Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2021 RMax 2 Gray in Nova Scotia
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone build or ideas on this.

Thinking of going up about 8-10" on the sides and instead of on top of the fenders, inside resting on the bed. Maybe some angle aluminum spanning across at the front, center and rear.
Hinged at the front to lift so I could open a cooler.

Thoughts??

·
Registered
428 Posts
This isn't what you're looking for but thought I'd share because I got one of these bags and always jokingly called it my sxs tonneau cover. It's especially handy for family riding, any loose one off items get tossed in the big bag.

Reactions: Maggot

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So that would work in some cases. I'm trekking across Newfoundland in a couple weeks. Many towns allow atv's and SxSs to travel downtown to amenities. And we'll mostly camp but will hotel it too. So there will be times where I won't be in view.

Keeping things somewhat clean and dry is one thing, but I want the security. As incredibly friendly as Newfoundlanders are, they still have there share of fuckers who'll take your shit.
I know things can get stolen no matter what's put in place, but I'm hoping to stop some random douche who sees an easy picking of some gear.

Here's version 1.0 progressing. Haven't decided on the top yet but really happy so far. And only 9000 bucks for 2 2x8s. I may paint it, carbon fiber wrap, or diamond plate.
Some decent bracing across the top and one could store a spare.

Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive design Trunk
Wood Bumper Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sounds like a bucket list trip for me. Wish we had something like that here on the left coast.

Looks like your on the right track for your tonneau. If you wanted to keep it a relatively cheap project you could use a piece of 5/8 plywood for the top. Mounted to a piano hinge. Then get a flashing/roofing company to make a cap/top with short sides out of some black 24 Guage sheetmetal. Even get some cheap struts from princess auto or parts store. Maybe a sheetmetal skirt for your 2x8 ‘s
I own a sheetmetal company here in Vancouver. Half my house is sheetmetal. Lol!
Interested in seeing how you finish up your project. Love that sort of stuff.Goodwork!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice idea about the sheet metal top. Yes thinking of plywood top and struts. I was thinking of diamond plating the sides and back. If I diamond plate the top it'll become an expensive project. I'm not against spending a few bucks on the thing though as I'm really liking the utility of it, and can see keeping it on after the trip.

I want this to look good and function well.

Sounds like a bucket list trip for me. Wish we had something like that here on the left coast.

Looks like your on the right track for your tonneau. If you wanted to keep it a relatively cheap project you could use a piece of 5/8 plywood for the top. Mounted to a piano hinge. Then get a flashing/roofing company to make a cap/top with short sides out of some black 24 Guage sheetmetal. Even get some cheap struts from princess auto or parts store. Maybe a sheetmetal skirt for your 2x8 ‘s
Interested in seeing how you finish up your project. Love that sort of stuff.Goodwork!
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
178 bucks at princess auto for a 4x4 sheet of diamond plate... then again, plywood is not much cheaper. Lol.

Aluminum lid would be nice as it's light and I wouldn't need the plywood. If plywood, I'm thinking 1/2" thick with some bracing.

Gonna visit a couple metal shops this morning for ideas. I'll take the frame with me. Maybe I'll find a guy not busy, no boss around, and likes little projects.

Diamond plate would look pretty good. Specially if you painted it.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So I found a metal shop with diamond plate..
A siding/roofing company gave me aluminum flashing to cover the 2x8s. So I beat the snot out of that today with some wood and a hammer.

Still not done.. Cut and bend the edges, strengthen the lid and the progress continues.
The aluminum peg board on the back above the tailgate can hold tools, cooking utensils or toilet paper.
Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Plant Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gotta say, the superatv rear windshield makes a heck of a mirror.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The back window is tinted. It's not coated though so superatv windshield is super easy to scratch.

Lots of messing around the tailgate. The tailgate sits a little higher then the fenders then has \____/ at the latch.
Black Motor vehicle Gas Font Automotive exterior

·
Registered
428 Posts
Looks good! We need a zoom out of the whole machine to see how that chrome goes with the grey.

I just realized from your license plate and signature(duh) that you're in Nova Scotia and planning a trip to NFL, not in NFL already. Does Nova Scotia have a lot of good riding too?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So the window has a nice tint. But yet to see if the diamond plate will be an issue reflecting the sunlight. Won't take long to tarnish though and dull a little.

I misunderstood. I thought you were getting a glare from the box on the inside of the cab.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I'm from Newfoundland and go back every 2nd yr to visit the family. Never owned an offroad machine, so never saw much of the Newfoundland trail.

NS has lots of great trails too, all over the province, mostly day or 2 stuff and your returning. Not the same at the trailway crossing the Rock.

It's the planning and mystic of the Newfoundland trip that's unmatched. You leave your truck/trailer in parking lot in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia and drive the km or so in the atv/SxS right to the ferry terminal.

From this ferry terminal you already decided if you're taking the 6hr ferry ride to the West of Newfoundland, or the 18hr ferry ride to the East coast of the island. Most take the east ferry to Argentia and ride west. Because it's the old rail bed, you'll be entering a village, town, small city, every 30, 50, 80 kms or so. With some north/south treks along the way.

It's the whole aura of the trip. Booking the ferries. Seeing other machines waiting for the ferry at the terminal, everyone has stories, driving the 900-1200 kms to make it across, and the ferry back at your truck some 7-14 days later.

Heard many stories where a machine breaks, a local (lets call him George) shows up and tows you to Ed's place, who's a welder. Next thing you know Ed and George's buddies are bringing beer to ya and the wives cook up a big scoff with moose and fish... The machine is repaired the next day but you end up spending 5 days at George's place.

Looks good! We need a zoom out of the whole machine to see how that chrome goes with the grey.

I just realized from your license plate and signature(duh) that you're in Nova Scotia and planning a trip to NFL, not in NFL already. Does Nova Scotia have a lot of good riding too?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Wow that sounds amazing! I am sure looking forward to hearing the stories you make on the trail. Your bed cover is one of the best I've ever seen.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thanks, into it for about 100 bucks. Guys at my old work will bend the lid next week. Some piano hinge, weather seal, and latches/lock and we're all set.

If the lid gives as annoying reflection, I'll rubberize undercoat, or flex-dip the thing flat black.

I'm already picturing racks on the lid and sides to house a gas can or a spare tire.

Why we can't get a manufacturer to make this out of aluminum and sell if for 300 bucks is beyond me. In all honesty, it kinda bugs me that I had to build it. Good thing I retired last week, so I had the time to play with it.

So many ways to expand the accessories if a company is willing.

Wow that sounds amazing! I am sure looking forward to hearing the stories you make on the trail. Your bed cover is one of the best I've ever seen.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Made a couple little L brackets, spacer washers, add a couple little eye bolts to the wood frame, drop a bolt, caribiner, or in this case, a couple allen wrenches.

Now I have a secure tailgate.

Wood Plank Wood stain Hardwood Flooring

1 - 20 of 29 Posts