Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I'm new here and have had my Wolverine a little over a month. I love this machine! I've read a lot about wheels and tires and I'm not trying to beat a dead horse but seems I can't find the answer I'm looking for when I buy some whhels and tires. First what's up with the different wheel offsets? I understand what the offset is, but is there an advantage between a 4-3 or 5-2 or an even offset? And with the tires, I live in middle Tn by the Tennessee river and have about every riding condition there is. Is there that big of an advantage between a 6 ply and 8 ply tire? And it seems that everyone has their own opinion on tread design and performance. I need a good tire that will get me where I want to go and not worry about getting stranded. Any help would be great. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
There is no right answer to that question. It's all a matter of opinion. I will say that an 8 ply tire will resist puncture better than a 6 ply.

·
Registered
211 Posts
From what I have read on this forum... If you don't want to get stranded way back in the woods, get tires other than the stock Bighorn's that come on it.
As far as that offset, the big difference you need to worry about is that it is making a wide machine already wider. Stock, the machine is about 61" wide. You change the offset to a wider foot and add some tires that have an aggressive tread and are a higher ply,
then all of a sudden you are 65"-66" wide. May not be a big deal for your trailer, but could be if you ride where you have to wiggle between trees. You can search the wheel and tire threads here and see the difference between stock big Horn and OG Bighorn that are the same size.

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
Most if not all stock tires leave alot to be desired. Big Horns are a great tire, just not the "special" ones that the factory puts on. Just about any aftermarket tire will be an improvement, but talk to locals in your area to see what works and what doesn't. We all drive in different terrain and what works for me might not work for you. For me tire weight is a big factor, I once had ITP Mudlite XTR's that had good traction and gave a great ride but the tire weight killed my low end power. I was having to use 4 low to cross just about any puddle or stream. I switched to Zilla's in the exact same size and instantly had improved power and performance while giving up the smooth ride of the XTR's at slow speeds.

As far as offset, I don't like tires that stick out and fling mud and water everywhere, but that's just my opinion after many years of ATV riding.

·
Registered
113 Posts
As said,tire pattern is a matter of opinion & depends what you are going to do,ride mud,trails,rocks.Tire offset is how far in&out the wheels are in relation to the fenderwell.The farther in you go,you must be concerned with if the tire&wheel will make contact with any suspension or plastic part,the good is the machine has less width for tight trails,more fenderwell coverage,so less mud on the sides of the machine & you.The farther out than stock,you push the wheels&tires,the less fenderwell coverage you have,so more mud on the side of the machine & you,and is bad for your bearings.The stock tires are very low ply,very prone to punctures,but the 8ply tires are much heavier,so there is some power loss.It is a very good thing to carry a spare,or atleast a patch&plug kit and a 12v compressor.

·
Banned
420 Posts
Original Big Horns are hard to beat.

·
Banned
420 Posts
I currently still have the stock tires. When I do replace them I will get 27s. I ran 26 Bighorns on my Rhino. They wear very well and work very good in most all conditions. For me they worked well.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I currently still have the stock tires. When I do replace them I will get 27s. I ran 26 Bighorns on my Rhino. They wear very well and work very good in most all conditions. For me they worked well.
Thanks ! That's my thinking go with 27" Bighorn , I ran ITP terracross on one of my Rhinos , was not impressed with the life of them and they are a copy of Bighorn , so I figure I will go with the original "best" ! Just hoping someone will come across with details on the 27s!

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
After a lot of research, think my next set with be 27" VIPR's. The mayhems have been pretty dang good and have taken a beating. Just not smooth on trails as I like.. can tell it's a mud tire for sure. Also, at high speeds they wobble.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Thanks ! That's my thinking go with 27" Bighorn , I ran ITP terracross on one of my Rhinos , was not impressed with the life of them and they are a copy of Bighorn , so I figure I will go with the original "best" ! Just hoping someone will come across with details on the 27s!
How was the traction on the Terracrosses?
Were your Terracrosses the newer XD's? They say they have an extra sidewall ply and tougher rubber compound than the earlier tires.
I dont mind giving up some tire longevity because of softer compound (better traction), but obviously there is a point that the trade off isnt worth it.

·
Banned
420 Posts
Deeyoh what would you say are the pros/cons on the Vipers vs. Bighorns ? I have considered Vipers but just really liked the Big horns.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Another tire worth looking at is ITP Blackwater Evolutions. I've got about 500 miles on a set and like them.Great traction and are wearing good.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
From what I've gathered the VIPR's clean out a bit better than the bighorns. Since it gets a bit muddy here that'll be a good thing. Just looking for a more trail friendly tire for the wife when she's driving. I don't mind the Mega's though and they do well in mud for sure.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
I like the Spartacus I have on my Vinson (looks kinda like the Viprs) some guys dont like directionals they feel like there is a lack of traction in reverse also with a nondirectional tire they can rotate side to side since tires usually round off the front edge of the knobs first. I have never owned Big Horns, but hear that they are fairly hard compound (long lasting) and that make me wonder about their traction on slickrock. Any experience????

·
Registered
93 Posts
How was the traction on the Terracrosses?
Were your Terracrosses the newer XD's? They say they have an extra sidewall ply and tougher rubber compound than the earlier tires.
I dont mind giving up some tire longevity because of softer compound (better traction), but obviously there is a point that the trade off isnt worth it.
Traction was good , punctured side of one of them but yes they wear ou fast. Bought a set of Bearclaw radials for other one for like 280 at the time and they were a better tire than Terracross, traction was as good and longevity better and never a flat ! And ride was close to as smooth !

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Deeyoh what would you say are the pros/cons on the Vipers vs. Bighorns ? I have considered Vipers but just really liked the Big horns.
I think both Chief and Baknthsdle have Viprs on theirs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've been running the VIPR's all summer and really like them their a tough tire but still have a nice smooth soft ride.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Blackwater evos are great. I love the Roctane by STI.

OG Bighorns are also great all around. Older technology, but they are the Sure SM-57 of ATV tires. Great basic tire that everyone has, not too expensive, great in all conditions, decent puncture resistance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts