Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, sorry for the long post: I really need some solid advice here. I only have one chance to get this right. I expect to keep this machine for 7-8 year or more.

I've had my 2016 R-spec since may of 2017. The downside is we only have about 1900 miles on it. We've had many great times in it and I don't get to ride it as much as I'd like. We can't legally ride on the roads where I live and good SXS trails are 2+ hours away at a minimum, but it's riding with my 7 year old son and my 74 year old Dad that I really enjoy riding with and the memories that we make together are totally priceless. I told my wife after our first weekend riding back in 2017 that the machine had paid for itself in one weekend! He has an Arctic Cat Prowler HDX with 5,000+ trouble-free miles on it by the way. The whole ATV thing really doesn't interest her much so I'm swimming upstream.

Since back in October when I dropped my 16 off at the dealer (more on that story later), I've been laboring over an upgrade. I got to test drive an XTR Rmax 2 and it really put a smile on my face - that's what really got the juices flowing. Today I was able to drive a new 21 850 X4 and an Rmax 4 base model back to back. The appeal of the 850 since they launched in 18 was the quiet cab and of course a little more power. The 850 is all we would need for the typical riding that we do. When discussing an upgrade with the "Defense Department" (AKA The Mrs.), as she has other plans and other interests for our $$$$, I think we have gotten to the point where I have the "go-ahead" to upgrade. I have labored over this decision to the point where I'm going a little nuts as my OCD has reached a whole new level...

Anyway, she approved of an upgrade as long as it has 4 seats. My first choice is the Rmax 4 LE as it checks all the boxes and then some. The price is the hurdle that I'm struggling with. Not that it isn't worth it but in my mind, it's just a chunk of change for a toy and I'm not good at parting with my $. I could take a base X4 850 and build it out to be a really sweet ride for a lot less money and it would work great for our family. But I think this time around, I want to take the upgrade effort and time and use it to ride instead. My dealer has my name on an incoming Rmax 4 LE that is shipping next week. He's giving a VERY fair trade-in and his price is good for my area. I can't wait to get a look at it in person as I'm enamored with that blue! I've never bought anything like this without a test drive or inspection prior to committing. The main reasons for Rmax is the terrific suspension, more power, and the only extra I will add to the LE is a light bar. No sheave, tuner, no exhaust, shocks, whatever... that it took to make an X series a performance machine (all forum based info). Obviously, there are some requirements (listed below).

Quesions: do I buy the rear roof speakers or can I hook up a soundbar that will work better for less money? I have a 14 year old daughter that will appreciate this over my $59 bluetooth speaker that you could barely hear in my 16 due to all the CVT and gear whine. She's one of the main reasons for a 4-seater, otherwise I'd a buy an Rmax 2. How good is the preinstalled stereo?

What's the best soft cab option? SXS enclosures or OEM soft cab for the money?

Storage solutions: Not much room for spare tire, tools, cooler, saw, extra clothing, etc. What are you guys using?

Moose plow or Warn? Moose is less expensive and I've had terrific luck with my Moose on my Grizzly for 9 years. I hear that the Warn is quite heavy and my plowing isn't ridiculously demanding.

Chainsaw mount: there's not much storage in the back of a 4 seater and a back panel really gets in the way of a mount.

Brushguard: My 16 got some hood scratches that I would prefer not to have on this sexy beast. Is it worth it? Right now I think so.

Any other accessories that are a "must-have?" I know I need a back panel but soft cab info is where I need to start.

Thanks in advance to all you Rmax aficionados. I'm super pumped to see and ride this thing!

