Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to see someone like SuperATV develop tubular uppers with some sort of door jammed attached to ROPS kits. Let’s get it SuperATV hate the fact you gotta remove these awesome doors for a hard cab kit.

·
Vendor
426 Posts
I would like to see someone like SuperATV develop tubular uppers with some sort of door jammed attached to ROPS kits. Let’s get it SuperATV hate the fact you gotta remove these awesome doors for a hard cab kit.
I brought up something like this recently. Not sure if we're on the same page, but I was thinking some easily installed and removed upper door sections made out of the same material as the windshields. Not really a full cab, but more just an upper door enclosure. Same concept? We're awesome at the full cab enclosures, but that would be a complete system with full doors.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha RMAX 2 XT-R 1000
1,153 Posts
I brought up something like this recently. Not sure if we're on the same page, but I was thinking some easily installed and removed upper door sections made out of the same material as the windshields. Not really a full cab, but more just an upper door enclosure. Same concept? We're awesome at the full cab enclosures, but that would be a complete system with full doors.
That would probably work, with a slider section to open the door and ventilate! A little 90 degree bulb seal around where it meets the cage, and an easy on / off hand screw mount would be awesome. Simple and effective, very few moving parts..

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,092 Posts
At this point, easily-removable upper doors with solid hard-coated poly windows is fine, but frames that had zippered vinyl inserts would be great as well to run year round. Whatever can be brought to market quicker I'm all for.

·
Registered
Montana, USA
46 Posts
At this point, easily-removable upper doors with solid hard-coated poly windows is fine, but frames that had zippered vinyl inserts would be great as well to run year round. Whatever can be brought to market quicker I'm all for.
Don't forget the X2/X4 owners. If someone builds those for our machines we would buy too.

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,092 Posts
Don't forget the X2/X4 owners. If someone builds those for our machines we would buy too.
2021 X2/X4 owners could use them (well the fronts), but pre 2020 X2/X4 owners couldn't. The new 3 piece doors make it much easier to implement an upper window vs the molded doors of previous years.

·
Vendor
426 Posts
I've been pumping this to the boys in engineering since you brought it up when the RMAX was first dropped. Fingers crossed...I hope they add it to their list.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I built something like the op is talking about for my commander a couple of years ago. I couldn't find anything out there like I wanted. So I designed mine in a gull wing style with tool-less removal - using bullet hinges welded at the top of the door frame I made and on a plate I connected to the top roll bar with bar clamps. When the door is latched, it cannot be removed. When its open, all you have to do is slide it about an inch or so to the rear for removal.

I used EMT conduit, a regular conduit bender I got at lowes and a 110 stick welder with 3/32 6011 rods to make the frames. I used weld on pop pins for latches. For the windows, I used marine grade clear vinyl and attached with grommets and bungee balls (bought cheaply in bulk on ebay). I could have made the door tops neater by having an upholster sew the windows with velcro for removal but I was trying not to spend much. Likewise I didn't want to use lexan. I was able to buy enough vinyl to cover them twice for about $70. I'm sure they will eventually get scratched up.

The commander has some wild angles to follow in the door area, including that the oem pro amor doors bow out for increased room, whereas everything on the rmax looks much straighter other than the a-pillar section of the roll bar. Also, unlike the commander, the rmax looks like it has a good place to mount lift struts. I made mine manual lift. So I think rmax door tops would be much easier to build. I spent about $125-150 building these and about 2.5 Sundays.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts