Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an open trailer and when bringing my Wolverine home, I had difficulty deciding where to place my straps to tie it down to the trailer. I have custom made ratchet straps with D rings so I can go around round tubes and back to itself. On the rear I went to the safety chain connection holes on either side of the 2" receiver hitch, but on the front I wasn't so sure. I used the a-arms, but the straps slide over to the plastic CV joint guard which will eventually ruin a strap. Where are you guys attaching your straps? Pictures are appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
I use tire bonnets for both of mine. Was using straps but I did have 1 break before from the suspension jumping up and down. Rather not take any chances.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
I incorporated this mounting point into my home made winch mount.

I utilize my RZR extractor in the rear for tie downs.

Reactions: Abell34 and MORSNO

·
Registered
718 Posts
I use wheel straps on the front wheels. Its never moved on me going out some pretty questionable roads at good speed.

buggytrailer.jpg

Reactions: TC618 and MORSNO

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Its hard to see in the pic but I strap mine down front to back and back to front. In the rear I hook onto the 2" receiver and in the front I hook onto the triangle shaped gussets (Might not be the strongest point but its better than hooking onto a A-arm, etc and it works for me) on the frame behind the front tires. The road into our regular park has nasty hills and rocky as hell so it get tossed around pretty good and I have yet to have it move an inch using this method.

hookup.PNG

Reactions: MORSNO and TC618

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have a car hauler that has a bump stop at the front. I pull all the way up to the bump stop. I run a strap around the center of the front bumper and secure it to the front of the trailer by the hitch. Then I simply run 2 on the back. One through each eyelet on either side of the Wolverines hitch going to deck hoops that I installed. Never had an issue. Even with the trailer going airborne last fall after hitting a huge hole in the road.

There is no good or bad way really. Just put a strap at each corner and ratchet them tight. Check at each stop.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I use the retractable ratchet straps available from etrailer.com. They bolt directly to your trailer so they are always there and the straps are made from seat belt material so they just don't stretch much at all. When you un-hook from your Wolvie they automatically retract back into their housing. I use them in conjunction with motorcycle straps and my Wolvie doesn't move during transport. Easy peasy. https://www.etrailer.com/Cargo-Tie-Downs/CargoBuckle/IMF18800.html

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just a quick update on my tie downs. This weekend at our annual Great Alaska Sportsman's show I saw a trailer vendor that had a SxS tied down with a set of tie bonnets. They didn't have any at the show, but at their shop they had a new variety of Mac's tie downs in stock. I picked up a set of 4 wheel nets/bonnets and a few more tie down anchors for my trailer at a pretty good show discount. I'll post up pics next time I load my Wolvy up. Mac's wheel nets, wheel bonnets, tie-downs, and spreader bars

·
Registered
395 Posts
This is how I have been doing it.

In all seriousness. 2 in the back on the trailer chain loops. I do one in the front around the push bar since I have a metal bump stop on my car hauler. People seem to over think this. Just stick one in each corner and ratchet it down nice and tight and check at each stop.

·
November WOTM Winner!
882 Posts
This is how I have been doing it.

In all seriousness. 2 in the back on the trailer chain loops. I do one in the front around the push bar since I have a metal bump stop on my car hauler. People seem to over think this. Just stick one in each corner and ratchet it down nice and tight and check at each stop.
I know. I usually tie mine down on the 4 corners pulling out, then it can't really go anywhere. Seen too many people pull straight down then hit a bump going down the road and it shifts because of the suspension

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've always dome the four corners also, I just didn't like the front ones rubbing on sharp objects, the rear was easy. These wheel nets make it super easy and lock it down good.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I use the retractable ratchet straps available from etrailer.com. They bolt directly to your trailer so they are always there and the straps are made from seat belt material so they just don't stretch much at all. When you un-hook from your Wolvie they automatically retract back into their housing. I use them in conjunction with motorcycle straps and my Wolvie doesn't move during transport. Easy peasy. https://www.etrailer.com/Cargo-Tie-Downs/CargoBuckle/IMF18800.html
Those are cool, a bit pricey.. I wonder how they hold up after being in the elements. I always have to replace my ratchets due to mud, dirt, weather, etc.

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
man I'm gonna get ragged on this one, see it comming:)
How far did you go like this? A quick braking action and a jack knifed trailer would not be pretty! I also wouldn't trust the winch holding with the jerking on the gears, they can strip with the jarring as the suspension bounces. You do have side rails and a rear ramp, but dang dude! Any load over 10' is supposed to be strapped down front and rear also....but you southern boys live differently :D

Reactions: LeadSled01

·
Registered
26 Posts
I will second the use of Mac's straps. I use the same 2 inch ratchet straps that I tie my car down when hauling it. They are a little pricey but it won't get loose.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Walters, Walters, Walters.............SMH..........

Yea I wouldn't trust the winch either. I go to all 4 corners, perhaps it's overkill. I figure better safe than sorry. I think at a minimum you should have it tied down front & rear. With it only tied down in the front a sudden maneuver could cause the rear of the buggy to shift sideways or worse. I'm sure you are a very good driver........it's always the other F$%^ head I worry about.

Reactions: Kirk57 and MORSNO

·
Registered
20 Posts
I put straps thru 1 foot pc's of heater hose and then thru the rims . That way the machine can
still move and the straps wont come loose .

1 - 20 of 71 Posts