Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hear from anyone who has experience use either or both. What you like and dislike. I only have a 1/2 ton truck so weight is a concern. I dislike the idea of towing 2 trailers, but also not crazy about the layout and my dirty/muddy wolvy in my living space. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
You are pretty limited with a 1500 series truck due to payload. Finding a travel trailer or toy hauler that will fit a SxS will require a larger truck. This is the reason you see so many truck campers out west and up north here, you can carry your house and still tow a trailer with your toys. One lighter weight option is an enclosed trailer with portable cots at night.

Reactions: therebel19

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
A small lightweight fifth wheel with a utility trailer isn't a terrible option (unless you have to back up) Being a DIY type I like the idea of converting a enclosed trailer to a combo unit.

I once converted a diesel school bus into a toter home. Took the shell off all the way up to the windshield, mounted an 18' cargo box and had open deck on the back long enough to haul my CJ7. Unfortunately I got 1 use out of it before it was destroyed by vandals.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i tow a work and play 25cb with a f150 5.0 3.55 rear end
i have to change my front tires on the wolvy to make it fit
you park in the living space
the only ones where you could do that would be fith wheels

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Truck rated for 9k towing, Looking at a 21' toy hauler that claims it can hold a RZR 4 1000. Thought that would be big enough for the wolvy. There are several light weight trailers. Anyone towing a travel trailer and a utv I would like to hear how its working for you.

·
Registered
198 Posts
my problem with toy Haulers are after they are a year or 2 old all you smell is gasoline when you walk in the door of them,, the enclosed trailer with sleeping quarters is a good idea to me. the campers you see now with the popup on front are pretty neat and light, something like this popup.jpg

·
Registered
198 Posts
only problem is the popup toy haulers have not been around long, so the are pretty expensive, you could actually make you one out of a trailer and old popup camper, if you wanted to put a little time into it

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine rides in a work and play 28br with a petition between the living quarters and cargo bay. When loaded the hole rig about 10k. Pulling with a f250 6.7 power stroke.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I converted a cargo trailer to a toy hauler and works well,but to me a flat deck truck and a pull type trailer is the ideal rig, because with a camper and toy hauler you have to break camp if you want to ride somewhere other than where you are camped.in Canada it illegal to tow two trailers with a pickup.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Keystone RV makes the Impact 303, which is a bumper pull with a separate garage. 100" wide (outside) 10 ft garage. Total rig is in the 30ft. range. It has 2 slides in the living room/kitchen area and a north/south bedroom layout. It would need a 3/4 ton truck to pull, or maybe a badass 1/2 ton. The wife and I are thinking about getting one, but that is part of a 5 year plan. By then I might have her talked into a 5th wheel. :cool:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Good thread. I just sold my travel trailer after buying the wolverine. I have the truck to pull a toy hauler but am looking at cheaper options. I'll be looking at jumping jack trailers. Saw them at the Denver ISE show, interesting concept.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I seen one on the interstate today someone took a camper like you put on back of a truck and put it on front of a gooseneck trailer then had there jeep behind it, it was pretty neat

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
I seen one on the interstate today someone took a camper like you put on back of a truck and put it on front of a gooseneck trailer then had there jeep behind it, it was pretty neat
Those are known as ******* Truck Camper Trailers. Google it and look the images, tons of ideas.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had a 16 ft enclosed trailer I made into a toy hauler and out grew it and went to a Forest River Wild Wood FSX260RT. I just put a tarp down before I pull it in and it has 2 vents to open when you are pulling it to help with any possible fumes. I am on my second season with it and have no complaints at all. Pulling it with a 1/2 ton Silverado

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts