Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

Is anyone treating their windshield with anything to help shed water and mud, and to aid in cleaning after the ride? Just put the Yamaha folding on the Wolverine and of course I'm worried about scratching and discoloring it.

How is everyone cleaning their windshield? I think they just recommend a mild soap and rinsing it with water, but I have seen people sticking a squeegee to it. For the price of them, I'd like to make it last as long as possible.

Is Windex suitable? Is there anything that you definitely want to stay away from?

Thanks in advance,
JTB

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
I carry a squirt bottle of windex with a squeegee and towels in my cargo box. No scratches yet. It's a durable windshield surprisingly!

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Reactions: RangerRick

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
I just did alittle reading and it seems that windex is ok to use on lexan polycarbonate but don't use it on plexiglass (ammonia damages the plexi).. Lemon pledge on lexan polycarbonate seems to be the preferred stuff. Although generic dollar store pledge is just fine.

·
July WOTM Winner!
207 Posts
I use windex all the time. I do treat mine with Rainx as well..I've tried the rainx for plastic but it doesn't hold up as well as the glass one. No issues with any of the products I have used. The Yamaha windshield does hold up very well even when I squeegee it out on the trail. The scratches I do have are from the larger branches that have dug in during an exploratory ride thru heavy brush.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i use rainex and squeegee as well.everything beads right off

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rain-X

I was wondering about Rain-x, but I didn't know they had a product for plastic. Which one do you use muddywaters? I had heard of people using Windex and waxes. I thought they were talking about applying paste waxes. Lemon Pledge never came to mind.

I thought I saw a member of the forum mention that he was a plastics engineer on a thread I read. I was hoping he would respond. Unless, it was one of you fellows who was all ready kind enough to put your 2 cents in. Does everyone agree that a squeegee is safe to use?

Later on,
JTB

·
Registered
39 Posts
its the squirt bottle 2in1 glass cleaner plus rain repellent

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
These are like $1.50 at Walmart and other like stores. Guys use these to suck water from creeks and ponds to squirt their windshields and radiators when out on the trail up here.

foam-squirt-cannon-extralarge-389866.jpg

·
July WOTM Winner!
207 Posts
Nice thinking Morsno, I like that idea....I'll be picking a couple up now.

Reactions: MORSNO

·
Registered
37 Posts
Anything that you wipe across the windshield whether it's a squeegee or a rag or your hand, if there is mud or grit or sand on the surface, you are essentially creating sandpaper and you will create micro marring and scratches and haze. The key is if at all possible to blast everything you can off with the hose before you ever touch it, and use sudsy water and a soft mitt with as low of pressure as you can to avoid making scratches. Obviously sometimes you have to do it in less than ideal conditions but the key is not to grind any grit against the surface. Aquapel is a better product that lasts longer than Rain-X. I have not tried it on plastic but on glass it's far better. I would avoid using Windex or anything with ammonia because this will break down any protection you have put down. Stoner Invisible Glass is a bit less harsh... But I would recommend using Plexus, or Klear-to-Sea. Pledge is made for wood furniture, use the right tool for the job.

·
Registered
93 Posts
X2 on the rain-x

1 - 18 of 18 Posts