Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got done installing a digital temperature on the wolverine. Took a piece of PVC and cut it on a angle and JB welded a piece of plastic on the back side to screw it to the dash. Added a union under the center console and it's good to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
cool, I planning on doing this in future, couple of questions if you don't mind. Are you measuring temp going to or coming from the Engine? For that matter which side goes to engine and which side comes to radiator from engine, from perspective of seating in drivers seat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't had a chance to trail ride it yet, but I added Engine Ice to it also. The couple of passes around my neighborhood though it never got above 215.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I have the temp coming off the engine going back to the radiator which is on the drivers side.

·
Engineer
1,914 Posts
Engineice is not a good coolant choice by the way. It is 94% propylene glycol and 6% water. When the water eventually boils off, you are left with almost pure PG at about the viscosity of 140wt gear oil. I had an engine failure due to this issue and I will never use their product again. Evans High Performance is a better product, but it is expensive. If you purchase Oreilly's black bottle concentrate, you can use it straight, it will never thicken and it boils at +387.5°F without a pressure cap (Engineice boils at 221°F without a pressure cap).

·
Administrator
2,189 Posts
I doubt it. You would have to be cranking pretty hard on the engine at slow speeds and at high ambient temperatures to have an issue. The gauge may give you some indication of an issue before an idiot light would.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been running engine ice for a decade with no issues but everyone has there opinion. I installed the gauge because I don't like trusting a light to tell me I'm about to be up shit creek without a paddle. I have a gauge also on my 2004 grizzly 660. Have never gotten my machines above 225 for any length of time.

·
Engineer
1,914 Posts
Have never gotten my machines above 225 for any length of time.
That's why Engineice hasn't over boiled any of your engines. My statement was based upon fact, not opinion. One of the products I engineered for the powersports industry was coolant. We raced and won, everything from supercross, Xgames, BITD, GNCC to 4x over all baja1000. To do that, we have to run our race engines from 212 to 400°F without failure. The beauty of racing is that we can develop products to bullet proof the everyday driver.

Best reference I could find short notice. You can see that ethylene glycol transfers far more energy than propylene glycol (engineice). We tested Engineice which boiled at 221°F, far short of what they claim, it shot out like a geyser.

·
Registered
131 Posts
One other question what's the ID in MM of the Radiator hose you put the sensor in

·
Registered
212 Posts
I doubt it. You would have to be cranking pretty hard on the engine at slow speeds and at high ambient temperatures to have an issue. The gauge may give you some indication of an issue before an idiot light would.
Sounds like my sort of running to a tee. Soft river sand and 115f temp is tough on most set ups.
I like the set up :cool: Have considered temp guage since new. Will have to see what's available here.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Interested in the Temps you run on average through operation. . Make sure to keep us posted. Also curious if anyone has seen yhe operation Temps listed by yamaha in the service manual. I also will be doing a temp guage soon, as well as a fuel controller. Curious in the operation temp difference if any.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Interested in the Temps you run on average through operation. . Make sure to keep us posted. Also curious if anyone has seen the operation Temps listed by Yamaha in the service manual. I also will be doing a temp gauge soon, as well as a fuel controller. Curious in the operation temp difference if any.
Service manual only lists idle temps and that's 167° - 185° F (75° - 85° C). The thermostat is fully open @ 183° F (84° C).

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Was looking at installing temp guage after I added a tach stupid after thought going to order glowshift temp guage where do u all get the sending unit to match
The Glowshift Gauges do look good with all of the different back light colors that they offer, but when I spoke to Glowshift about 6 months ago, at that time they didn't make a water temp. gauge that was waterproof so I ruled them out as a possibility, for when I add a water temperature gauge. There are a few companies that do make waterproof gauges.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I like the looks of the Glowshift gauges but i really dont want to risk water ruining them. I thought about getting them and applying silicone but at that point i might as well cash in for some marine gauges.

·
November WOTM Winner!
883 Posts
I know my prosport 2" fits right in a 2" PVC pipe and silicone around it and it's sealed. Been thru mud, water and washings with no issues yet

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.