Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the Yamaha Big Horns that came on my Alpine white one when was new with the Original Big Horn 6-Plys. Has anyone put the Yamaha tires on a Grizzly? Wondering if they hold up there since way less weight (yes they are still 2-plys LOL) . Any Thoughts?

Doug:confused:

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
I put them on my 550 Grizzly the day I brought my Wolverine home. Wolverine received the Zillas from the Grizzly. The Grizzly is way lighter so they won't have much weight on them, but the rollover and punctures will still happen just the same if they are not inflated rock hard.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
I put them on my 550 Grizzly the day I brought my Wolverine home. Wolverine received the Zillas from the Grizzly. The Grizzly is way lighter so they won't have much weight on them, but the rollover and punctures will still happen just the same if they are not inflated rock hard.
Quite literally, I did the same exact thing. But then I drove the Wolverine on the Zillas and my first time out I tore a sidewall in the right rear. Soooo off they came and on went Balckwaters in 8ply lol. The Stock tires from the Wolverine held up great on the grizz, and would certainly be acceptable for a bike you don't ride as often as the wolverine. If you plan on doing much heavy or distance riding on the grizz, I would avoid putting the stock tires on it. My stock tires are sitting on a shelf at home, and are going to stay there until I build an offroad wagon lol.

·
Registered
395 Posts
They would probably be fine on the Grizz. I contacted Maxxis about the bighorn 2.0s and they said they don't recommend them on anything over 500cc.

Remember that ply isn't the actual number of ply but simply a rating on how much weight the tire can support. A 4 ply and 8 ply tire may have the same number of psychical ply while the 8 ply may have thicker ply or different, stiffer, better compound. They could also have a harder sidewall to help support the weight of the machine giving it a higher ply rating.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies. I have a set of Big Horn 2 on another 550 grizzly and they have held up fine for the type of riding we do. These seem a little lighter then the 2.0 (weight wise) which surprised me. Now I just have to find a set of Grizzly wheels with close to stock offsets LOL

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
thanks for the replies. I have a set of Big Horn 2 on another 550 grizzly and they have held up fine for the type of riding we do. These seem a little lighter then the 2.0 (weight wise) which surprised me. Now I just have to find a set of Grizzly wheels with close to stock offsets LOL
These ones are lighter, because they are not true BH 2.0's...they are specifically made for yamaha. If you need a set of wheels I have the stock ones from my wife's grizzly 550 I would sell u cheap. The expensive part would be shipping them.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the offer but since i plan to put on Grandsons 550, i will probably put something flashy for him. Make him think he got something lol. He will think it is 10 miles an hour faster just like a loud muffler (no i wont do that). The other 2 we have are special editions but those wheels are stupid expensive for what they are.

Do you think theses are thinner / lighter than the Yamaha oem on a 550 grizzly (maxis too but regular pattern). I would think they are heavier than those?

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
thanks for the offer but since i plan to put on Grandsons 550, i will probably put something flashy for him. Make him think he got something lol. He will think it is 10 miles an hour faster just like a loud muffler (no i wont do that). The other 2 we have are special editions but those wheels are stupid expensive for what they are.

Do you think theses are thinner / lighter than the Yamaha oem on a 550 grizzly (maxis too but regular pattern). I would think they are heavier than those?
Oh no I didn't mean for it to sound like that. The OEM wolverine ones should most definitely be heavier than the OEM grizzly ones. If you choice is stock grizz vs stock wolvy, choose stock wolvy. I don't know off the top of my head what the ply rating is on the stock grizz, but I can check tonight when I get home.

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts

Are you planning on swapping just the tires, or the tires and wheels? Swapping the tires is not an issue, however the he wheels are different between the Wolvy and Grizz, the studs are a different size. As far as the factory Grizzly wheels, EPS models came with aluminum wheels (2015 and older), non EPS models came with steel wheels, use a magnet to check them out.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just the tires, I have to buy some wheels or put them on the stock aluminum wheels (plain Jane 2014 eps 550) on Grizzly. Just do not want to widen out much.

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
Aftermarket wheels will widen it 1", they say they have the same back spacing, but that is not the truth.

·
July WOTM Winner!
207 Posts
Hiya fellow wolvers,

Tires, I'm at a loss on which to get. Don't want the high cost of OG BH ( on my bros rzr.. Goes thru more than the rest of us ) or EVO,s but will if that's the best outta the others that I mention below or if any others that you peeps suggest. These stock ones are just overwelmed with most mud holes/ditch or wet hillside
North we see most all terrains ... These 2 are most common sandy/rocky or swampy ..... To some it up. Need smooth ride on trails but still pull thru most mud I may encounter when I'm looking for a ditch or hill to climb.

Options:
Thinking 27" - 28"
Itp mudlites xtr. Buddy just put on his mav .... Looks like they will do well ... He also had BH 2.0
Interco mud light .... I'm leaning towards at this time
Outback
Gbc grim reaper
Dirt commander ..... On my buddy's general. ... Seem better than mine but I'm not sold that will satisfy what I want to go thru

Any other suggestions are welcome.... I'm thinking of doing the HW setup and wheels tires during the winter plus maybe a 2" lift. All depends how much I win at our once a month poker tourneys ..... Wife don't see that $$$$. Hehe

·
Registered
718 Posts
Hiya fellow wolvers,

Tires, I'm at a loss on which to get. Don't want the high cost of OG BH ( on my bros rzr.. Goes thru more than the rest of us ) or EVO,s but will if that's the best outta the others that I mention below or if any others that you peeps suggest. These stock ones are just overwelmed with most mud holes/ditch or wet hillside
North we see most all terrains ... These 2 are most common sandy/rocky or swampy ..... To some it up. Need smooth ride on trails but still pull thru most mud I may encounter when I'm looking for a ditch or hill to climb.

Options:
Thinking 27" - 28"
Itp mudlites xtr. Buddy just put on his mav .... Looks like they will do well ... He also had BH 2.0
Interco mud light .... I'm leaning towards at this time
Outback
Gbc grim reaper
Dirt commander ..... On my buddy's general. ... Seem better than mine but I'm not sold that will satisfy what I want to go thru

Any other suggestions are welcome.... I'm thinking of doing the HW setup and wheels tires during the winter plus maybe a 2" lift. All depends how much I win at our once a month poker tourneys ..... Wife don't see that $$$$. Hehe

My dad has the XTRs on his rhino, and I wouldn't recommend them if you do a lot of road or really hard pack riding on them, they wear out pretty fast of you're not in the mud and slop.

Reactions: Dozer370

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
I have personal experience with the Mudlite XTR's and Zillas. The XTR's are extremely heavy power robbers, but they do ride nice being a radial with a flat wide footprint. I've been running Zillas ever since on two Grizzly's and now the Wolverine, very lite weight and great traction....a little bumpy at slow speeds.

Reactions: Dozer370
1 - 14 of 14 Posts