Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
July WOTM Winner!
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother and I are going to Moab at the beginning of April for almost a week. We have never been and we are looking for any ideas, suggestions, places to stay, trails to hit, can't miss things to see and any other things to do while we are there. Any help is appreciated.

·
Banned
504 Posts
there's a group here going later in April, you may get some info from this topic:
Moab spring ride sign up, who's going?

I hope to go there when I retire (I am 62 now)

My brother and I are going to Moab at the beginning of April for almost a week. We have never been and we are looking for any ideas, suggestions, places to stay, trails to hit, can't miss things to see and any other things to do while we are there. Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
If you are camping out I would stay in Sand Flats Rec Area.
Sand Flats Recreation Area | Grand County, UT - Official Website
You will be able to ride Hells Revenge(a MUST DO trail!), Fins and Things ( ANOTHER MUST DO!) and Porcupine trails right from your camper.
There are several Motels and RV parks in Moab.
This site has a lot of trail info and ratings. Discount Tire Rally on the Rocks ?
The Arches National Park. is pretty cool also.
Lots of videos on UTube for the trails around there.
Heres some videos I posted;
http://www.wolverineforums.com/foru...-videos-trying-moab-videos-one-more-time.html

·
Registered
51 Posts
Been there a few times on off-road bikes (KTM 520) and had a local guy show us some places that were amazing.
There is so much to see and ride - you really can't go wrong. Especially if you stay in the town of Moab - ask anyone and you will get good info.
Alcohol rules are a bit weird however...

·
Registered
39 Posts
My 2 sons and I are going the last weekend in February. I can give some feedback in a couple of weeks.

·
July WOTM Winner!
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We are looking for places to stay now. Can you ride from town to the trails or do you have to trailer? Thanks for all the feedback on the trails.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
We are looking for places to stay now. Can you ride from town to the trails or do you have to trailer? Thanks for all the feedback on the trails.
Are you Rving,do you need hook-ups, moteling, outback camping?

·
July WOTM Winner!
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We are either camping or renting a house. If we can find a house cheap enough and ride from the house to the trail that would be ideal. If we can't we'll tent it. No hookups needed. In any case would rather not trailer to the trail if we don't have to.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
1st thing you will need is a OHV sticker to ride public lands, you can get them from the 24 hour Maverik Convenience Store or Moab Info Center.
2nd I would get the ATV Trails Guide for Moab from Funtreks by Charles Wells, https://www.funtreks.com/atv-trails-guide-moab-ut
If you have GPS that it will work in......the data card is really nice too.
I dont know of any trails you can get to from town unless you are a resident of Utah and your machine is street legal.
If you stay in Sand Flats Rec Area you can ride Hells Revenge, Fins And Things, Porcupine Ridge without trailering.
This would be my first choice, I would probably make this my base camp for the whole trip if I was in a camp spot that I liked, it is not that far out of town and there is NO WAY riding Hells Revenge and Fins and Things once will satisfy!
You will probably see The Moab Cowboy bringing up riders for the nightly sunset ride on Hells Revenge trail. https://moabcowboy.com/
There is some BLM campgrounds in the area ( Camping) but some of them require portable toilets because there are no pits, and they will probably be VERY busy that time of year. Last October all the lower campgrounds at Sand Flats where still filling up and we ended up staying at the Juniper (J)campground up the road a ways.
It's not on their map, but we saw Porcupine CG up the road even further on one of our rides. You might want to keep an eye on their facebook page for info, https://www.facebook.com/sandflats/.
We have camped up the Kane Creek road and there are several BLM CGs up there, from your camp you can ride; Hurrah Pass, (dirt road) Chicken Corners (another dirt road) and Kane Creek Canyon Trail (fun Trail with lots of water crossings).
They told us the room we paid $45 a night for last week will be $150 in 2 weeks, they are gearing up for season, and they say it gets nuts there, we know from experience that you DO NOT want to be there during the Jeep Safari March 19-27.
Poison Spider doesn't have a very big staging area, I would get there early, and go on a weekday if I could. I have never been to the Moab Rim Trail or Steel Bender Trail staging area.
There are several places to stage and ride Seven Mile, Determination Towers, Dellenbaugh Tunnel, Secret Spire, Rainbow Terrace, Tenmile Wash and White Wash Sand Dunes because they connect through a series of dirt roads. I have not traveled on all of them, but that is my understanding. The staging area (good sized) for Gemini Bridges, Bull Canyon, Metal Masher closest to the highway is private property and there is a fee to park there, we go up the road a ways where there is no fee.
MAKE SURE to stay on designated trails ONLY!
The Moab Info Center has very good maps that will help.

Reactions: Overload
1 - 11 of 11 Posts