Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have been lurking on here for a couple months now. I have a Maverick XXC right now, and I am thinking about going to a Wolverine or Honda P1000. Our main riding areas are Wellsville(in Ohio) and Hatfield McCoy. We use to focus on riding from point A to point B has fast has possible. Now we like to take it a little slower and I am tired of wrenching on my machine after every ride. I think the wolverine would my needs perfect. Does anyone here have any experience coming from a Maverick or rode a P1000 to make any comparisons? Thanks for any help.

·
Vendor
771 Posts
No honda experience but I would not even put it in the same catorgory as a wolverine, more of a ranger work unit. I think the only thing it could do is haul more in the bed and you don't want to be repairing that auto tranny when the warranty goes out

I had a Maverick, never liked it but depending on what you want the Wolverine for it would do the slow way better no belt slippage but for sure no where near the power of the Maverick

So it all depends on what you want it for I guess

Todd

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I have never owned a maverick,but have just over 3000 miles on my wolverine and have had no major issues,it does everything that I want it to do and is very comfortable.the Honda pioneer 1000 has more seating capacity and power,and probably can't go wrong with it depending on your needs.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am just trail riding with it and driving it around the farm. We ride at a good pace, but nothing like the way we use to ride. Mainly concerned with comfort and reliability, while still having a little excitement factor. Between my dad and I, we have 5 tractors, so I am not really interested in doing any real "work" with it. Thanks for the input guys.

·
Vendor
771 Posts
I am just trail riding with it and driving it around the farm. We ride at a good pace, but nothing like the way we use to ride. Mainly concerned with comfort and reliability, while still having a little excitement factor. Between my dad and I, we have 5 tractors, so I am not really interested in doing any real "work" with it. Thanks for the input guys.
The Wolverine hands down

Love mine, normally we buy vehicles do what we are going to do with them, sell them and move to the next. Not this time, keeping this one

·
Registered
200 Posts
I waited for a couple of years be fore I switched to a side x side. Needed a machine that I could use around my farm hunt with and then head to the Rocky Mountains and trail ride. Wolverine fit that bill. I have a friend with a hot rod Maverick and he rode my Wolvy in Colorado..... His is for Sale now.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
since quality is # 1 for me, I had no issue from moving from the 1,000 canam commander to the wolverine. the power of the 1k rotax is nice but the need to work on the machine all the time is not worth it to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
since quality is # 1 for me, I had no issue from moving from the 1,000 canam commander to the wolverine. the power of the 1k rotax is nice but the need to work on the machine all the time is not worth it to me.
Hello Muddy, I have a commander 1000 and am interested in the wolverine. I wanted to ask you how is the wolverine on noise, heat, power and suspension in comparison. I figured since you came from a commander you'd have a good take on that specifically.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I can not speak for a Maverick but I can speak for a A outlander 500l I purchased one 2 weeks ago this past Wednesday , the first time I brought the machine up to 35 mph after putting around for 2hrs breaking it in the rear Diff howled like a lone wolf. I took it back to the dealer where they first told me that it was normal . After a test ride they agreed it was something wrong. After 5 days they could not tell me if it was warranty or not . After 10 days they could not tell me when a new diff would arrive. on day 14 I was sitting at the dealer I negotiated ( not demanded)my money back on the bike with my buying another bike . This is how I came to own a Wolvr . I bought the Can-Am for the 5yr warranty, man what a let down. My dealer treated me fair and in all honesty steered me towards the Wolvr . I realize that high performance normally means some wrench time but at 46 years of age I am more interested in reliability and Yamaha has it based on my experience. .. oh and this thing rides soooo good.

·
Registered
395 Posts
When I went from ATVs to side by sides, I jumped from an outlander to a commander then to a Maverick. The maverick was a blast and had the wow factor. That's for sure. For the trails we ride, Hatfield McCoy and some private land in southern Ohio, the Maverick certainly did what I needed it to do but I think it was sacrificing comfort and reliability for sheer balls to the wall speed. It was better suited for the dunes. While the Wolverine is not nearly as fast as the Maverick, it is WAY better suited for trails. The 4x4 system is far superior to CanAms Visco Lock. The Wolverine also has a diff locker. The CVT is the best in the business and you have Yamaha reliability. Every CanAm I have had has run on the hot side. The Wolverine is a simple, well thought out machine that will go anywhere as long as you don't care that people don't take a second glance at it because it looks like a golf cart :).

Also, the seating position on the Wolverine is fantastic and its easier to get in and out of. The wolverine has gone every place I have pointed it and it is a lot more comfortable than the Mav. Only down side is racing the guy in our group with the RZR 1000 is no longer an option :)
IMG_0561.JPG
IMG_3008.JPG

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Hello Muddy, I have a commander 1000 and am interested in the wolverine. I wanted to ask you how is the wolverine on noise, heat, power and suspension in comparison. I figured since you came from a commander you'd have a good take on that specifically.
no comparison. the commander runs way warmer it appears, and the heat comes right into the cab for a miserable ride in warm weather. the commander is also noisier and that noise also enters the cab due to engine and trans placement. wolverine is way cooler in the cab on warm days. the wolverine also rides better than the commander. tough rugged trails the wolverine shines bright as well compared to the canam.

power? the commander wins hands down.top speed as well. you will save some time riding the commander as you can be at your destination quicker if that is important to you. returning the machine to the dealer for warranty work or the expense out of your pocket after the warranty expires wastes a lot more time, both on your time wasted getting the machine to the dealer and your time earning extra dollars to pay the bill.

piece of mind and pride of ownership factors make it much more enjoyable owning the wolverine. im happy I ditched the commander for the wolverine.

I also was a former teryx owner. same thing! the kaw is not the rig the wolverine is.

·
Registered
395 Posts
no comparison. the commander runs way warmer it appears, and the heat comes right into the cab for a miserable ride in warm weather. the commander is also noisier and that noise also enters the cab due to engine and trans placement. wolverine is way cooler in the cab on warm days. the wolverine also rides better than the commander. tough rugged trails the wolverine shines bright as well compared to the canam.

power? the commander wins hands down.top speed as well. you will save some time riding the commander as you can be at your destination quicker if that is important to you. returning the machine to the dealer for warranty work or the expense out of your pocket after the warranty expires wastes a lot more time, both on your time wasted getting the machine to the dealer and your time earning extra dollars to pay the bill.

piece of mind and pride of ownership factors make it much more enjoyable owning the wolverine. im happy I ditched the commander for the wolverine.

I also was a former teryx owner. same thing! the kaw is not the rig the wolverine is.
I agree with this as well. I had a commander 800 before the Maverick. The suspension on it, with the dual rear swing arms, was not optimal. Not at all. In any kind of rocky fast terrain, I bottomed out A LOT. Speed, no contest. The commander 800 is a fast machine. That Rotax motor they use is fantastic. As for running warmer? Definately. Every CanAm I have had, I always kept a eye on the temp gauge just waiting for it to go into limp mode.

The wolverine doesnt look super sporty, but the suspension is very similar to that of a RZR 800 S. I am sold on this thing.

RZR 800

Yammy

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree 100% with the comments about the maverick. That's the reason I want to get rid of mine. It's hot, loud, and not really that comfortable. It is fun to rip around fast on certain trails, but the other 95% of the day, it just beats you up. My wife and I also ride alone a lot now, and I am always worried about the belt. Thanks for all the reply's. I am close to pulling the trigger on one.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I agree 100% with the comments about the maverick. That's the reason I want to get rid of mine. It's hot, loud, and not really that comfortable. It is fun to rip around fast on certain trails, but the other 95% of the day, it just beats you up. My wife and I also ride alone a lot now, and I am always worried about the belt. Thanks for all the reply's. I am close to pulling the trigger on one.
I have never looked back. What is also refreshing is you don't get that CVT clutch sound when you hit the gas. All the CamAms I have had go WHACK! when you hit the gas. Yamahas dont do that.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts

Thanks for the reply Muddy, I have a commander, sounds like you have had lots of issues with yours. Only thing I lost was a fuel pump but that's what gets me with the thing. The heat from the engine warmed up the fuel tank so bad that it fried the pump, also its a pain to work on and its that kind of poor engineering that gets to me. Sounds like if I go with the Yamaha I won't miss the can am much, but have any of you guys seen the new polaris general yet?

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
Sounds like if I go with the Yamaha I won't miss the can am much, but have any of you guys seen the new polaris general yet?
Wolverines come with a 2" receiver hitch, we should see a general being towed soon enough!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Wolverines come with a 2" receiver hitch, we should see a general being towed soon enough!
Polaris general looks like a good option for people that want the utility of a Ranger but still want the sport of a RZR. Those polaris 1000s are gigantic. The wolverine, while larger than the rhino, is small, tight and super nimble. My favorite feature is the tree bump guards in from of the rear tire. No more getting the rear end hung up on a tree.

The only reasons I have a Yamaha is 1) Reliability history 2) Ultramatic 3) Comfort. It has the comfort of an E-Z-GO with the capability of a sport machine.

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
The only reasons I have a Yamaha is 1) Reliability history 2) Ultramatic 3) Comfort. It has the comfort of an E-Z-GO with the capability of a sport machine.
That is why I will be picking mine up in the spring also. My Grizzly's have been all three of those, and also a great outlet for me to venture all over Alaska's back country and get away from daily work stress. There's nothing better for me than camping, enjoying cocktails around a camp fire, and riding ATV's in places most folks never see.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I wouldn't buy the Honda. Who would want a 77 hp African twin motor with a 6 speed DCT that has a low range, turf mode, paddle shifters, adjustable steering wheel? It only goes 65 and can only carry 1000lbs in the bed and only tow 2000lbs. Who wants to carry 3 or 5 people anyway? Get the Wolverine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wouldn't buy the Honda. Who would want a 77 hp African twin motor with a 6 speed DCT that has a low range, turf mode, paddle shifters, adjustable steering wheel? It only goes 65 and can only carry 1000lbs in the bed and only tow 2000lbs. Who wants to carry 3 or 5 people anyway? Get the Wolverine.
That's a constructive comment. Do you have any experience on the Honda? Could care less about carrying any more than one other person, turf mode, going 65 mph, carrying any weight more than trail gear. The other things sound good. I am sure it rides great too with its fully adjustable shocks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts