. I have a habit of messing up measurements and you can't cut lexan twice if it is too short.

Reactions: TINKEN

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Timmi

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
I don't think that CD in the demo will fit in my player.

That is a pretty nifty tool. We always bent it cold and hoped for the best. Luckily our supplier was also a sponsor.

·
Engineer
1,807 Posts
We would buy that plastic you find over florescent lights in buildings to diffuse the light and cut it into small squares. Bend them on the heat bender into about a 90° angle. You can hang bacon on them for cooking in the microwave. Kind of like this but without the black piece. Works.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mmmmm... Bacon!

Reactions: Speedracer4

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
brings back memories. used to wire an old metal socket box to the manifolds of our sleds. put hot dogs in tinfoil and then into the socket box. cooking dogs on the go.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
151 Posts
brings back memories. used to wire an old metal socket box to the manifolds of our sleds. put hot dogs in tinfoil and then into the socket box. cooking dogs on the go.:rolleyes:
Haha...up here we call those "Hot Doggers". They'd work great on the Wolverine pipe...lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
So I too took the windshield into my own hands. Here in Canada Yamaha wants 715$ plus tax plus shipping for it! F-that! I found on utvcanada.com some real nice brackets, cost me 100 bux for 4 delivered. Then I had a custom piece of lexan 6mm cut to size. All was perfect till I put it on and I had a 2.5 inch bow at center..had to add some rigidity to it. Heard to add a bend. Went to a plastic fabrication store, they suggested gluing on a piece. We did and is now almost perfect. A little slap at bottom center. Going in tomorrow to add another piece to the bottom to fix I, so far I'm 250$ cdn into this and happy.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks nice, and you can see through your stiffeners. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts