Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i've searched myself into confusion. Anyone have any recommendations on the different tuners? I think I've decided on doing the pv3 so i can flash it back to stock if i take it to the dealer, so that appears to limit me to weller or rpm/rudd. I am however thinking I will wind up with the alba exhaust tip. i've searched and searched and now more unsure than when i started. haha.

thanks all!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
They are all about the same. I doubt for general riding you'll be able to tell a difference. Go with whoever has the best deal. Dynojet who makes and sells the PV3 also has tune and will probably be the cheapest. The only thing I can see being different is if you want a tune for a specific octane gas.

·
Registered
2022 RMAX2 XTR
178 Posts
Does the PV3 have to remain plugged into the machine? The reflash of the computer sounds better than leaving something else plugged in to me

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
4,125 Posts
Does the PV3 have to remain plugged into the machine? The reflash of the computer sounds better than leaving something else plugged in to me
No it does not unless you want to monitor sensors or display additional ones.

·
Premium Member
2022 Rmax Sport
465 Posts
I had the Weller racing tuned PV3 on my X2 and now on my Rmax. Couldn't be happier. Fan kicks on at lower temp, machine runs cooler, cooler exhaust due to rocker fuel map, can read codes and gauges with PV3. It does what it was designed to do.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Keep in mind with dynojet your only getting generic tunes as in one fits all. If you want a safe best result get a dyno fuel run and build a fuel map accordingly. Use the unit that will allow you to build a fuel map. (Allowing duty cycle of injectors to be changed thru out the revs and throttle range).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Keep in mind with dynojet your only getting generic tunes as in one fits all. If you want a safe best result get a dyno fuel run and build a fuel map accordingly. Use the unit that will allow you to build a fuel map. (Allowing duty cycle of injectors to be changed thru out the revs and throttle range).
With weller and rpm you get their tunes (assuming you pay for it) on the dynojet. Not just the generic tunes.

·
Registered
82 Posts
With weller and rpm you get their tunes (assuming you pay for it) on the dynojet. Not just the generic tunes.
All I am saying is if your loading a fuel map that has not been built from the fuel readings of your engine then your loading a guess ie Generic map. No two mass produced engines run identical, and having flashed a few thousand ecu's on a dyno over the past 20+ years enables me to state that. This can be even more an issue if your vehicle is in a designated country other than where the generic maps were built due to fuel differences etc. .If your unit has a D Mode switch you would also build a map in all 3 modes . Any change to engine inlet or exhaust can and will effect fuel readings. So if you want the best out of your Max then get your Max to a dyno shop (Preferably with an Eddie Current dyno over an inertia type) and get a custom map built. 👍 .

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
A dyno is always the best way to tune but my thoughts are the average person is not going to be able to tell much if any difference between Weller, Alba, RPM, or the generic dynojet tune. Weller's appeal is the ability to run a different tune for different octane gas.Unless you have serious mods that need a custom tune, I say go for what ever is the cheapest. However, having a PV3 for other stuff is very nice.

·
Registered
82 Posts
A dyno is always the best way to tune but my thoughts are the average person is not going to be able to tell much if any difference between Weller, Alba, RPM, or the generic dynojet tune. Weller's appeal is the ability to run a different tune for different octane gas.Unless you have serious mods that need a custom tune, I say go for what ever is the cheapest. However, having a PV3 for other stuff is very nice.
You may be surprised at the difference actually as it's not all about horsepower. Crisp sharp throttle response along with lineal power delivery makes for a sweet ride along with knowing your not damaging your engine as an added bonus also. As for changing maps for different octane, what's the point in changing a fuel map if you have no idea what your changing from or to ? The map you take out could have had better A./ F ratios than the one you load? So again your not measuring your simply guessing as the old one tune fits all just doesn't work. Being able to flash the ECU is great especially with fan temps, rpm limiters etc etc changes being available. Ideally you can fit a system like an Innovate data logger ( no affiliation with ) and do your runs logging A/F readings then when back home trim and adjust your fuel maps accordingly.. Hot day under heavy load and lean A/F will turn pistons to ashtrays surprising quick. Quite simply put, if you buy a unit and load the wrong map you could actually end up with less Hp than you had before doing so 😕 Now that's money well spent :rolleyes: Now to be clear I'm not knocking the various units or manufacturers for as said they give you the ability to change and adjust but without fuel readings :unsure: You buy a saw to cut a piece of timber but it doesn't inform you where to cut it, you need a tape to MEASURE that ;) Enjoy your ride 👍

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I drag raced and played with SCT tuners as well as wide band monitoring trying my luck with superchargers and nitrous. I'm not disagreeing with you one bit. I'm actually agreeing with you. However, most people will never be able to tell the difference between tuners. Spending time and money on the dyno isn't going to fly well when they get the bill and not feel much difference. In competition areas all this was very beneficial especially when trying to be right on the edge of gernading the engine. Some mail order tuners are really good and get just as close datalogging as an actual dyno tune. At the end of the day on my last vehicle we could get maybe 20 more horsepower out of my Lightning (mail order vs chassis dyno). That can not really be felt and not much if any difference in my ETs. Now if you could get 20 hp in a SXS, you would feel it but I highly doubt you'll get anywhere near that with a SXS dyno or mail order tune. I'd love to be proven wrong but I think your going to need a power adder like a turbo. At that point I would absolutely be getting it on a dyno and running a wide band. However, if I was going to do that, I'd buy a YXZ. The octane thing doesn't appeal to me but it is a selling point for those looking at Weller. Personally I'm running the generic dynojet tune. My reasons for buying it was to lower the fan on temp and for better cold weather starting. I average around 3 mph. I trail ride and use it for farm work. I'd like to see a shootout same machine same driver same day. Flash between the major tuners and post their 60 foot and 1/8 mile times.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think i missed what you were saying. I agree, coming from drag racing, diesels and off road racing most all of my stuff, and one I was building were tuned strapped to a dyno. I doubt there are any real noticeable gains power wise, nut I bet the drivability are better. and "assuming" any out of the box tuner "should" be really safe, but possibly something to build on later if wanted. But really to build on it, it would need to be a much more capable machine. which comes at a much higher price tag. For an out of the box unit the rmax is pretty good.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts