Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about some tips on trailering. How do you tie them down ? What have you tried ?
pictures My strap broke today on the front that held it in place, luckily I had two safety straps on the bumper.
It made it home nice and safe.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I got a pair of 1700lb (i think) ratchet straps, then went to a local towing place and bought a pair of wheel straps. Run those over the front wheels, tighten them down, and it hasn't moved on me yet after going out some fairly rough roads at fairly high speeds. The guy I bought my trailer off of hauled his on there that way and made the good point that if you tie to the wheels down, you dont have to worry about the straps slacking as the suspension moves when you hit bumps.

buggytrailer.jpg

·
Registered
395 Posts
Ratchet strap at each corner attached to the frame of the machine. Some people like to attach to the tire although the machine will still sway. Nothing wrong with that, I just prefer to do all 4 corners and ratchet it down to compress the suspension and keep everything tight. Tie up excess strap somewhere so it doesnt blow around.

I bought some of these as they retract and are nice and clean.

You can also mount them directly to the trailer so they are ready to go.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Tire bonnets are the way to go. If you tie it to the frame, the suspension still can compress when hitting bumps. This can cause the straps to come loose or snap. Hey, we've all done it though.

Ran etrak on my trailer. It's best to tie the tires down straight in front and behind.

IMG_20150930_164914_594.jpg

·
Registered
395 Posts
Tire bonnets are the way to go. If you tie it to the frame, the suspension still can compress when hitting bumps. This can cause the straps to come loose or snap. Hey, we've all done it though.

Ran etrak on my trailer. It's best to tie the tires down straight in front and behind.

View attachment 1362
Yes, they can come loose. I have had this happen a few times but it was only with the low quality straps I was using. Haven't had a problem since I got some good straps. I still check them every stop. I he-man them down now so the suspension is pretty much fully compressed.

If you want to go the tire route, you can also use a regular ratchet strap and and go through the wheel on both sides both front and back so you don't have to get special straps. Any way works well, just what ever you are comfortable with.

If you have an enclosed trailer... Hell, I would just do a single cam buckle on the front :)

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
i use floor hooks in front & behind each wheel with heavy ratchet straps over each tire (4 total) plus front & rear frame pull downs for sway. May be over kill, but I want the unit on the trailer even if the trailer tips. Imagine the liability if you loose it!!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I will take a picture next time, however, 4 corners at the bumpers, compress suspension and tie up the loose ends. strapping down at the wheels will work fine, however you are left with an active load that will still move based on the suspension working when you encounter bumps, sharp curves, hills, etc.

compress the suspension on all 4 corners gets my vote :D stay static my friends!!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Here is how I do mime and never even had to retightened 20151006_153635.jpg 20151006_153656.jpg 20151006_153540.jpg 20151006_153706.jpg 20151006_153812.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: dascrow and Timmi

·
Registered
242 Posts
3 Ratchet tie downs.

IMG_4617.JPG IMG_4614.JPG IMG_4616.JPG

Reactions: Timmi

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
How about some tips on trailering. How do you tie them down ? What have you tried ?
pictures My strap broke today on the front that held it in place, luckily I had two safety straps on the bumper.
It made it home nice and safe.
Well, for starters, this is a very situationally dependent topic. Can you tell us what type and size trailer you have? Pictures are even better. If you have an enclosed trailer, for example, you would not be tying down the same way as with an open mesh trailer with short walls, and that would also be different than an open flat deck trailer. I personally tow with a deck over trailer right now, but have towed with them all. With a deck over, I do not have any walls at all, and I have a rail around the entire perimeter to tie straps to. It is also a 7x12, so i center the machine and have plenty of room to run straps without it being to close to the edge. I run 4 straps total, two in front and two in back. The back ones are hooked to the frame at the hitch, and pulled out away from each other. The fronts are hooked to the frame behind the winch, also pulling to opposite sides of the trailer from each other. This way, once tightened, the machine can go absolutely nowhere unless a strap breaks completely. I am not worried about compressing suspension, because I am positioning the machine horizontally so far out that it won't matter if the machine bounces off the trailer 2 inches high, it still isn't coming loose or falling off. Now, this cannot be done with garbage walmart or home depot straps, I use real shipping straps, they run anywhere from 15-30$ each. I cannot remember the load rating off the top of my head, but it is very high. It is 2" wide commercial webbing, not going anywhere lol. I don't have any good pictures of it tied down, but here is the day I bought it. IMG_20150516_112826513_HDR.jpg IMG_20150516_112837261.jpg

EDIT: HERE are the straps I have. WLL is over 1600lbs, break is 5000lbs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts