Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I have been lurking on Wolverine forum for about a month; doing lots of research. There is a wealth of info on this forum

I wanted to get everyone's recommendation on a new purchase, as I am trying to minimize the "I should have bought XYZ instead" if possible.

My location is Utah, in the Salt Lake Valley. In Utah we have 6-10k elevation Uinta mountain trails, lower 4k elevation mountain trails with scrub oak and sagebrush (like the west side of Utah lake and 5-mile pass); high deserts and sand dunes. Not to mention; Moab.

I have never owned an ATV or UTV, but need a new hobby. I thought I would buy a jeep and then have fun tweaking it to ride in the hills; but talked to too many people with reliability/cost issues. Besides; UTV's seem more fun. I am not sure if my wife will get "into it" but if she does, she will want to drive rather than be a forever passenger

I figure I can go riding on Saturday mornings; even in the winter (if the snow is not deep) at the low elevation sage brush mountains; along with high desert flat BLM roads and trails. I think most trails are Jeep capable but I am not an expert on what we have here.

My daughter got married in Cabo San Lucas a couple of years ago and I rented a Honda Recon ATV one day and then a RZR 800 60 inch the next. On the ATV I was hanging on for dear life following the crazy Mexican ride leader. The next day was much more fun riding the RZR in the same areas (beach, dry river beds) following the same crazy leaders. Both days I had a ball while avoiding helping with the wedding details.

I doubt I will ever ride dunes. It doesn't look that fun to me as I doubt I will be a jumper.

The other options seem more my style. I am told that 50" is not a huge issue unless you go to some of the bigger touring trails in middle Utah.

I envision going off by myself most of the time; and with my college age son 1/3 of the time until he goes off to school. Probably 80% of the time in the high desert mountains near Salt Lake. 20% of the time will probably be at camping events in the Uintas with nieces, nephews and future grand kids. Giving them calm rides to and fro.

My left brain tells me to buy a Yamaha Wolverine; as it is a cross breed between a utility UTV and a RZR. My left brain also likes the price and the Yamaha reputation for reliability. The cockpit is nice. 50 mph is probably fast enough for me. I did drive a Wolverine up in Centerville at a dealership. The have a small dirt track in the back.

My right brain wants a RZR because they are way cool, have tons of accessories; and will be powerful enough, no matter what I decide to do in the future. The 900 is scary fast in the limited test drives I have done; while the 570 is probably plenty nice and is more like the 800 I drove in Mexico. But the 900 series has a much more comfortable cockpit. I have a mixed opinion on the reliability of RZR's as half the mechanics I have talked are saying not to worry about it (I wont be destroying the vehicle) while the other half steer me away from Polaris (they work on both Polaris and Yamaha). I have also read the known issues on this forum and the Rzr forum

I am handy and can do simple car work; but not tearing apart engines; welding and the like. I would imagine that I could replace belts on a UTV, and that actually sounds fun...minor tweaking of the vehicle but not a total rebuild.

Here is what I have come up with and I admit to being in a brain freeze as to what I should buy. The prices are the best deal I have found with no taxes, doc fees, accessories etc. to keep things equal

2016 Yamaha 700 eps Wolverine- $12,700

2016 RZR 570 eps trail- $11,800

2016 RZR 900 eps trail- $14,500

2015 RZR s 900 eps with SLP clutch work to get EBS $15,960 (I want EBS)

Obviously, I would like to spend as little as possible.

Any advice would be appreciated, as I am sure there are folks out there that chose one over the other and either loved their choice or did the "I should have bought XYZ."

·
Registered
575 Posts
Get the wolverine you'll be happier in the long run. If you're going to run desert too then maybe I'd consider the YXZ but that's more than the models that you listed.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I bought my Wolverine because I can trail ride, hunt, do farm work go to the race track all from the same ride. I take my doors off when at home and it's easy in and out.. Like a golf cart. The ride is second to none. Guess it's going to depend on what you plan on doing the most with your machine. 80 percent of my riding is around my house and county roads. I have been all over the Rockies in mine and I have no complaints.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I looked hard at the RZR. Joined the RZR forum. Read all the problems they have. Bought a Wolverine.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You won't be disapointed with Wolverine ! Super ride and enough power to be fun but not get you hurt. I have always drove it like I stole it! And that got me in trouble on 900 rzr, Do not need that much power to trail ride!

·
Registered
718 Posts
I thought for many years about a RZR, but was hesitant to pull the trigger on something I could only borderline afford from a brand that is known for reliability issues. Early this year I got serious because I was in a financial position to upgrade from the 4 wheeler. I was very interested when I started reading about the Wolverine, then was lucky enough to be able to go to a Yamaha demo day close to home. That sealed the deal for me that I was buying a Wolverine. I have zero regrets about the choice I made. It's a great machine and I plan on owning it for quite a few years.

·
Banned
504 Posts
Polaris offers a lot of machines but they all require extra maintenance.
Their suspension components are inferior.

I traded a 570 in on my Wolvy. I got the white se for $12.2 otd from Romney Cycle.
The quality of Yamaha is just so much better. Even the plastics are thicker.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sounds Like my story. I looked for about 2 to 3 months. I wanted a trail model in the beginning. I looked hard at the rzr 900 trail and the Artic Cat trail with diff lock. I really wanted a trail model but at 6'2" and 62 yrs. of age. They were just to small for all day riding comfort. There are a lot of jeep roads in my area to ride. I have a great time riding. The ride is great. Also in 4 low w/diff lock, I can climb at a slow comfortable pace with power to spare. I went through a very rocky area on my last ride and was amazed at not getting stuck and no rocks hit the bottom skid plate.

The only draw back, to wide for ATV trails.

·
Registered
395 Posts
The guys I ride with mostly have Polaris. No real issues with our group other than the 800 don't seem to like water.

2 big issues I have with the RZR 800 and 1000 is the battery mount location is under the seat. If you do any kind of wet riding, your battery pretty much sits under water. Belt housing does not seem to seal well and its setup on the 800 is terrible. Way better on the 900 and 1000.

Wolverine is a nice simple trail machine but for the same price you can get an 800XP which is faster, rides nicer, handles better and looks more sporty.

If you do go RZR, get an XP. The Trail machines are pretty tippy.

I went from a CanAm Maverick to the wolverine and I have more fun on the trails with it.

Also, look at the Kawasaki teryx . I really like how they are set up. Especially the front hood. Opens like a big rig. Has great doors too!

I have a blast in my Wolverine. I think the suspension gets overwhelmed at times but its a great all around machine and has taken everything I have thrown at it. With the Yamaha you also get the great Ultramatic transmission. Yamahas are typically very reliable but since the Wolverine is a new model, the jury may still be out on it. I trust it though. I went everywhere the 1000 RZR in our group went. Even more places since he has a hard time committing a 21,000 dollar machine into a questionable mud hole :).

Also teryx and Wolverine are very comfortable. Easy to get in and out of and have great seats/seating position. That's important to me. The RZR is more like a cockpit where you sit low and the machine wraps around you where the teryx and wolverine is more like sitting in a golf cart.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
The guys I ride with mostly have Polaris. No real issues with our group other than the 800 don't seem to like water.

2 big issues I have with the RZR 800 and 1000 is the battery mount location is under the seat. If you do any kind of wet riding, your battery pretty much sits under water. Belt housing does not seem to seal well and its setup on the 800 is terrible. Way better on the 900 and 1000.

Wolverine is a nice simple trail machine but for the same price you can get an 800XP which is faster, rides nicer, handles better and looks more sporty.

If you do go RZR, get an XP. The Trail machines are pretty tippy.

I went from a CanAm Maverick to the wolverine and I have more fun on the trails with it.

Also, look at the Kawasaki teryx . I really like how they are set up. Especially the front hood. Opens like a big rig. Has great doors too!

I have a blast in my Wolverine. I think the suspension gets overwhelmed at times but its a great all around machine and has taken everything I have thrown at it. With the Yamaha you also get the great Ultramatic transmission. Yamahas are typically very reliable but since the Wolverine is a new model, the jury may still be out on it. I trust it though. I went everywhere the 1000 RZR in our group went. Even more places since he has a hard time committing a 21,000 dollar machine into a questionable mud hole :).

Also teryx and Wolverine are very comfortable. Easy to get in and out of and have great seats/seating position. That's important to me. The RZR is more like a cockpit where you sit low and the machine wraps around you where the teryx and wolverine is more like sitting in a golf cart.

Good luck.
Not sure what machine you are referencing here, they do not make an 800XP...? The only comparable machines they make, the OP listed with pricing.

To the OP:

Avoid the trail width RZR's. They are tippy as hell, and do not have near the suspension that the S models have. Several family members have them, I have replaced belts for them on all of them. The last belt literally exploded into about a thousand pieces..unreal. If you are at all a HP junky, and need to scratch that itch, AND have the money for the repair bills, get the S 900 model and get your clutch work done. That solves the number one reliability issue with Polaris right off the bat. However, if you think reliability is more important, you can have a blast in a wolverine, for a lot less money than a RZR S 900. Oh and forget the teryx, rides like a brick. BIL has one, it's horrid.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Do yourself a big favor and get the wolverine. Have 1300 miles on mine, rode 400 in 5 days at hatfields not tired at end of day, the ride incredible .hillclimbs effortless, deep mud no problem, rock solid on the trails, handles off camber very well. Went everywhere the 50 inch machines went. Can't beat it for all around everything. The choice is yours ,listen to the reviews and get yourself a wolverine.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
the price difference between Yamaha and Polaris extended warranties tells you all you need to know about reliability!

I have had an Polaris 800, 900xp, 900xp4, 1000xp and now the wolverine.

Got rid of 800 because was tippy

went from 900XP to 900xp4 thinking I would move the noise further from the driver but it did not work.

Dumped the 900xp4 because went into limp mode every other day plus felt like driving a bus

the 1000xp looked great but took me a year just to get the rocking horse ride out of it then the fuel pump started screaming. Polaris said I had wait for it to die before they would replace it ($400 for just part, no labor) even with the warranty. When it started screaming louder than the motor at 30 miles an hour, i moved on

only have 250 miles on Wolverine but happy so far. yes, could have a little more power, but knowing it will probably always get me home is important too. When Polaris pump 1st acted up, i was 25 miles out in Moab with just wife on a Wednesday. Got back but wife was going nuts. (or more nuts LOL)

If I was going back to polaris it would be an old 900xp.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Not sure what machine you are referencing here, they do not make an 800XP...? The only comparable machines they make, the OP listed with pricing.

To the OP:

Avoid the trail width RZR's. They are tippy as hell, and do not have near the suspension that the S models have. Several family members have them, I have replaced belts for them on all of them. The last belt literally exploded into about a thousand pieces..unreal. If you are at all a HP junky, and need to scratch that itch, AND have the money for the repair bills, get the S 900 model and get your clutch work done. That solves the number one reliability issue with Polaris right off the bat. However, if you think reliability is more important, you can have a blast in a wolverine, for a lot less money than a RZR S 900. Oh and forget the teryx, rides like a brick. BIL has one, it's horrid.
My bad. 900xp. 800s.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
I was seriously considering the Honda till I read about some of the shifting issues on their forum, so far real happy with the Wolverine.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I also looked at the Pioneer 1000 and bought the Wolverine. Just read the reviews.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
they are all good until they break down or have other issues,its how these issues are addressed that counts.i traded my polaris for my wolverine hoping to get better service,but am finding Yamaha the same.i contacted my dealer about my sagging shocks and he said he has no replies from Yamaha in over two weeks.

·
Vendor
771 Posts
I was seriously considering the Honda till I read about some of the shifting issues on their forum, so far real happy with the Wolverine.
Had a Honda/Yamaha dealer call me about a sheave and got to talking about the new Honda, he said very expensive to repair the tranny when it goes and it will Lots of solonoids etc in it. He said average was about $3000 to fix one and belts are only $100.

But I do like the big engine part

·
Super Moderator
504 Posts
I am not a Honda guy at all but I would absolutely trust the new Honda P 1000 over anything Yamaha is putting out.

I too read all the forums guys.

They all have some problems. I trust my Polaris vehicles as much as I do Yamaha these days.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts