Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Full write up to follow when I get home from this trip to muddy bottoms. I wish I'd have taken more pictures of the things I went thru.

But for now, I'll just leave these here.!

215-albums9-picture385.jpg

215-albums9-picture386.jpg

·
Registered
718 Posts
Looks like you had fun. It's looking like it might be a couple more weeks till I get to put mine to a good test.

Reactions: EpicWolverine

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ok, I finally have a few minutes to write my experiences after finally taking out the wolverine for the first real ride.

Destination: muddy bottoms atv park

Thoughts:
Amazing!!!

First thing I did, day one was replace the big horn 2.0, they just don't grip, not even a little bit. They were replaced with the 28in mud lite's from my grizzly. 5 days later the wolverine has been baptised in the depths of muddy hell and risen from the ashes, shining like a diamond.

I faced foamy mud, soupy mud, thick sticky mud , down trees, and water above the wheels and the wolverine traversed it all. I managed to only get stuck twice, both by high centering in ruts left by other custom side by sides.

I never thought this thing would be able to go through as much as it did, I'm truly amazed. The confidence this machine inspires is nothing short of incredible. I took it up a muddy slope I'm sure was a 60 degree incline, diff lock, low, and pedal to the floor..... :)
I'd have never even attempted that on my grizzly, especially with a passenger.

We crossed a hard bottom swamp to get thru a section of trail. I was nervous because it was deep due to the massive rain storms we've been having, I'm talking the atv with us were water wheeling in it deep. 4wd low and water flowing over the lower portion off the hood like the bow of a ship and through it we went. We pulled out the swamp on the opposite bank that was a soft foamy, fluffy but thick mud where a couple sat and watched my group crossing. They immediately asked one of the club members what the side by side was, his reply "the yamaha wolverine, it's like yamaha's version of the rzr".

I could not be more happy with my purchase at this point, In all honesty if you told me I could go out and get any side by side I wanted, the wolverine would be my choice.

The other side by side we took, a polaris ranger xp900 on 28in terminator tires, broke an axle, busted the axle seal on the same side and lost a brake pad..the brake pad I'm sure was due to my friend not tightening them back the night before we left after replacing the broken axle on the opposite side. Smh

So my final thoughts:
Thank you yamaha for the steel skid plates! They make it a lot less scary crossing down trees that you know are going to hit the chassis.

Fender flares are a must and should have been included!

More than enough power to get the job done in harsh swamp conditions (with the right tires)

Ride quality it's second to none.

Needs a lift, to increase ground clearance. Once you add a cooler, tools, people and lots mud you lose about 2in of ground clearance.

Feel free to ask questions if you have any I put over 100 miles on it this weekend, hard Louisiana mud and trail riding.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Did it have plenty of power when you were in deep mud and water and all that? Did it ever lack power? I've got one but haven't had a chance to ride it much due to work and never ending rain.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Did it have plenty of power when you were in deep mud and water and all that? Did it ever lack power? I've got one but haven't had a chance to ride it much due to work and never ending rain.
The power was great, being the modder that I am I'll probably add exhaust and sheave etc. But I really don't think I need it. I'm at sea level so I get full power from the engine.

In the thicker mud I gassed it to stay on top of it, same technique a rzr 1k or maverick would use. In the water and other types of mud, I didn't feel I needed more power. I attacked it in low and 4wd or diff lock.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chief I see your from Louisiana too. Are you leaving the big horn 2.0 on, or going with something a little more Louisiana appropriate..lol

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'll probably hold onto them for a good while as I just mostly ride on the deer lease and hunt out of it. But I've been reading where some have said that they are pretty light weight, 2 ply I think.. if they go to giving me problems I will change them quick. I'm thinking they should hold up okay for what I'm gonna do with it, but we will see. What are some good tires that I can put on it and keep the stock wheels?? If I get new tires I probably wont get really tall tires... maybe 28".

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I like the wheel and tire combo you got there looks niicee. What kinda wheels are those?
Thanks the wheels are 14in MSA Kore. I had them custom powder coated. They strip the flat black color, then powder coated them chrome, second coat is candy translucent lime green, 3rd coat is a clear coat with uv protection.

In Sun light of you look at them they have depth like candy paint. Tires are itp mud lite XL.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tires ever rub when loaded down? Also did you Crack down the preload on the shocks any?
No they don't rub, they aren't even close to rubbing, you can fit 29in, maybe even 29.5in tires without rubbing. Spring preload is factory, I haven't adjusted anything. I want to get the tool to add preload, only because it drops a bit when loaded with passengers and coolers.. But that's to be expected.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll probably hold onto them for a good while as I just mostly ride on the deer lease and hunt out of it. But I've been reading where some have said that they are pretty light weight, 2 ply I think.. if they go to giving me problems I will change them quick. I'm thinking they should hold up okay for what I'm gonna do with it, but we will see. What are some good tires that I can put on it and keep the stock wheels?? If I get new tires I probably wont get really tall tires... maybe 28".
Mud lite, sti outback.. Both good tires, not super expensive, and work well on hard pack and slop. Both can also be bought in versions for 12in wheels

·
Registered
37 Posts
Any suggestions on a good 27" BA lookin tire to run? I've had mud lite xls but I've been looking at mud trax and mega mayhems. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Any suggestions on a good 27" BA lookin tire to run? I've had mud lite xls but I've been looking at mud trax and mega mayhems. Any thoughts?
I know the mud lite work, the sti outback also come in 27in also.. Both will give you a smooth ride and traction in mud or on hard pack.

With all that said I'd run an aggressive 27 because they aren't super heavy like an aggressive 29.5 our 30in I know people that run mega Meyham tires and they say the ride is decent.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts