Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cought in a delima two weeks ago my wolverine was totaled my wife wants me to buy a Maverick xmr and sell all the extra things I have for a wolverine like rims and tires ect instead of getting a new wolverine I am torn because I loved my wolverine but also like the Maverick I would like some honest opinions on this please

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,283 Posts
Wait till July to confirm the Wolvy with 850. Can Am's engineering has me wishing bad ju-ju on their engineers.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Sorry to hear about your totaled Wolvy. On the bright side, if you really liked it and if the rumors are true that there's a new 850 two-seater coming, you could likely pick a smokin deal on a 708 after the announcement.

Reactions: Atcdan13

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha RMAX 2 XT-R 1000
1,351 Posts
Cought in a delima two weeks ago my wolverine was totaled my wife wants me to buy a Maverick xmr and sell all the extra things I have for a wolverine like rims and tires ect instead of getting a new wolverine I am torn because I loved my wolverine but also like the Maverick I would like some honest opinions on this please
Sorry about your total, hope no one was hurt. What happened by the way, any pics? Also, having painfully researched the good and bad of most UTV's, I personally would be hard pressed to go with anything other than Yamaha at this point in time. Plus you already have a bunch of parts...

·
Registered
547 Posts
Sorry to hear about your rug. Instead of a maverick, how about a yxz? That would def be an upgrade.

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Sorry to hear about your rug. Instead of a maverick, how about a yxz? That would def be an upgrade.
Depends on his trails. They are not an upgrade around here.

·
Far from stock
Former decked out 16 wolverine
970 Posts
Agreed. 1000cc machine that will do 90+ makes almost no sense in 90% of the trails I’ve ridden on the east coast areas. I’d love to rip one in some dunes.

Depends on his trails. They are not an upgrade around here.

Reactions: atkbike and kukini

·
Registered
101 Posts
Xmr meaning the mud addition? If so, I bet it would ride rough. I ride with a new maverick xxc and it is nice. It never comes out of eco mode because the owner finds he doesn’t need 101hp on the local trails we ride. It is very warm in the cab and its geared a little high. I have driven it a few times and the suspension is nice. It feels a little longer then the wolverine and needs an additional backup now and then to get around obstacles. The clutch is aggressive and it has plenty of power. The owner likes the smooth clutching of the wolvy and the manageable low to mid range power, but feels the wolverine feels flat over 45 mph.

Jim

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for your comments and yes my wife was hurt she ended up with a badly broken jaw that required a plate and screws and had most of her teeth knocked out and has to get all them replaced and that's one reason I am looking at can am the wolverine cage held up but I don't think it would have if it went over again and the can am has a lot better cage we ride in mostly tight trails so a yxz is out of the question still trying to decide

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will let you all know what I decide in the next day or two and further comments are welcome... also does anyone on here live close to Central or southern Illinois?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Thank you all for your comments and yes my wife was hurt she ended up with a badly broken jaw that required a plate and screws and had most of her teeth knocked out and has to get all them replaced and that's one reason I am looking at can am the wolverine cage held up but I don't think it would have if it went over again and the can am has a lot better cage we ride in mostly tight trails so a yxz is out of the question still trying to decide
Glad to hear that she's going to be OK. I'm sure it's been a painful recovery. Just curious, was she wearing a helmet in the crash? We're pretty good about wearing them but sometimes don't.

·
Registered
651 Posts
holy cow man that sounds like a horrible wreck. I cant imagine having my wife get all smashed up riding this thing. id be ok with myself getting banged up, been there before but I hate to hear about others ending up injured. Its an unfortunate risk every one of us assumes every time we ride. I hope she recovers well and doesn't have a lasting fear of recurrence. I feel your hesitation the stock wolverine cage is not exactly reassuring. I've heard many of the yxz drivers build new cages as well for the same reason. Maybe an extra 500 bucks on the sticker would be worth it if they would put a well thought out cage together.

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
It dont seem like any mfg's have a good cage, the x3 does seem the stoutest. If I was buying today the Wildcat XX seems to be well built and checks most the boxes.

Reactions: erik

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Unfortunately we weren't wearing helmets and she will be ok riding again she is a very tough little thing lol she's used to things like this I have raced dirt bikes street bikes cars ect and she has always been around for it all I have broken 26 Bones in my life and had over 1000 stitches so she doesn't get freaked out about much... I appreciate the concern and hope to ride with some of you sometime the cage is an issue in my eyes with the wolverine it only went over 1 time and I believe if it would have rolled again it would have gave out and I have friends with can ams that have rolled multiple times and didn't damage their cage

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't know how to send pictures but it pushed back the cage a few inches and even bent the cage uprights on the frame that's not acceptable to me

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha RMAX 2 XT-R 1000
1,351 Posts
Though a good cage is important, more important is the machine under it. Most any cage could be added on to, or beefed up, aftermarket added, etc. I would stick with the best machine I could get, and fab the cage a little better. I wouldn't take much on most to probably double their strength by adding a few bars in the right places.

·
November WOTM Winner!
880 Posts
I don't know how to send pictures but it pushed back the cage a few inches and even bent the cage uprights on the frame that's not acceptable to me
You have to remember that in some cases the cage is designed to bend or crush an allowable amount to act as a shock absorber. Just think how much more violent the crash may have have been if everything had remained rigid.

To be honest with all the people doing cage chops its a pretty serious concern. If yamaha has designed the cage to absorb energy with say an expected 3" of crush, well that was just taken away with your cage chop.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree with the cage giving some but the disturbing part to me was how it bent and most of all how much the cage supports that are part of the frame bent that is supposed to stay ridged ... I am talking about the non replacible parts

1 - 20 of 26 Posts