Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Wolverine X4
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Open question, just curious...

It seems many of us have our X2/X4s for the utility usage of plowing, yard chores, family outings, hunting etc, then obviously being able to take the same machine trail riding...

But it also looks like there are many on here that have an X2 strictly for trail riding. If you're in that category, my question is what led you to make that choice, I'm just getting into sXs's and it seems if you just need two seats and a trail machine, that it would be really tough to look away from the pure sport units such as the KRX, RZR, YXZ etc.
Any pure trail riders that are choosing the X2(RMax included) over sport machines, how come?

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Reactions: atkbike and Dan

·
Registered
2020 Wolverine X4
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was wondering about that this summer when we quickly had the X4 filled with camping gear... it would be tough to go away from a box machine after you get use to it. Between my chain saw and bag with an extra jacket and recovery gear, I'm pretty sure I'd have some of the smaller sport machine boxes filled right up, never mind have spare room for extracurricular activities.

That post of yours is handy, thanks.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I’ve been driving a truck for the last 17 years now. I can’t even imagine not owning a truck and driving a car. A truck is too damn convenient for somebody like me. I like to think that I’m handy, and I also have multiple hobbies, and they all require a lot of “stuff.” A SXS with a bed is like driving a truck...its too damn convenient, and I can haul more of my “stuff” in it than a pure sport model that doesn’t have a bed.

A SXS with a bed just fits my lifestyle better. And the fact that it’s a Yamaha means I can own it for years and still not have to worry about it’s reliability. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
2020 Wolverine X4
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...A SXS with a bed just fits my lifestyle better. And the fact that it’s a Yamaha means I can own it for years and still not have to worry about it’s reliability. Just my opinion though.
Before I knew anything about sXs's and just saw them quadding, I wondered why anybody in their right mind would have a sXs without a box... I guess that basically is the case for a lot of people, especially outdoorsy, handy type. And to be fair the KRX is brand new, maybe it's somewhat larger box and capacity will steal some business away from the X2 & General going forward.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Well there is something women like about a pickup man. Country music really has gone down the hole since Joe Diffie. Can't listen to anything past the early 2000's. Good thing for Sirius XM.
There are some really good new guy's out there, you just won't hear them on the radio. Aaron Lewis, Bleu Edmonson, Corb Lund, Cody Jinks, Buddy Brown, Hank III and Drive-By Truckers all have some good stuff.

I originally bought a Gen 1 because it was sporty with some storage and cheap. It was my first SXS and I knew from other builds it takes a few tries to figure out what you really want. I would not have bought an X2.

·
Registered
539 Posts
There are some really good new guy's out there, you just won't hear them on the radio. Aaron Lewis, Bleu Edmonson, Corb Lund, Cody Jinks, Buddy Brown, Hank III and Drive-By Truckers all have some good stuff.

Thanks, Hank III is all I've heard of. Will have to look the rest up.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha Wolverine X2 R Spec Special Edition in Tactical Black
28 Posts
I chose the X2 because it wasn't a "one trick pony" it is versatile and reliable and can be used for things other than trail riding. That said i mostly do trail riding...when traveling in a group I have the cooler and the break down gear and lawn chairs with me in the bed. The young ones can blast ahead but never too far that I don't easily catch them up when they break something or get stuck. The pure sport machines tend to be more expensive and prone to breakage...most probably as a result of the uninhibited driving style the pure sport moniker implies. The X2 continues to impress me with it's capability on the trail I have yet to come across terrain where it couldn't go . I ride in southern BC Canada and the trails are steep , sharp slippery shale and can be narrow and unforgiving. If I rode exclusively on dunes I might have a different opinion ...that's my 2 cents

·
Registered
2020 Wolverine X4
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I chose the X2 because it wasn't a "one trick pony" it is versatile and reliable and can be used for things other than trail riding. That said i mostly do trail riding...when traveling in a group I have the cooler and the break down gear and lawn chairs with me in the bed. The young ones can blast ahead but never too far that I don't easily catch them up when they break something or get stuck. The pure sport machines tend to be more expensive and prone to breakage...most probably as a result of the uninhibited driving style the pure sport moniker implies. The X2 continues to impress me with it's capability on the trail I have yet to come across terrain where it couldn't go . I ride in southern BC Canada and the trails are steep , sharp slippery shale and can be narrow and unforgiving. If I rode exclusively on dunes I might have a different opinion ...that's my 2 cents
That would be my biggest fear of committing to a pure sport, the fact that a versatile machine like an X2/X4 or General can handle 95% of the trails. The other 5% that requires an aggressive pure sport is pretty rare, and usually hard on the machine and even dangerous. So you would have this expensive, one trick pony pure sport machine, just driving down regular trails with no storage capacity... then the guy in the wolverine passes you on the same trail with a cooler, lawn chairs, wife and kid, chainsaw etc lol.

Goes without saying as a Wolverine owner, pure sport would be fun but really hard to justify.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had a gen 1 I bought for trail riding and after having out on the trails for awhile I finally got everything dailed in on the shocks and that was a major improvement in ride quality, however after riding in a couple of Rzr I couldn't get over how much more the suspension could soak up compared to my wolverine. The other issue I had was when doing road travel from the cabins to the trails or trail to trail it just didn't have the hyway speed that I wanted. I felt like I was going to get run over and the rest of the group would leave me behind in a big way on the roads (rangers and quads) I think Yamaha did an awsome job with the new Rmax desing and I would be all over an SE if I were staying with a utillity machine, but I did some measuring and I can fit my cooler and tote of tools in a RZR so I decided to make the leap to an XPT. I road my brothers for several days in the Black Hills and its just hard to beat the ride and the power is just a bonus. His machine is an 18 running 32" tires an AA stage 3 kit and the water cooled turbo kit and even with all these mods it is still running the factory belt. If your strictly looking for the best ride quality I'd go sport all the way, but if you need it to do chores or hauling big loads then I'd say RMax SE with the IQS shocks, I'm betting that before long Shock Therapy will have a spring kit for them to make an even better ride. Whatever you choose enjoy it.

