Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been following these guys for a while because they mostly do extreme trails and break a lot of stuff. In this video they have a 2 and 4 seater RMAX join in for their subscriber ride at Rush Offroad in Ky. Rush is notoriously rough and rowdy and I think this series will be fun to watch. Enjoy.
RMAX's at Rush

· Registered
335 Posts
Can Am Crew is no joke!
I follow them as well. They are incredibly talented drivers and their machines are well suited to the style of riding they do.

· Rock Crawler
3,953 Posts
One of the more impressive vids of seen of the true power of Roxzillas

· Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, it would have been nice to see one of them on 'Zilla's but both did pretty good with the tires they had. It appears even Jesse was impressed with their capabilities. I just hope the subsequent segments include the Yamaha's.

· Registered
2021 Canned Ham Maverick Sport Max 1000r
908 Posts
man those rmax's just walked all over those rocks with zero issues. however you could also tell the difference between experienced drivers and not so experienced drivers. the leader was doing everything one handed while holding a camera lol

· Registered
335 Posts
True! I have been pricing XTR 370s but the Zillas did shine there.

Reactions: Old man and Budro2

· Rock Crawler
3,953 Posts
Both certainly have their strong points.

Reactions: Old man and DLX2

· Registered
2,086 Posts
I've been watching their stuff for awhile, we ride a lot of the same places. That one really shows how well a Roxxzilla sticky does on our wet muddy east coast rocks. The only thing close is maybe a 370.

I just put a set of 35's on the KRX last week. I had cut sidewall I didn't trust anymore and a tire shop along the trail had a smoking deal on the Roxxzilla's. They are pretty amazing but I dont think I would recommend them for an only tire. I'm going to keep running the ITP Versacross anywhere the sticky wont help.

There is a set of the 808's that Budro runs going on the Rmax next week to see how they do. If figured if he likes them they are worth a try. We are hoping the very flat tread along with going to 4+4 wheels with help with stability.

· Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went with the 32 inch 370's, they seemed to be a better fit for my terrain. We don't do a lot of slick rock around here and the 'Zilla stickies don't fair well on hardtop or clean out our clay-mud as good as the XTR's. I'll probably go with standard compound Roxxzillas when I wear out the 370's just to try something different. But for my purposes, the 370's do a great job... your mileage will vary.

· Rock Crawler
3,953 Posts
I've been watching their stuff for awhile, we ride a lot of the same places. That one really shows how well a Roxxzilla sticky does on our wet muddy east coast rocks. The only thing close is maybe a 370.

I just put a set of 35's on the KRX last week. I had cut sidewall I didn't trust anymore and a tire shop along the trail had a smoking deal on the Roxxzilla's. They are pretty amazing but I dont think I would recommend them for an only tire. I'm going to keep running the ITP Versacross anywhere the sticky wont help.

There is a set of the 808's that Budro runs going on the Rmax next week to see how they do. If figured if he likes them they are worth a try. We are hoping the very flat tread along with going to 4+4 wheels with help with stability.

Ober has a new tire slightly cheaper than Roxzilla but almost a twin in appearance. It’s getting great reviews on slick rock. Not sure if it’s any better but probably comparable.
808s are great but still won’t stick like Zillas. Just a lot less money.

People should run 2 tire wheel set ups. Save them stickies just for the rides they are great on, then take em off and use an all around tire like you suggested.

· Registered
2,086 Posts
I ran Maxxis Creepy Crawler stickies (762 compound IIRC) on my Zuk and they worked better than everything else I have run in everything. I wanted to give the Roxxzilla's a try last time but the ITP's were a much better deal back then. This little shop had the 35 Roxxzilla's mounted, out the door for $1099. I couldn't pass that up. I put 200 miles on them last weekend, almost all the the rain, and they were great.

· Registered
335 Posts
Zillas appear to be a directional tire correct?
That is the only reason I am switching from the Interco Snipers 920, great tire but rotation and carrying a spare.....

· Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
People should run 2 tire wheel set ups. Save them stickies just for the rides they are great on, then take em off and use an all around tire like you suggested.
Good advice, that's why I kept my stock takeoffs. I use Carnivores around my acreage and running the gravel roads around the house. However, our main riding area is HMT which includes a lot of running on hardtop. I was apprehensive how well the Roxxzilla's would hold up in that environment so I went with the System 3's. The 370's are doing better than expected for as much road riding I've done with them, something that's unavoidable in West Virginia.

· Registered
2,086 Posts
Zillas appear to be a directional tire correct?
That is the only reason I am switching from the Interco Snipers 920, great tire but rotation and carrying a spare.....
Yes.

· Registered
5,033 Posts
Just what I needed. More fuel in my justification to spend more money on the RMAX.

· Premium Member
2021 KRX
464 Posts
Dont hear much about the Nitto Trail Grappler SXS on the forums, do any of you have any experience?

Min 14:30-

· Registered
5,033 Posts
32:00 on shows the power of diff lock vs others even when you can't run as big of tires as the others. However, I wish trails would limit tire size. Many are running 35s or bigger and rutting out the trails in 2wd in other scenarios. To me 33s are good enough but some will want smaller and that's fine with me too.

· Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
32:00 on shows the power of diff lock vs others even when you can't run as big of tires as the others.
Like most things, there are diminishing returns of running larger tires as they tend to break things much more often which is to be expected. It seems the majority of these guys that do "extreme" type riding have figured out that 32's are a good compromise for most of the machines even if your rig is built to handle 35's... mudders are a different species.
Many are running 35s or bigger and rutting out the trails in 2wd in other scenarios.
I watch a lot of these videos and I'm always amused by the guys in a pissing match with each other screeching "2 wheel drive baby" when doing the obstacle in 4 wheel drive would have been uneventful. It's all good fun but in my world, the parts are too spendy and hard to get to risk the carnage... but that's just me.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts