Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did the 20 h service to day. And filling the rear diff was a pain in the ass. Really they could have installed a bigger fill plug, like the front has? But I also have a question , I filled the diffs to the top Until oil started pouring out. Will I need to check them after running a few miles "air pockets ECT ".

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Reactions: zs700 and Deeyoh

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Haaaa hell!! Iv got one of those also for my boat outdrive. But I was to stupid to think about it. Lol. Prolly because I leave it in the boat ,,Hay thanks guys. And happy boating to all that have boats. I'll use it next Time. Trail cutter those grease fittings are such a pita. We got to find 300 pounds of crap to put in the back to grease the fittings. Lol, But at least we got a wolvi. If these are the worst we got deal with. It's a whole lot better than dealing with can am or Polaris junk. Lol!!������

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
Yep...filling the dif was a pain in the rear for sure. I stuck a piece of fuel line the flared cap of my shell spirax bottle, and a 1/8"npt brass pipe nipple in the other end of the hose. Stuck the nipple in the diff fill hole and squeezed the bottle. It worked, done it this way on multiple machines, but it's still a PITA. Next time I think I will buy a pump ahead of time lol.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea. The bottle pump will fix this little issue. Hehe

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
So you have to fill the front and rear diff until it leaks out? There isn't a predetermined amount...
Well yes, and no. Yes you fill it to the brim of the threaded hole, but there IS a predetermined amount. Page 8-21 in the owners manual lists .68qt for the rear, and the following page lists .19qt for the front.

It is actually quite standard practice for gearboxes, differentials, transmissions, etc, to "fill it till ya spill it".

EDIT:
To elaborate a bit more, most gear boxes will have some method of venting the chamber to atmosphere without letting contamination in. ON a brush hog for example, they usually use a vented fill cap/dipstick combo. Some just use a brass filtered plug. On our rear differential, they use a hose routed up into the frame above the level that water would submerge it. If you happen to find a way to voerfill the differential or gear box, the worst that will usually happen is it will puke out the breather when it gets hot. It will actually purge itself pretty close to the required amount. Now, there is technically still a possibility that the oil can start to foam if overfilled, and that would of course hinder it's cooling and lubricating properties, because air would be getting trapped in it. Either way, you are same 9 times out of 10 to just fill it till it spills out the threads.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
Is the front diff not fill till it comes out the fill hole and the rear diff has a check hole below the fill hole ?
Both are fill to brim, but the rear fill hole is actually the lower of the two bolts, not the upper. When I filled mine I filled with the upper, using the lower as the check hole.

See Owners manual screenshots below:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok. Thank you mod fordtruckMan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.