Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, recently bought a 2016 r spec been doing some trail riding, great machine. Last week i was on a very rocky trail and i got a flat on my front right tire. OEM front is 26x8-12 Maxxis Bighorn. My issue is I went to order a replacement tire and the 26x8 is nowhere to be found, I can only find a 26x9. Do I just have to order 2 26x9's now? Any input would help, thanks.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hey guys, recently bought a 2016 r spec been doing some trail riding, great machine. Last week i was on a very rocky trail and i got a flat on my front right tire. OEM front is 26x8-12 Maxxis Bighorn. My issue is I went to order a replacement tire and the 26x8 is nowhere to be found, I can only find a 26x9. Do I just have to order 2 26x9's now? Any input would help, thanks.
Welcome.

If budget permits, replace all of your tires. You will prevent lots of headaches in the future as the BigHorn 2.0s are not meant for anything more than easy parade riding in the dirt.

The OEM Big Horn 2.0s are a very light duty tire. I have had 3 machines that come with that tire and they are VERY prone to puncture.

Depending on the kinds of riding you do, there are some great options. I run 26x9 front and 26x11 out back. Like you are finding out, those are an easier size to find.

Original BigHorn (not the 2.0s like you have) are a great all around tire. I run the STI Roctanes as they are invincible! I also like the Sedona Rip Saw if you dont do much hard packed trail riding.

Rocky terrain/some mud: STI Roctane, ITP BlackWater EVO, origional Bighorn,
Hard packed/some mud: Big Horn originals (OG), ITP Mud Lite.
Mud/loose packed: OG BigHorns, Sedona Rip Saw.

A lot of good tire choices out there. I am just listing the ones I have had good experience with.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Do what I did and replace them with 6 ply original Bighorns. Yamaha advertises the stock tires as "specially constructed" or something like that. That's just fancy speak for a cheap stock 2/4 ply tire with the Bighorn 2.0 tread pattern. I got wheels too and kept my stocks and carry one for an emergency situation.

Reactions: Rockit401

·
Registered
395 Posts
Do what I did and replace them with 6 ply original Bighorns. Yamaha advertises the stock tires as "specially constructed" or something like that. That's just fancy speak for a cheap stock 2/4 ply tire with the Bighorn 2.0 tread pattern. I got wheels too and kept my stocks and carry one for an emergency situation.
I do this too, with the spare, but if I pop an 8 ply the bighorn 2.0 spare wont stand a chance :). Probably going to get a better spare.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I do this too, with the spare, but if I pop an 8 ply the bighorn 2.0 spare wont stand a chance :). Probably going to get a better spare.
I thought the same thing, but I just hope I can get back to the truck if I have to use the 2 ply....

·
Registered
113 Posts
The 26x8 tire is a special Yamaha size,has to be ordered through a dealer only.If you want to run run the oem low ply tires,would suggest installing Quadboss 0849 sealant in them.

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
From my years on ATV's, any after market tire is better than stock. Stock tires are always undersized, lightweight, puncture prone tires that ride nice....and they make the speedometer read faster so you think your flying.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My Grizzly has 26 OG BigHorns on 14" MSA M12's that will be going on the Wolverine in the spring and the BigHorn 2.0 will be going on the Grizzly as it doesn't get as many miles put on.
As for winter, it's tracks all the way, especially if we get the same kind of winter we had last year.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Can you run 28's on a wolverine without doing a lift?
Yeah, there are a lot of guys on here running them. Check the Wheel and Tire picture thread on the Wheel/Tire board and you can see some good setups that people have shared.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts