Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else having tire puncture problems? I have a 2018 X4 with 1700 miles on it. Stock LR tire I've punctured 5 times with sticks over 800 miles! HAHA! I still have to laugh. So I bought 8 ply Tusk Trilobite rear tires since front tires never took a puncture and were still in good shape at the time. Had about 800 miles on them when I replaced the rears. LR trilobite took a puncture in Nevada about 400 miles ago so I plugged it on the trail and it's been fine and held air good for the last 400 miles. I'm planning a trip back to Nevada and decided to buy 4 new GBC Kanati Mongrels 10 PLY. First trip out, 8.3 miles on the tires and puncture LR with a piece of wood 1/4" in diameter and 2" long. Took 3 plugs to get me through the day. By the time I got home tire was low on air. So I ordered a new tire today because I highly doubt they are going to warranty the tire for a puncture. Anybody else having issues with tire punctures from trail riding?

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha RMAX 2 XT-R 1000
1,299 Posts
LOL, never had ONE, even through sharp rock, sticks, logs, etc. Some people are just haunted with punctures I think. I usually carry a spare, maybe that's why I never needed it. Don't have one yet for the Rmax, don't jinx me! 10 ply tires must ride like stone. maybe you need these:

Or these:

Reactions: Mad Dog_037

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,490 Posts
The Ply rating is just that. As I was told. Its the resistance to puncturing. Nothing more and will never be actually 10 ply. Thing is also the sidewall and thread areas are totally different.

If you carry a spare odd are you'll need it. Carry a lug wrench as well so the changing is easy.

Reactions: Mad Dog_037

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL, never had ONE, even through sharp rock, sticks, logs, etc. Some people are just haunted with punctures I think. I usually carry a spare, maybe that's why I never needed it. Don't have one yet for the Rmax, don't jinx me! 10 ply tires must ride like stone. maybe you need these:

Or these:

Haha yeah. Over 20 years with ATV's and never had a puncture. I buy this Wolverine and LR has had 7 in 1700 miles of riding.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Reactions: Paul65 and Doc T

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,490 Posts
What tires?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What tires?
GBC Kanati Mongrels. I love the tires on dirt and hard pack. So much better than the Bighorns that were on it. And they ride nice at 16 PSI. A lot quieter also than bighorns

·
Registered
874 Posts
I rode a lot of desert in Az with no punctures . The only prob was I had to plug a tire on the rental car that was only on the road.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,490 Posts
GBC Kanati Mongrels. I love the tires on dirt and hard pack. So much better than the Bighorns that were on it. And they ride nice at 16 PSI. A lot quieter also than bighorns
Well if a small rock can poke through the carcass between the threads its got to be thin as well. Likely why 16 psi is still good riding. They're so soft and what I call balloon tires.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I've not had a puncture on either SxS or the ATV...yet...

My last truck had more tire plugs on the road than I did actual tread!!! 😂

1 - 10 of 10 Posts