Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm a new member, been lurking on this forum for awhile, looking at pulling the trigger on a Wolverine. I have a question about tires and was hoping to get some feedback. I see quite a few of you are running set ups that include one size wheel on all four corners and different width tires on the front and back (i.e. 12x7 wheels with 27x9 front tires and 27x11 rear tires). Does this cause any problems for you? As I see it you would have a taller tire in the rear with this set up, as the 7 inch rims would squeeze the 11" wide rear tires making them taller. Just curious as my plan is to keep the stock wheels, and possibly put 28x10 tires on all four corners achieving essentially the same result of having taller front tires compared to the rear. Any advice on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding trailcutter, that is a good suggestion. I can see a lot of bonuses to having all four wheel/tires the same. Makes rotating simple. Was hoping to hear from someone with the previous mentioned setup just out of curiosity. I assume the stock wheels are similar to my grizzly, 12x6 front and 12x7.5 rear. Maybe the height difference isn't as much as I think it might be. Did you pick your extra 2 wheels up from a dealer? Looks like ITP Delta steel wheels are about $38 a piece. Might just go that route.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
Thanks for responding trailcutter, that is a good suggestion. I can see a lot of bonuses to having all four wheel/tires the same. Makes rotating simple. Was hoping to hear from someone with the previous mentioned setup just out of curiosity. I assume the stock wheels are similar to my grizzly, 12x6 front and 12x7.5 rear. Maybe the height difference isn't as much as I think it might be. Did you pick your extra 2 wheels up from a dealer? Looks like ITP Delta steel wheels are about $38 a piece. Might just go that route.
I am using the ITP Delta's you mention. Also running 28x10x12 on all four corners with a 5th identical spare setup mounted out back.

As far as rear tire being taller like you mention, with the weight of the machine, and the fact that this is an "off-road" vehicle, I highly doubt any difference will be noticeable at all. It certainly would not be enough to affect the 4wd if that is what your concern is. I always used to run wider tires on the back even with the same width wheels as the fronts, never had any issues. I finally decided to go this route so I could have a spare for any corner and not lose any function.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
one from dealer and one off ebay,the Viking uses same wheels.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am using the ITP Delta's you mention. Also running 28x10x12 on all four corners with a 5th identical spare setup mounted out back.

As far as rear tire being taller like you mention, with the weight of the machine, and the fact that this is an "off-road" vehicle, I highly doubt any difference will be noticeable at all. It certainly would not be enough to affect the 4wd if that is what your concern is. I always used to run wider tires on the back even with the same width wheels as the fronts, never had any issues. I finally decided to go this route so I could have a spare for any corner and not lose any function.
Good to hear ,FTM, thanks. Sounds like I'm on the right track. Probably start out with the stock wheels then and maybe down the road end up with a setup like yours. Any disadvantages to running the 10" wide tires up front? I have never tried this setup before, always had the skinnier tires up front. I'm guessing just more mud in your lap and maybe slight hit to handling performance? Seems like a small price to pay for better traction and versatility.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts