Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The video mentions that some individual parts are not serviceable.
So maybe the clutch packs come with the new differential Case??
Maybe item 22? I'm not sure as I haven't had to dig into the front diff yet.

View attachment 86614

Edit: Item 24 is a friction plate.....

https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/5b27cef187a8661118ea0634/front-differential
They were pretty discreet with non-serviceable clutch pack. Can’t really tell from the diagrams. I still like Yamaha’s 4wd system though. :)

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Right, I think it's just a friction plate with a spring plate and washer plate behind it that make up the 'pack' for normal 4wd operation, (friction slip on 1 wheel), but diff lock is fully locked.
Front Differential Lock was a must have for me.

·
Engineer
1,776 Posts
Use EngineButter in the front differential. It is wet clutch safe and will clean the friction plates in the the limited slip differential. EngineButter's detergent will clean both metallic and non-metallic parts. EngineButter's nano lubricants will only attach to metal and will not attach to non-metal parts.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,604 Posts
Only butter around these parts is for Toast and the like.
Otherwise GL5 of someones out of the bottle such as RedLine 75w90 at almost 4 times the cost of the Canadian Tire Dino gear oil. The Dino was much quieter for sure. I checked the level several times thinking it was low but not so. I may just go with the Canadian Tire Synthetic and be done with it. Redline was suppose to run cooler and be much slipperier as well. I bought into that and going to drain it soon after I get my machine back from the dealer working on it now. They finished the engine rebuild with the kit from Yamaha and will do the CVT next, so Friday I may be able to pick it up.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
As we've discussed, a lot depends on the build of parts.
My truck had a clutch pack which was a series of plates that requires a LS additive or it results in catastrophic failure.

You want a oil that can hold up to the heat and pressure of the gear loads.
Clean oil is important as debris or water will cause cracking and/or pitting of gears.
I've had to use burr bits and tapper these cracks and pits so the hydraulic pressures don't cause further damage.

As I mentioned in the other post about additive packages, some industrial departments, through testing and analysis have concluded that the life/up time of their machinery was increased.
When I discussed this with Engineering, they concluded that it was probably due to the specific loads and environment that the equipment is subject to verses the same equipment in other Plant applications.

It was a few years ago when I helped my buddy rebuild his front diff in his Yamaha ATV.
I didn't recall a friction plate at the time, but I do recall the other plates as I helped clean them.
That's why I was thinking we had a 'clutch pack'.

That Yamaha video showed that friction plate and got me thinking, I know, as if I don't think enough....lol.
Anyway, now we know how the front differential works.

·
Engineer
1,776 Posts
MassiveOverkill says he has been running Gearbutter in the front end for thousands of miles successfully. Which is really good news because it is much better with gears and bearings. Especially with our sliding pinion gear that engages the four wheel lock.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
MassiveOverkill says he has been running Gearbutter in the front end for thousands of miles successfully. Which is really good news because it is much better with gears and bearings. Especially with our sliding pinion gear that engages the four wheel lock.
I may be crazy but I’ve been thinking my locker works better than ever on the transition since the last fluid change when I added the butter!

·
Engineer
1,776 Posts
I may be crazy but I’ve been thinking my locker works better than ever on the transition since the last fluid change when I added the butter!
You are not crazy. The front engagement has always been finicky to go in and out of. Sometimes you have to go into neutral and wait a minute for it to come back out. It works better with less friction.

·
Administrator
2,686 Posts
Did massive add gear butter to front, rear, and transmission ?
I put Gear Butter in all 3. You can do Engine Butter in the front if want to heed the precautions. I have had zero issues in the 8K miles I've been using it in there (started using it at 3K miles)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Front diff 2nd service. 2K with Yamalube . For something that I never use and dosent heat up like the rear diff. Im shocked to see this much metal flakes.

Filled it back up with Amsoil Severe Gear this time.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,604 Posts
Was it the fluid changed before along with the first service? Mine was and haven't changed it since. Your diff maybe different but most of the work is done by the rear I believe.

Maybe I'll change mine before the real cold weather hits.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts