Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning a trip to HM soon.

What trail system do you recommend seeing and how long does it usually take to get through most of each trail system?

Recommended places to stay that are both (security/Safe) and pleasant environment to be at?

Thanks for the information

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
We have stayed at Ashland Resort a few times-it is absolutely wonderful. I have zero complaints, and I am hard to please lol. They have great bath houses with hot showers, a laundry facility, night time security guards with CCTV, yet it still feels rustic and you drive the ATV's and SxS's around the campground and right onto the trails. This campground gives you access to the same 3 trail systems as DogRunner above, with enough riding for several days. There are also an extensive amount of "outlaw" trails surround the area which are even better than the HM trails. You can easily ride 100 miles a day and not ride all the trails in 3-4 days.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Rock run trails. I stayed at Twin Hollow campground. Real nice cabins. Trailhead dumps right into campground. Only complaint is you have to trailer your stuff up the mountain. If you feel that your camper/truck/tow vehicle won't make it they will tow your trailer up the driveway with their tractor. My truck/trailer made it without a problem.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I keep hearing that location from people as being a great place.... I have to find these outlaw trails thou..... Thank you for the input I defiantly what to have a relaxed time .... MUCH NEEDED!!!!

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
I keep hearing that location from people as being a great place.... I have to find these outlaw trails thou..... Thank you for the input I defiantly what to have a relaxed time .... MUCH NEEDED!!!!
Here is a gps file of the outlaw trails if you have a compatible device.

If not, go here. They have a hand drawn map lol.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
AWESOME!!! No go on the GPS stuff i've not used my Garmin in years and switched to Apple systems ugghhh.. Guess look for a hand drawn map or something online out there.

These trails sound pretty awesome. We are defiantly talking deep south trail riding now!!!! LOL

·
Registered
16 Posts
I stay at Ashland atv resort every month. The trails are great the cabins are nice. Very good spot but carry all your food to the resort, not many places to eat dinner there lol. We get the 2 bedroom cabin with the bathroom in it. If you dont want to spend that much the one bedroom is great. Even RV hook ups and tent sites. For the maps you should be able to use your iphone. I use my android tablet and it tracks me on every outlaw and HM trail even without a signal and thru train tunnels. I use ourxmaps and the offline wv atv trail maps. Google the WV atv trail maps from the rzrforums website. A guy on there has made an amazing digital trail maps that puts all others to shame.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Is there a Jolly Bee restaurant close to WildWilly's resort? Looked it up and it appears to only be a mile or so away. Not sure if it's actually open or not.

Wife wants to go just for that :D LOL She's a filipina and it's like the McDonald's of the Philippines.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sum. Ding Wong when you come to HM. PM me a few days ahead and if I can I will show you around the trails I live 1:30. Away and know most of the outlaw trails worth riding.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Is there a Jolly Bee restaurant close to WildWilly's resort? Looked it up and it appears to only be a mile or so away. Not sure if it's actually open or not.

Wife wants to go just for that :D LOL She's a filipina and it's like the McDonald's of the Philippines.
What's the address? I don't know of one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
We were just at Wild Willy's two weekends ago. The cabins are basic, but good enough for an ATV resort. The location is easy to get to and close to Indian Ridge. Willy is a good guy and very helpful. I don't own a side by side (yet) so we rented a Polaris Ranger 570 midsize. Not a plush ride or powerful engine, but it climbed like a billy goat!

I want to do a full trip report, but haven't had time to sit down and focus on it. In the meantime, I created a video of the ride from Wild Willy's to the Indian Ridge parking lot and trailhead. Hope this helps to give you a feel for the area.

Heads up... There's not really anyplace nearby to eat. The only thing we saw was a roadside trailer. We cooked a bit at the cabin and ate out in Bluefield and Bramwell.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts