Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted a clean solution to have 4 or 5 relays for lights and accessories. I also wanted an Always-On option instead of the Key-On factory plugs behind the firewall and an individual fuse for each.
Capture1.JPG

After doing some digging around I found these 2 items from Amazon:
The box was $10 from Mictuning - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Relays with wires was $12 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Capture.JPG

Started by removing all the wires from the from the relay connector plugs with connector tool but a small flat tip would work as well. While working with the relays, I removed the metal mount brackets too. You can then transplant those wires into the relay box based the accessory requirements, you will need to terminate the wires for the fuses though. If they do not snap in securely, I would use the terminals that came with the relay box (difference between the two terminals is minor but I had to re-terminate a few). In order to crimp these securely, I would recommend buying the right tool.
20190510_192605.jpg

My accessories only require 4-pin relays, so I chose to use Red for positive to fuse, Blue from fuse to relay #30, White to the switch #86, Yellow to the ACC #87, and Black for negative #85. 87a not used.
Capture2.JPG

I also chose to build my own pass thru distribution block for the pos and neg instead of running all the wires out the side with the rest. This will allow easy future add-ons including a 2nd battery. For the pass thrus I used a piece of all thread cut to length, thread locker on the 2 nuts clamping the plastic. Used the washer placement (lined up in between relays on the inside) to drill the holes.
20190520_175857.jpg
Notched the bottom cover for the pass thru
20190520_180139x.jpg
20190520_180437x.jpg

You could run all the wires out and mount a distribution block on the bottom cover but I chose the above route.
20190520_180220.jpg
20190520_180248.jpg

Don't forget to number the wires with the associated relay before closing up the bottom cover and cinching the zip-tie.
20190520_180034.jpg

I have left over 8 AWG from the winch that I will use to connect to the battery. Terminal covers came from another winch install that was not needed.
Capture3.JPG

I'm going to use Delphi (2 Circuit) Weatherpack 14, 16 AWG Terminal Kits for the switch and acc wires. I bought a large case years ago but I’m sure Amazon or Ebay has them.
41LBlL9IuqL.jpg

The distribution block pictured above will be used behind the firewall for the switches.

Plan is to mount the box to the firewall.... I'll post more pics once I get the connectors done and get it mounted.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,877 Posts
Wow, very very well done. I have always on circuits now but very basic compared to this.

Mounting space is scarce which hinder a more exotic setup.

Reactions: BaneBadger

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, very very well done. I have always on circuits now but very basic compared to this.

Mounting space is scarce which hinder a more exotic setup.
Thank you. I wasn't sure of the mounting areas available in the Gen1s so I posted this in the generic section. They gave the X2/X4 a decent amount of room under the hood which allowed this setup.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,877 Posts
It is tight in the Gen 1. A small area front right/top is the only area and you have triple check behind the plastic panel. there are critical modules behind the front area. In my case I picked up battery power from my +ve battery feed at the winch solenoid, easier and no acid issues down the road. Same with -ve and for ground and use a large Mar grounding cluster for the wires I have. I bought a -ve post buss type unit but there isn't a single place to mount it unless along the plastic under the passenger side. Spatter of road debris might be a problem. I'll modify the situation later as required. I have HD 30/40A relays order with plug pigtails included should I need controlled circuits via slave switches as well.

Ahhh - Sorry this does not reduce but adds the the superior PDB you built and implemented. Oem's should concidered after market accessories for addon to their electrical harness design. It so easy to do at that time. Even the switched circuited needed for my dealer install winch needed to be tapped into the lighter socket wire!!! Why, thats bad planning.

Reactions: BaneBadger

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went out and looked at a few pics on here and they definitely didn't give the Gen1 any room for something like this. But I would say Yamaha listened and improved with the X2/X4, lot more room and designed with accessories in mind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts