Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been looking to see if anyone else made a swing out carrier for their rig but haven't seen much so I just figured I would get started laying out the parts for a swing out carrier for the X4. When it's done the plan is to carry the tire, rotopax fuel can, hi-lift jack and a fire extinguisher on the rack.

So far this is where it sits until I back home this weekend.
Had a local fab shop bend some 1.5" round tubing for me to make my 90°s that I laid out and tacked the height in place. the width is not finalized yet so only one side of the slug is welded in place.
Line Monochrome Metal Iron Grey
Metal Office supplies Iron Silver Household hardware

Rough layout of the parts that I'm going to mount onto it
Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Rim Tread Automotive wheel system

And I got it hung on the cage so that I can finalize the width but had to pack up the tools and leave it for a week.
Product Machine Gas Iron Bumper
Automotive tire Fender Automotive exterior Machine Alloy wheel

·
Registered
811 Posts
You're off to a great start! I'm excited to see this come together. Are you using any sort of back panel to reduce dust?

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
That’s gonna be sweet.
Good work. I love seeing these kind of projects!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
. Are you using any sort of back panel to reduce dust?
at the moment nothing I'm curious to see if mounting these parts back there will affect the amount of dust blow in. I may add a chainsaw mount if there is room but we will see how it looks when I get the rest mounted.

·
Registered
2021 Canned Ham Maverick Sport Max 1000r
633 Posts
this is an awesome project! Great idea too!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I agree that is a great idea. The nice thing is that it is a bolt on which gives it great appeal for an aftermarket item if you would want to sell them. Anxious to see when it is finished.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll update more this weekend when I get back from SC, and get more work done on it.
Has anyone tried to match a paint to the factory ROP finish

·
Registered
102 Posts
Don't know of that paint code. But can tell you I've had good results with a rattle can finish. High temp engine paint with the same clear coat.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Rustoleum Hammered Finish is as close as I've come. It dries a lot harder than the bed liner in the spray can.

·
Registered
167 Posts
That's bad ass ClutchXT !

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
got a little more work done on it today, I got the braces welded in and spaced so that they will hold the hi-lift jack in place, and devised a pin to hold it shut and support the non-hinged end, a piece of 2"x 1/2" flat iron with a 3/4" hole that will land on a peg with a linch pin as a retainer.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Motorcycle Fender Rim

I took a 3/4" hitch pin and chopped the end off and then inserted it into the plate and lined it up with the half clamp on the drives side roll bar. and welded it in place, placed 2 rubber washers on the pin to hold tension on the linch pin to hopefully curb some rattles.

Pen Metal Iron Office supplies Steel

Metal Steel Iron Machine Cylinder
Line Iron Metal Cylinder Steel

next up was notching a few pieces of tubing so that i could space them for the hi-lift, the braces will also function for support for the tire mounting and the rotopax

Metal Parallel Iron Gas Composite material
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Machine Automotive window part

Clearance shot off the back of the seats

Iron Metal Steel Bicycle accessory Bicycle part

Technology Cable Electrical wiring Machine Wire

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Still waiting on my extinguisher mount to show up so I tacked the flange on for where it is going to mount, and welded up the panel for the fuel can mount and flap disked it to make sure there wasn't going to be any high spots that would rub on the jug and cause a leak
Metal Rectangle Aluminium Steel Silver
Metal Still life photography Coquelicot Gas Household hardware

then I went on to start making the flange for the spare tire to mount to, I ran out of 6" flat stock on a Sunday so it put a hold on the project until I can make it by the steel supplier for more material, but I did get the pattern drilled in the piece I had left over. I will get it bent up tomorrow after work, and grab four bolts to use as wheel studs on the way home.
Tool Stationery Writing implement Composite material Shadow
Bicycle accessory Parallel Composite material Concrete Measuring instrument

Finger Floor Flooring World Hardwood
Road surface Line Asphalt Concrete Black

Road surface Line Asphalt Concrete Black
Composite material Machine

waiting for my 28" spare to show up with my other parts so all the mock up is being done with the 26"
Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system Auto part Automotive exterior

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Completed just need paint, happened to have 4x 12mm bolts in the bin that were the right size so I didn't have to buy any.
For the bracket, I used the press at work to bend my marks, wasn't a perfect job but i got the basic shape in with only a little clearance issue on the press but I was able to work around it and flatten my mistake back out. welded in a brace to strengthen the mount and tacked the "bolts/studs" in place. my patterns got me very close and to make sure that I got the pattern spot on, I placed the mount into the spare wheel and put the lug nuts on to hold everything in place before tacking.
Yellow Wood Gas Machine Metal
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Bumper Wood

Liquid Automotive lighting Fluid Gas Water

Extinguisher mount came in and I had to readjust the mounting location to clear the release knob, but got it attached, and marked and drilled the 5/16-18 holes for the mounting taper head bolts. these will get a dab of blue loctite on assembly
Red Automotive tire Fire extinguisher Cylinder Gas
Hood Saw Abrasive saw Automotive tire Circular saw

and finally mock up before I paint it, i decided to bolt the tire mount on in place of welding so that i could adjust the mount height or change it in the future if needed
Automotive design Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Wheel Vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle Gas

next project I have in the works is a quick detach bed extension

·
Registered
811 Posts
That whole deal is a really great design. I look forward to hearing what you think of it after you get some good trail miles on it. Great job!

Reactions: ClutchXT

·
Registered
121 Posts
Looks great a good thing to consider is maybe a rubber washer or grommets to quiet rattling down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks great a good thing to consider is maybe a rubber washer or grommets to quiet rattling down the road.

that thought has crossed my mind whether I could source a urethane grommet for the pin latch and bore the plate out to fit the grommet
something like this with a 3/4" bore

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Heck some garden hose washers might take care of it.

Actually had 2 rubber washers on there but I was at o'riellys today getting a u-joints for a friend's truck and happened to think of a PCV grommet with a 3/4" hole and it works perfectly
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Bumper Gas
Automotive tire Bicycle part Tire Rim Automotive wheel system

And all painted up and installed

Vehicle Automotive tire Train Motor vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha Wolverine RMAX4 LE
130 Posts
Clean fab job! That looks really good. I have a question regarding the cotter-key for holding it in the closed position. I’m not exactly sure how much weight that will be fully loaded, but do you think that will be strong enough to hold it while bouncing around? I’d assume so since most the weight/stress would be applied in a upward/downward force as opposed to trying to pull away. I was just thinking that another option could always be a square lock pin or a linchpin (like those used on agricultural implements).

Either way, you may want to consider a thin cable lanyard on the pin. Those are things always seem to find their way on the ground.

Again, awesome job! I love how it turned out.

Reactions: ClutchXT
1 - 20 of 33 Posts