·
Registered
2020 Wolverine X4
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I agree with pure sport for ride quality. You can just see it in their design. Sport machines have the suspension crawling up and almost cradling the entire unit. The Wolverines or Generals with beds and utility strength are basically upright buggies with a shock slapped under each corner. Travel and shock quality obviously go a long way, but there’s still only so much you can do with a buggy.
That’s why I thought the RMax might have been a sport machine with clever utility features, rather than a larger, more powerful, longer travel buggy. IMO Kawasaki is the closest with the KRX to the ultimate sport utility unit. They were obviously focussed on pure sport, but if you could take that platform and tweak it with utility features, I think there would be a lot of consumers who would sacrifice slightly less utilitarian perks, for the overall ride experience.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Most pure sports are 68" or wider. I think alot of us also prefer the 64" and under machines for their ability to go pretty much everywhere. The trick is to get good suspension in that type of machine. It also depends on where you ride mostly, desert, mountains, slick rock, dunes. For me, it's mountains and trails, and some are small and precarious.

So far, the RMAX seems to fit that. Talon X models ride like crap (so everyone says) without new springs and / or shock re-valve), KRX is just to big and heavy for me, as are most 68" machines. I would never swap my Gen 1 R Spec for an X2, that is going backwards for me. My Gen 1 has taken me anywhere I had the nuts or need to go, and with cushy 28's and shocks set right and bead locks is pretty soft riding. I also have a high riding fold up cargo carrier for hunting or if extra hauling space is needed.

And, it's nice to have certain gear with you depending on your particular ride. Was kind of hoping the RMAX was going to have trailing arm rear suspension, as it generally rides better and allows for more travel, but there is only so much you can do at 64" anyway. I am seriously looking at the RMAX XT-R
(I like that green...) for my next and probably last machine. Yamaha reliability has me pretty much set against any other brand, after heavily researching the KRX and Talon.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Reactions: Jraoffroad

·
Registered
2020 Wolverine X4
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't think think KRX can be called heavy anymore.
Yep, same as the RMax X2, and lighter than the humongous RMax X4

At 60" the X4's width was a contributing factor in purchasing it over the Pioneer 1000-5. At 64" and 66" the RMax is no longer in the tight and nimble category.

The RMax 4 is one of the bigger and heavier units out there now, I need 4 seats but can't go that large yet in my area. If I did though, I'd be very tempted to just look at the full size 4 seat RZR or Generals. I assume with the rear passengers not directly over the shocks that they'd still ride much better for everyone, and aren't much longer than the RMaxX4.

Once the RMax went into full size territory with the pure sport machines, there's so much more you can do with the geometry. That's why I was surprised to see them just double down on a bigger buggy with more travel.

Which goes back to my original post, except for the pure utility buyers, the RMax X2 will now be thrown into the ring against certain pure sport machines like the KRX whether it wants to be or not. From my keyboard's angle I would stick with a tighter and smaller X2 and take advantage of the utility. If I was going big, I think I'd skip the RMax and go right to KRX...
Although who knows, maybe I'm overvaluing the KRX and KRX owners will end up saying, hey this machine isn't that much better than an RMax with all that utility, I'll just switch to an RMax.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I fit the topic's demographic to a "T". I don't use it for yard work or working on property. The X2 is less expensive than a pure sport machine by several thousands of dollars. It has a more upright seating position that I enjoy. I'm not sitting low in a race car. I enjoy the cargo space. Most of my recreational riding is putt-putting around on tight technical trails on sides of hills through trees and multiple creek crossings. I do have to use Diff Lock, it's not easy riding. I'm in low range and maybe topping out at 8 mph. I do ride on my gravel road to visit neighbors but I'm in low range at about 14 mph. It's like the ultimate 4wd golf cart: super comfortable and more than capable for where I ride.

I totally understand the desire to own a more sporty machine. My X2 has its shortcomings.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
I have different groups I ride with.
One group is mostly RZR Pros & Honda Talons. The other group is a good mix of machines, i.e. Honda Pioneers; RZR 800, 900's; Polaris Rangers; CF Motos.

When I'm with the Pioneers, rangers, CF's and smaller RZR's, I feel like the Sport machine, especially with my lift & tires.
When I'm with the Pros & Talons, I do everything on the trail they can do.
They always comment on how I can make this X2 dance, what they don't know is that it's not me, it's the machine.

Now I wish those Pro's & Talons would come with a larger bed so I wouldn't have to pack their extra items they don't have room for......lol

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
All in All, at the end of the day, you got out and either worked or played the machine.
You're not sitting on the couch watching the clock....lol.

I always say, bring what ya got and let's have some fun.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I don't think think KRX can be called heavy anymore.
You're right, looks like she only has about 20 lbs (not including fluids?) on the RMAX, which is listed at 1876.1 wet weight, KRX at 1896.3 (dry?)

I do like that machine, the more I see it. I'm just stuck on the width and length, which can also be benefits. I think I need to go see one in person.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts