Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha Wolverine X2
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a 2" lift on my last SXS (an OG 2016 Wolverine). I loved the look, and the additional ground clearance, and never had an issue with it. A good portion of my riding is off-road during my hunting trips, and I also have been going once a year for a solid three days of riding at the HMT in WV. So a lift would really help with my style of riding. Now I have a 2019 X2 R-Spec and have been seriously considering lifting if for a while. I've had my eye on the 2" lift by Perfex, but I wanted to take a wait and see approach to see if it affected the reliability. Since I've waited I have heard a fair amount of discussion about excessive heat in the rear CV joint hubs after it's been lifted which "might" be causing reliability issues. (Which probably is not isolated to just Perfex.)

My question is...if I lift will it affect the long term reliability? And if so, by how much?

I thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
I installed the 2" Perfex lift and would do it again.
I did set the rear to 1.5" setting and reinstalled my sway bars.
No issues since.
If you don't want the sway bars, I would install limit straps.
I was stuck and had 1 wheel off the ground fighting to get out. The full droop on that wheel pulled the CV boot off the axle.
So the sway bar limits that 1 wheel droop.

The 2" rear setting is to much I think. During install, you have to push the A-arms down and keep pressure applied to make up the bolts, so that's a tell.
10" wide tires need rear spacers as they will rub the shocks at full droop in the 2" setting also.

Some complain of heat build up on long rides at higher speeds.
I average 20 mph with top speeds of 40 and haven't noticed any issues.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha Wolverine X2
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I installed the 2" Perfex lift and would do it again.
I did set the rear to 1.5" setting and reinstalled my sway bars.
No issues since.
If you don't want the sway bars, I would install limit straps.
I was stuck and had 1 wheel off the ground fighting to get out. The full droop on that wheel pulled the CV boot off the axle.
So the sway bar limits that 1 wheel droop.

The 2" rear setting is to much I think. During install, you have to push the A-arms down and keep pressure applied to make up the bolts, so that's a tell.
10" wide tires need rear spacers as they will rub the shocks at full droop in the 2" setting also.

Some complain of heat build up on long rides at higher speeds.
I average 20 mph with top speeds of 40 and haven't noticed any issues.
Skelley521,

Thank you for replying.

I have removed the front sway bar, not the rear. Do you think I need to re-install it? I've heard people recommend the rear 1-1/2" setting over the 2". I have a tendency to ride faster than you've indicated. I wonder it that might create an issue?

I have 28x14-10's all around with 1-1/2" spacers on the rear.

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
I installed both sway bars until I had time to add limit straps, but summer is coming and we do faster rides so I'll probably leave them.
We ride a lot of tight trails and sharp switchback dirt roads, so it's hard to get above 40mph.

If I did a lot of high speed riding, I wouldn't install the lift.
We do tight & technical with deep ruts and large obstacles, so a lift was needed.

The front doesn't seem to be as big as a issue as the rear.

I was about to increase preload to correct the negative camber, but the lift did fix my shock spring sag, so I was able to leave the preload at the softest measurement.
Tire wear indicates that I need a small increase in preload to even out the wear.
Before lift and preload at soft readings pic...

After lift and still at soft preload measurements with wear.

Reactions: Wolvie Hunter

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha Wolverine X2
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you please post a link to where you bought your limit straps? I want to look into these.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha Wolverine X2
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll be fabricating/installing custom mud flaps like yours before I got back to HMT next month too. I HATE mud!!! 🤣

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
I haven't purchased them yet.
You need 18" as shock length is 20", but need to allow for 1" stretch per foot.

Mud flaps are a must for sure ;)

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,795 Posts
I'll be fabricating/installing custom mud flaps like yours before I got back to HMT next month too. I HATE mud!!! 🤣
I think its safe to say event those who don't mind riding in some mud as its on route on the trail and tough to avoid some instances where they don't expect to get stuck. They don't want to be covered in it. Fender should control the bulk of all flying debris. Wider machines along with narror front body including the lack of a functioning fender its all wrong in the design. One video of a real wild KRX rider adding all option and over fenders since nothing came with it either but available fitting option was add. He too had enough.

It surprising the manufacturers think fenderless expensive machines are ok to market and sell.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha Wolverine X2
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It surprising the manufacturers think fenderless expensive machines are ok to market and sell.
It must about "fashion, and not function".

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,795 Posts
LOL I can't say I agree. Nice molded external attached fender can look good. Better than flaps appearing like Dumbo Wings on the side. If you know about Dumbo.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha Wolverine X2
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL I can't say I agree. Nice molded external attached fender can look good. Better than flaps appearing like Dumbo Wings on the side. If you know about Dumbo.
FYI-my 2016 Wolverine R-Spec came with overfenders all around, but they still weren't enough to block the spray especially with wider tires.

But-my 2019 Wolverine X2 R-Spec only came with overfenders on the front...I had to pay extra for the rear ones. I thought this was a poor business decision by Yamaha to weasel out the supplying the rear ones. They don't block the spray either. LOL.

Reactions: Navy

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,795 Posts
Yeah, same here on mine (2017 SE) came with them but not enough. I wided the rear but not quite enough, and should have be 2" beyond the fenders rather than 1 1/4". I live with it still fronts only work as long as I don't turn the wheel. If I do all hell come flying at me or by me. LOL

I stay away from water holes, mud stretch as best I can. But this time of the year a lot of drying is needed after the snow melted and frost still in the ground. New RMAX is much narrow front body and wheels out further as well as forward. Optimized to cover any driver. With a windshield you'll drive blind for sure after and encounter of slop.

·
Registered
2019 x4, 28 in bighorns, Hunterworks sheeve kit, perfex 2in lift, 2in rear and 1 in front spacers
20 Posts
I also installed a perfex lift on a 2019 x4 and have been happy with it. I set the rear on the 1.5 in setting also because of the cv heat concern. I haven't noticed any high temps in cv area. Also....seriously consider adding wheel spacers along with lift. I have 2 in on the rear and 1.0 in on the front with 28 in tires. The lift makes a top heavy machine even worse! I managed to dump mine on its side in rough terrain before i added spacers. Feels much better with spacers.

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
2,015 Posts
Lift it. I had the 2" Perfex lift on my X4. It was fantastic. Go for it and don't look back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am planning the same mod. Rocks are the premier hazard where I ride - nasty big buggers that can do a lot of damage. I am waiting for a warm-up here in Nova Scotia, and - for the Perfex kit to be restocked.....

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,795 Posts
Unarmor protection maybe required (aka Skid Plates UVM is better than metal). Height doesn't give you free clearance over everything. Just changes when and where you hit something hard.

A taller tire will give you a overall lift. Especially at the low end of the A arms. A lift kit raises the center only and not over pivoting the CV axle joints is a factor on what you do as well. 2" won't be an issue many have done it but more maybe. You'd need to be aware of this.

·
Registered
2021 X4 xtr
54 Posts
"It surprising the manufacturers think fenderless expensive machines are ok to market and sell."

Why wouldn't they? We keep buying these things like they are going out of style. No need to add more cost when customer will pay for it just as it is, and then spend more to make it what it should be.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,795 Posts
Well, would you by a sled without a windshield, car without fenders etc
Thing is they want two arms and a leg for a bit of plastic that should have come with the machine. At least my SE Build had them all be it not enough coverage. But without, you can drive these that way on trails. OMG I can't image not having some coverage.

If buyers insist on fender on there machines at the dealer. They'll have to ask for them, eventually Yamaha will have to at least make them for the machines. Demand drives what they make. Doesn't it? Should be on the Wish List to Yamaha. FENDERS and GOOD ONES!!

·
Registered
2021 X4 xtr
54 Posts
Well, would you by a sled without a windshield, car without fenders etc
Thing is they want two arms and a leg for a bit of plastic that should have come with the machine. At least my SE Build had them all be it not enough coverage. But without, you can drive these that way on trails. OMG I can't image not having some coverage.

If buyers insist on fender on there machines at the dealer. They'll have to ask for them, eventually Yamaha will have to at least make them for the machines. Demand drives what they make. Doesn't it? Should be on the Wish List to Yamaha. FENDERS and GOOD ONES!!
No, No and No. But people buy these without fenders all the time. That's my point. If we buy them as they are, what incentive do manufacturers have to add more to them? In my opinion they should come with windshields (front and rear) for the price they cost as well, but that isn't going to happen either unless the market drives the manufacturers to it.

Remember, These are just my opinions.

Jeff

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,795 Posts
I remember and I do agree but they can only skimp so much before. Enough is enough when they rape you to buy options as in Canada about 3X your price!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts