Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to changing my oil (12 hours) and man that factory filter was on there TIGHT! Of course it didn't help that the filter tool I had on hand wouldn't work and the one I bought from the cycle shop didn't fit this one. It seems Yammy changed oil filters for the Wolverine and the one that came from the factory is no longer available. The new filter tool fits the new filter so I should be good to go from now on but it was a chore this morning! I was going to do the rear diff but I made the mistake of rewarding myself with a beer after the filter debacle and now I think I'm done til tomorrow.

·
Registered
388 Posts
its close to 2.5 qt. My filter was the same way, TIGHT. It was all bent up when i got through getting it off. The one i got from the dealer wasnt exactly the same as the one that came from the factory, but it fit the wolverine. I dont know why. I think id rather have the one the dealer gave me though cause my filter socket fits it.

·
Registered
182 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
I read that the filter is the same as the 550/660/700 grizzlies. If so a purolator 14610 is a good filter choice readily available at any auto parts store

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Oh yeah, 500 miles already without a hicuup. First change around 150 miles. Did a lot of lower speed riding, tight trails with some burst threw in. Then again at 300 miles. Next, I changed it after that super dusty weekend to be safe around 400 miles. I mean, my air filter was a solid mat of dirt. Cleaned it half way through the day. Then another thorough cleaning once I got home. The grease less sheave was simple.. just took cover off and blew everything out. Not much dust in there which surprised me. Guess nothing to stick to so it must have blew right out the exhaust side.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Oh yeah, 500 miles already without a hicuup. First change around 150 miles. Did a lot of lower speed riding, tight trails with some burst threw in. Then again at 300 miles. Next, I changed it after that super dusty weekend to be safe around 400 miles. I mean, my air filter was a solid mat of dirt. Cleaned it half way through the day. Then another thorough cleaning once I got home. The grease less sheave was simple.. just took cover off and blew everything out. Not much dust in there which surprised me. Guess nothing to stick to so it must have blew right out the exhaust side.
how many hours have you got on machine?

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
70.2 hours on it. Just went out and looked. It's pretty low speed trail riding/mudding/hill climbing. Probably has over 1000 0-30 WOT burst on it at least. Hit a curve around a tree, burst up to next turn or hill climb, turn and floor it again :D LOL Fun fun. I don't do high speed turns around tree's. Hitting one would suck and I don't like suck.

Scouting out swamps takes a lot of time. Hit the wrong hole and your done.

·
Registered
367 Posts
You do realize changing your oil that often is just a waste of time and money. Dirt in the air can't get in the oil. And if it did you would have alot more issues then dirty oil. You would have polished cylinders and would be puffing blue like crazy if dirt could get in. Oil gets dirty from carbon not dirt. We build ALOT of motors. I am not just talking out my ass. Everything from steetbike motors Harley motors. Drag car motors diesel truck motors. You name it we have built many of them and all your doing by changing your oil is pouring money down the drain. I understand the first one at 150 but your good for at least 1000 after that before your oil comes close to tainting it's viscosity levels.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
70.2 hours on it. Just went out and looked. It's pretty low speed trail riding/mudding/hill climbing. Probably has over 1000 0-30 WOT burst on it at least. Hit a curve around a tree, burst up to next turn or hill climb, turn and floor it again :D LOL Fun fun. I don't do high speed turns around tree's. Hitting one would suck and I don't like suck.

Scouting out swamps takes a lot of time. Hit the wrong hole and your done.
I have just done my second oil change at 120 hours and 900 miles,yamaha recommends every 150 hours,looks like you are averaging 7mph and im about the same.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
I checked the parts fiche and saw that it is the same P/N as the grizzly. Any online yamaha has the parts fiche, just compare numbers

·
Registered
347 Posts
HF204 for me as well. I change it every other oil change and change my oil often enough that I am okay with running Hiflo's. If you look closely at the Yamaha filters now they say Made In China, so there outsourcing them as well so probably the same damn filter.

·
Registered
41 Posts
image.jpg

Here is my new Wolverine filter wrench. I think Yamha needs to move the factory filter guy to a new position. Perhaps get rid of the forklift and have him hand load the trucks?

·
November WOTM Winner!
877 Posts
I believe i just used a cup style oil filer wrench that you put a 3/8" drive on. No problems

1 - 20 of 23 Posts