Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about buying a Wolverine, but have to store it and the trailer in the garage. Must fit through a single garage door that's 93" total width (I realize I'll most likely have to take it off the trailer to get it in the garage due to the height). As such, I want the smallest trailer I can safely get away with. So... Will the Wolverine fit on a 5 x 8 flatbed trailer?

Something like this... https://thehitchmaninc.com/product/5-x-8-sure-trac-galv-tilt-2k/

Other advice?

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Stock overall dimensions are 116.9"L x 60.6"W x 74.2"H... I think you would be ok with a 6 X 10 but most guys are using 6 x 12's. With a 5 x 8 you would have it hanging off the trailer on all sides.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
We use a 5.5' x 10' single axle, open, wood-floor trailer with pipe top rail and it's a bit tight. I really wouldn't want to go any smaller. The outer dimensions of our trailer are 83" wide X 168" long (7' x 14').

Reactions: Ryder

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We use a 5.5' x 10' single axle, open, wood-floor trailer with pipe top rail and it's a bit tight. I really wouldn't want to go any smaller. The outer dimensions of our trailer are 83" wide X 168" long (7' x 14').
Thanks for the feedback. My local Lowe's home improvement store sells one that size, but it looks huge. Guess I'll have to look at again with tape measure in hand.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate the feedback MrDwig. That's what I was afraid of. I saw one on a 5.5 x 10 trailer and it looked to have enough space to drop two feet and still fit. Either that or the sales didn't realize that was a 12' trailer. :)

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
It only looks huge until there's a Wolverine sitting in it. :)

Reactions: atkbike

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Appreciate the feedback MrDwig. That's what I was afraid of. I saw one on a 5.5 x 10 trailer and it looked to have enough space to drop two feet and still fit. Either that or the sales didn't realize that was a 12' trailer. :)
And those dimensions are stock sizes.. Add wheels, tires, spacers, bumpers, etc. they only get bigger lol. I am over 10' long and 66" wide currently.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Lmao ftm!!!

Reactions: atkbike

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Ryder, something else no one has mentioned, weight capacity for trailer/tires. In your opening post the trailer you linked to only has a payload capacity of 1,650 lbs. (13" wheels). Most trailers when they specify a weight capacity that is total weight, meaning you have to deduct the weight of the trailer to see what weight is left for you to actually haul. I suspect with the 13" wheels that the 1,650 lbs. of weight stated as payload does not include the 350 lbs. for the trailer itself. If this is the case that trailer is not rated to haul a 1,300 lb. (approx.) Wolverine and by the time you add accessories and gear and such, your Wolverine will very likely be up around 1,500 lbs. easily. With a 10 ft. single axle trailer you probably will be in the neighborhood of a 700 lb. trailer plus another 1,500 lbs. for the Wolverine and it would be nice to have a little safety margin so your looking at a trailer with weight capacity of 2,200 lbs. at a minimum. Be sure to look and see what the tire sidewall states for a max. weight capacity, depending on the quality and type of tire, the weight capacity can very greatly. I'd look for a trailer with a 14" wheels or bigger.

A lot of guys do use trailers with 13" wheels but hopefully they aren't hauling them long distances and it may be a 4-wheeler trailer they already had. In your case having to buy new, don't skimp on trailer size, tire size, or trailer weight capacity; you'll be glad in the long run.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
Ryder, something else no one has mentioned, weight capacity for trailer/tires. In your opening post the trailer you linked to only has a payload capacity of 1,650 lbs. (13" wheels). Most trailers when they specify a weight capacity that is total weight, meaning you have to deduct the weight of the trailer to see what weight is left for you to actually haul. I suspect with the 13" wheels that the 1,650 lbs. of weight stated as payload does not include the 350 lbs. for the trailer itself. If this is the case that trailer is not rated to haul a 1,300 lb. (approx.) Wolverine and by the time you add accessories and gear and such, your Wolverine will very likely be up around 1,500 lbs. easily. With a 10 ft. single axle trailer you probably will be in the neighborhood of a 700 lb. trailer plus another 1,500 lbs. for the Wolverine and it would be nice to have a little safety margin so your looking at a trailer with weight capacity of 2,200 lbs. at a minimum. Be sure to look and see what the tire sidewall states for a max. weight capacity, depending on the quality and type of tire, the weight capacity can very greatly. I'd look for a trailer with a 14" wheels or bigger.

A lot of guys do use trailers with 13" wheels but hopefully they aren't hauling them long distances and it may be a 4-wheeler trailer they already had. In your case having to buy new, don't skimp on trailer size, tire size, or trailer weight capacity; you'll be glad in the long run.

The trailer he linked actually has a 2000lb axle, which is the limiting item that sets payload. Payload, by definition, is the weight it is capable of hauling. The GCVWR would be the weight if the trailer plus the payload capacity, which would be 2,000lbs. So, he is safe with that trailer, or at least he would be if it fit dimensionally lol.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It only looks huge until there's a Wolverine sitting in it. :)
Here's the thing...the trailer had a Wolverine on it. I asked and the salesman said the trailer was the Triton 1064 (10'L x 64"W). The Wolverine wasn't all the way to the front and still had plenty of room at the back. Best guess...that was a 12' trailer. Based on the feedback above, there's no way there was that much room left on a 10'. I should have taken a picture...darn it!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright fellas... Any thoughts on this one? 63" x 120" with no real side rail to cramp my style (minus small angle edge). Just need the tires to clear the fenders. :)

Local(ish) dealer has it for $2300. I can get a steel one for about $1000 cheaper, but I think it's worth the $ to save the weight (estimating 500# less) as I'll likely have to "negotiate the trailer" by hand at times.

6310H Utility Trailer | Single Heavy Axle

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
I have an Aluma 6.5'x10'. I have plenty of room behind my Wolvie and i pull it up about 8" from the front rail. The gate design does angle out alittle. It's not the typical 90 degrees floor to gate and this does help.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
I have the Aluma 7712H with Bi fold gate. I can lay the gate down with Wolverine on it (& have 8" in front), so 10' should be no issue. Aluma makes great trailers. I would recommend using large washers / Aluminum backers on bottom side of deck when mount you tie downs. That floor is thin but strong. I know you indicated you did not like the side rails, but they can be handy to be sure the unit does not slide especially on that aluminum deck (gets kinda slick when wet) Is Nice not to have to worry about corrosion though.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Alright fellas... Any thoughts on this one? 63" x 120" with no real side rail to cramp my style (minus small angle edge). Just need the tires to clear the fenders. :)

Local(ish) dealer has it for $2300. I can get a steel one for about $1000 cheaper, but I think it's worth the $ to save the weight (estimating 500# less) as I'll likely have to "negotiate the trailer" by hand at times.

6310H Utility Trailer | Single Heavy Axle
I'd go wider because that one states the tail gate is 59.5" wide. The Wolverine at stock is 60" to the outside of the wheels and a lot of us that have put aftermarket wheels on are now at 62"-66" wide so part of your tire would be off the edge of the tailgate when loading if you go to an aftermarket wheel that is 5+2. When everything is perfect such as flat and dry for loading/unloading probably would never have an issue with tires partly hanging off sides of tailgate but things are rarely perfect; not always easy to unload/load in a perfectly flat area then throw in rain, mud on tires, snow, ice, etc. and it might be easy for tires to spin and/or slip to one side and then would quickly be an issue.

Reactions: Ryder and atkbike

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Papa. The problem is that I can't really go wider; unless I get one with the wheels underneath the bed. The 63.5" trailer is really 85" total width. My garage door is only 92.5" wide. Even with this narrow of a trailer, I'll only have 2.75" of clearance on each side. That already means I'll be unloading the UTV and hand moving the trail into the garage; only to reload the trailer. Unfortunately, I live in a neighborhood with no place to store the trailer (damn HOA). My only other option is to pay $100 per month to store the trailer at a lot down the road. Not really an option to me.

Maybe it's time to relook the 50" market. :(

1 - 20 of 31 Posts