Registered
Hahaha. Congrats! Don't drive if you don't wanna buy it. It'll get ya. Hook, line, and sinker. That's an awful lot of accessories for the guy that said he was only gonna ad a light bar.馃槈

Registered
If you have the go ahead for the RMAX4, then do it. Nothing wrong with the X4 but you don't want that "what if" thought if you can get the RMAX. I have a SXS enclosures cab on order and will give a review when I get it. OEM seems to be pretty good from what I've read. I think the OEM stereo in the LE is good as well and you can probably get by with just the door speakers for awhile. Personally I'd look at adding some rear wake boards instead of the pods if you really if want crank out the tunes.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Hahaha. Congrats! Don't drive if you don't wanna buy it. It'll get ya. Hook, line, and sinker. That's an awful lot of accessories for the guy that said he was only gonna ad a light bar.馃槈
That's fair LOL! What I meant by the light bar is that's the only non-essential! The ones I have questions about are required. HA! Got any advice?

Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
The 850 is all we would need for the typical riding that we do. When discussing an upgrade with the "Defense Department" (AKA The Mrs.), as she has other plans and other interests for our $$$$, I think we have gotten to the point where I have the "go-ahead" to upgrade. I have labored over this decision to the point where I'm going a little nuts as my OCD has reached a whole new level...

Anyway, she approved of an upgrade as long as it has 4 seats. My first choice is the Rmax 4 LE as it checks all the boxes and then some. The price is the hurdle that I'm struggling with. Not that it isn't worth it but in my mind, it's just a chunk of change for a toy and I'm not good at parting with my $. I could take a base X4 850 and build it out to be a really sweet ride for a lot less money and it would work great for our family. But I think this time around, I want to take the upgrade effort and time and use it to ride instead. My dealer has my name on an incoming Rmax 4 LE that is shipping next week. He's giving a VERY fair trade-in and his price is good for my area. I can't wait to get a look at it in person as I'm enamored with that blue! I've never bought anything like this without a test drive or inspection prior to committing. The main reasons for Rmax is the terrific suspension, more power, and the only extra I will add to the LE is a light bar. No sheave, tuner, no exhaust, shocks, whatever... that it took to make an X series a performance machine (all forum based info). Obviously, there are some requirements (listed below).

Quesions: do I buy the rear roof speakers or can I hook up a soundbar that will work better for less money? I have a 14 year old daughter that will appreciate this over my $59 bluetooth speaker that you could barely hear in my 16 due to all the CVT and gear whine. She's one of the main reasons for a 4-seater, otherwise I'd a buy an Rmax 2. How good is the preinstalled stereo?

Storage solutions: Not much room for spare tire, tools, cooler, saw, extra clothing, etc. What are you guys using?

Moose plow or Warn? Moose is less expensive and I've had terrific luck with my Moose on my Grizzly for 9 years. I hear that the Warn is quite heavy and my plowing isn't ridiculously demanding.

Chainsaw mount: there's not much storage in the back of a 4 seater and a back panel really gets in the way of a mount.

Brushguard: My 16 got some hood scratches that I would prefer not to have on this sexy beast. Is it worth it? Right now I think so.

Any other accessories that are a "must-have?" I know I need a back panel but soft cab info is where I need to start.

Thanks in advance to all you Rmax aficionados. I'm super pumped to see and ride this thing!
Your wife will benefit greatly from the passenger grab handle, soft points, and adjustable seat belts alone. My wife still yells at me because I'm doing more extreme stuff with the RMAX, but the previous 'extreme' stuff is nothing thanks to the smoother ride and BEST passenger grab handle out there.

My take on the stereo. You'll need additional speakers as you can't really hear the SSV that well when trail running but can't advise you on stock upgraded RMAX4 speakers or aftermarket

Shere from SxS Enclosures has great customer service and will customize your soft cab to your needs but I'm still a fan of the OEM cab. I highly suggest doing my modded install as you don't have to drill and it's actually better at keeping drafts out than the stock install

I carry all my tools, chainsaw, etc. with the OEM rear cargo box. I rest my chainsaw on top of the cargo box and secure it with cargo nets and my rear mesh window. You can store a lot of stuff under the driver side seat. I put my seldom used stuff there.

I wish I could go back and do it when she was new and I could still do it now but it's pricey but I'd like to put some paint protection film on the sides at least. For now I use Turtle Wax hybrid ceramic wax and plan on trying their new graphene product.

The RMAX needs nothing as far as upgrades to suspension or power, or even CVT. It has gobs of power all throughout and I can only see wanting a sheave to lower cruising RPMs.

Check my personal thread for my #FREE mods

Registered
I purchased a x4 xtr 850 last May and it was great machine. Fast forward to September's release of the Rmax and the 850 was sold 2 weeks later with a rmax4 LE ordered soon after. The rmax is everything I had hoped the x4 would be. IMO, buy the rmax and have 0 regrets. You can always make more money :)

Registered
Sounds like you have the experience to know which is right for you, but,
"I've had my 2016 R-spec since may of 2017. The downside is we only have about 1900 miles on it." That's pretty low use.

I'm not sure what the price difference is where you are, but in Canada, that would be close to $7k more for a toy that's already $20+K. That's 7k more cash parked in the garage getting limited use that could be spent elsewhere.

You know yourself if you will enjoy the 850. If you will, get it and don't look back. There will always be a bigger better machine, this sXs market is on fire.

If you're underwhelmed by the 850 and you know it won't cut it, get the RMax, may's well spend $30k and love it than $20k and regret it 馃槀

Registered
First of all, sorry for the long post: I really need some solid advice here. I only have one chance to get this right. I expect to keep this machine for 7-8 year or more.

I've had my 2016 R-spec since may of 2017. The downside is we only have about 1900 miles on it. We've had many great times in it and I don't get to ride it as much as I'd like. We can't legally ride on the roads where I live and good SXS trails are 2+ hours away at a minimum, but it's riding with my 7 year old son and my 74 year old Dad that I really enjoy riding with and the memories that we make together are totally priceless. I told my wife after our first weekend riding back in 2017 that the machine had paid for itself in one weekend! He has an Arctic Cat Prowler HDX with 5,000+ trouble-free miles on it by the way. The whole ATV thing really doesn't interest her much so I'm swimming upstream.

Since back in October when I dropped my 16 off at the dealer (more on that story later), I've been laboring over an upgrade. I got to test drive an XTR Rmax 2 and it really put a smile on my face - that's what really got the juices flowing. Today I was able to drive a new 21 850 X4 and an Rmax 4 base model back to back. The appeal of the 850 since they launched in 18 was the quiet cab and of course a little more power. The 850 is all we would need for the typical riding that we do. When discussing an upgrade with the "Defense Department" (AKA The Mrs.), as she has other plans and other interests for our $$$$, I think we have gotten to the point where I have the "go-ahead" to upgrade. I have labored over this decision to the point where I'm going a little nuts as my OCD has reached a whole new level...

How large is your saw? What length of bar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like you have the experience to know which is right for you, but,
"I've had my 2016 R-spec since may of 2017. The downside is we only have about 1900 miles on it." That's pretty low use.

I'm not sure what the price difference is where you are, but in Canada, that would be close to $7k more for a toy that's already $20+K. That's 7k more cash parked in the garage getting limited use that could be spent elsewhere.

You know yourself if you will enjoy the 850. If you will, get it and don't look back. There will always be a bigger better machine, this sXs market is on fire.

If you're underwhelmed by the 850 and you know it won't cut it, get the RMax, may's well spend $30k and love it than $20k and regret it 馃槀
There's a story as to why it only has 1900 miles on it. I'll fill that in after the deal is inked and the Rmax is in the garage.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
How large is your saw? What length of bar?

I have a couple of saws but usually carry a 14" bar as that's been enough for me. Stihl MS180. I also have an 026 with a 16" bar. I think I'm going to have to use trial and error to see what works in the limited space. Might just end up being a simple saw box like on my Grizzly.

Registered
That's fair LOL! What I meant by the light bar is that's the only non-essential! The ones I have questions about are required. HA! Got any advice?
I think you'll be fine with the door speakers if all you have been running is a BT speaker. Thats all I have ran for years as well. I installed the Yamaha system a couple weeks ago and its 10X louder than what I'm used to. Totally happy with it. Whenever I can get a back window may change my mind though about adding the rears depending on whether it quiets the cab on the RMAX4 or makes it louder. As far as other recommendations goes I'd look into a glass front windshield. The OEM poly tends to bow at the top and not seal well. Also one thing I noticed while riding in cold weather last week the metal framed glass windshield is that it blocked out the cold more when at the higher speeds and acting as a better insulator than the poly did. This was nice seeing that the RMAX gets much less heat in the cab than older Wolverines. I think your good though. That LE is fully loaded. You'll figure out anything else you'll need for your style riding.

Registered
I have a couple of saws but usually carry a 14" bar as that's been enough for me. Stihl MS180. I also have an 026 with a 16" bar. I think I'm going to have to use trial and error to see what works in the limited space. Might just end up being a simple saw box like on my Grizzly.
Might look up Grizzly Peak they make a nice mount for saws. I know if my seats are forward I can carry 3 of my falling saws without the bars on them without issues. In saying that a 026 with a 16 or a 20 shouldn鈥檛 be an issue with the seats in the rearward position.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
@wolvymanx4 - thank you for the advice. Anything will be better than the blue tooth that I used in the Gen 1. Although, the cab noise in the 850 is so low that the little BT speaker would work fine. The rumble of the Rmax is significantly louder but I like it - it's like the sound of a classic muscle car to me compared to my old machine that sounds like a lawn mower with a bearing going out! It sure beats the gear and CVT whine of my Gen 1. I'll figure out the tunes but that's not a high priority for me - just trying to find a way to keep my teen engaged as I would love for her to be eager to ride along. My youngest just loves to ride but wants to bring along more people,

I'm currently trying to decide between a Yamaha fold down and the SuperATV flip windshields. I have the flip on my Gen 1 and really liked the venting feature but it's not very removeable for trailering without some work. I've considered the glass but I have no experience with that style. My brother has the Yamaha fold down on his Viking and I'm jealous when he takes it off to trailer. Right now, I'm leaning toward the SATV flip.

Part of the reason I'm going LE model is I spent so many hours configuring my 16 Rspec the way I wanted it that I would rather get out and ride. I also really like the blue and I would pay $1K just to not have the green on the XTR. I'm just not a fan. The one thing I really don't need/want is the adventure pro but as I'm finding, all the things I added to my original Rspec added no value on KBB or NADA and that's what pins down the value - the only exception being the winch. A base model is still considered a base model when I go to get rid of it. Maybe I'll change my mind on the Adventure Pro but for right now, it seems really expensive for little reward.

Reactions: wolvymanx4

Registered
I have a 026 and it fits fine between the rear seats in a had case with the bar facing forward the rear positioned between the two tool bags I mentioned earlier. Trying to carry extra gas and oil is another thing. I haven't found a good way to carry it with all four seats occupied. I get what your saying about the blue. It is beautiful and if I wasn't impatient I probably would have waited it out until one was available in my area. However, me not being a fan of the green will work to my advantage. It looks good dirty and I have a feeling even better scratched up. It will have the "battlefield tested" look to it which I'm kind of partial to.

Registered
I would get full skid and a-arm protection. You never know when or where that rogue rock or tree stump might hit. It fascinates me all the machines out there that don't run with that protection.

Premium Member
Great thread, thanks for posting. I'm looking forward to following you on your journey. I run A-Arm guards (optional) and rock sliders (must have!). My main comment is on the brush guard you asked about. I upgraded my stock X2 front bumper to a $420 EMP bumper that wasn't worth the time I spent installing it. I removed that POS after it bent four times from winching. So much for aftermarket!

I put the stock bumper on and took the machine to a local fab shop and came out with this, for half the cost of that aftermarket bumper. They just added to the factory bumper. It's like a cow catcher on the front of a train, and it easily pushes over small trees. So my advice is to find a fab shop, not waste money on an aftermarket brush guard. You might get a better build at half the cost. But even if it is the same cost - it will be a better build!

Have fun!

Front Bumper.jpg

Registered
@wolvymanx4 - thank you for the advice. Anything will be better than the blue tooth that I used in the Gen 1. Although, the cab noise in the 850 is so low that the little BT speaker would work fine. The rumble of the Rmax is significantly louder but I like it - it's like the sound of a classic muscle car to me compared to my old machine that sounds like a lawn mower with a bearing going out! It sure beats the gear and CVT whine of my Gen 1. I'll figure out the tunes but that's not a high priority for me - just trying to find a way to keep my teen engaged as I would love for her to be eager to ride along. My youngest just loves to ride but wants to bring along more people,

I'm currently trying to decide between a Yamaha fold down and the SuperATV flip windshields. I have the flip on my Gen 1 and really liked the venting feature but it's not very removeable for trailering without some work. I've considered the glass but I have no experience with that style. My brother has the Yamaha fold down on his Viking and I'm jealous when he takes it off to trailer. Right now, I'm leaning toward the SATV flip.

Part of the reason I'm going LE model is I spent so many hours configuring my 16 Rspec the way I wanted it that I would rather get out and ride. I also really like the blue and I would pay $1K just to not have the green on the XTR. I'm just not a fan. The one thing I really don't need/want is the adventure pro but as I'm finding, all the things I added to my original Rspec added no value on KBB or NADA and that's what pins down the value - the only exception being the winch. A base model is still considered a base model when I go to get rid of it. Maybe I'll change my mind on the Adventure Pro but for right now, it seems really expensive for little reward.
I am a big fan of the SuperATV flip up windshield I had on my X4. I never removed it to trailer and towed at 75mph for hours at a time, which is about how fast the RMAX will go. The upper and lower metal braces kept the flex to almost zero. I don't think any flip down windshield offers this type of support. The 3 settings on the SuperATV are nice too. I would like to go glass on the RMAX (waiting for delivery of a LE), but I tend to follow too close to the guy in front of me (occasional flying rock) and I really don't slow down for low branches on my tight mid-western trails. So, I will be ordering another SuperATV windshield for it. My only complaint are the bolts for the front and inner brackets. They rusted really fast. All other fasteners with it are stainless. I did eventually replace the bracket hardware with stainless.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
I am a big fan of the SuperATV flip up windshield I had on my X4. I never removed it to trailer and towed at 75mph for hours at a time, which is about how fast the RMAX will go. The upper and lower metal braces kept the flex to almost zero. I don't think any flip down windshield offers this type of support. The 3 settings on the SuperATV are nice too. I would like to go glass on the RMAX (waiting for delivery of a LE), but I tend to follow too close to the guy in front of me (occasional flying rock) and I really don't slow down for low branches on my tight mid-western trails. So, I will be ordering another SuperATV windshield for it. My only complaint are the bolts for the front and inner brackets. They rusted really fast. All other fasteners with it are stainless. I did eventually replace the bracket hardware with stainless.
When I called the dealer today to tell him I'm committed to the Rmax 4 LE and our trade deal, we discussed windshields. I've only ever had the SATV flip and I really liked the venting feature. It looks like they've come a long way compared to the fit on my Gen 1 too. I'm confident that I want the SATV flip again. He's throwing it in at no charge, no freight, no set up, no doc fee. Best deal I can find around me and he's giving me a very fair trade. I'm excited to check out the new one.

I've trailered my SATV flip for thousands of miles with no problems. The only thing I would change is I wish they were easier to remove for long road trips. That's the one thing the OEM Yamaha has as an advantage is quick removal for transport.

Registered
as far as keeping the teenager engaged with audio, your better off having the teenager use ear buds with their phone and own music. much cheaper and they are in control of it. This way you can talk to the wife at the same time and not have the radio blasting. IMO humbly...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts