Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that have already removed your sway bar, how do you like it without it (Pros and Cons)? I removed mine from my Grizzly and loved the added articulation and overall smoother ride. I know it will have a little more body roll at higher speeds but we spend most of our time rock crawling and hill climbs along with normal 5-10mph trail riding.

I will more than likely remove it and try it myself but just seeing what others think since I haven't been able to find much talk about it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Give it a shot and let us know, I did it on my Grizzly and hated it, it made the front end push and body roll was crazy at any speed. I dont know how it will be on a SxS though.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do. Yah its one of those things, you either love it or hate it. We are headed down to Flat Nasty tomorrow for the weekend so hopefully I can run it with and without and give some feedback. Just picked up the Wolv Saturday and haven't put 5 miles on it yet, been to busy adding accessories ;)

Reactions: Kirk57 and Flach24

·
Registered
347 Posts
Post some pic's, where is Flat Nasty at? I'm about 1 1/2 hours away from Missouri

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's located outside of Jadwin, MO (South central part of the state). It is definitely worth checking out. It is by far our favorite park and we try to get down there about once a month except for summer. Lots of hills and rocks and hardly any mud (I hate mud).

This weekend they are hosting race #5 of the Str8 Up SxS series and they are expecting a huge crowd.

Reactions: Flach24

·
Registered
367 Posts
Permentently disconnecting the sway bar would not be up my ally as I have to ride faster roads to get to more challenging trails. What would be up my ally is a quick disconnect .. this has been talked about many times on the grizzly forums but never done

·
Registered
347 Posts
I can't believe nobody has built one yet, they have them for sled's and it seems simple enough.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I understand why they don't build them for quads. I never found it worth the trade off. Some people want to run no sway bar and some people want to .. I couldn't see myself getting off my atv to disconnect a sway bar. But I could see myself doing it as their is more wheel base and more articulation in the wolverine. The sway bar connecting rod is fairly basic I can't see it being challenging to make a quick disconnect ... it would basically be turning the one bolt into a pinned slip on rod.... I'll take a further look into it today

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
P1030851.JPG P1030853.JPG
Keeping the rest of the tires on the floor,I could jack the tire 12.5" high with the bar attached and 16.5" with it disconnected. 4" seems like a pretty good gain, I will try it this way on the Moab trip this week. It has a little bit more body roll cornering and pushes on the turns but shouldn't be a problem for rock crawling.

·
Registered
213 Posts
i took mine off of my rhino and grizzly and threw them in the trash. i will take the one off the wolverine too. ive only had it a week now so ill probably wait until after break in and the first service

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Mine has enough friction at the rubber frame mounts that it doesn't move freely. I just disconnected the ends at the A arms, zip tied the dog bones to the sway bar (so they wouldn't flop around) and turned the ends of the sway bar up. Take a couple of minutes to reconnect.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Mine has enough friction at the rubber frame mounts that it doesn't move freely. I just disconnected the ends at the A arms, zip tied the dog bones to the sway bar (so they wouldn't flop around) and turned the ends of the sway bar up. Take a couple of minutes to reconnect.
Got a picture?

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
P1030854.JPG P1030855.JPG
It takes a 5mm allen and a 17mm wrench.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I am going to try it on the sxs, I really wish someone would make a quick disconnect. 4 in is a good gain

·
Registered
213 Posts
I never had a problem when I took mine off my rhino, and that was with a 2" lift and 28" zillas.
in the woods it handled much better and even felt like I would slide the rear end around better

·
Registered
124 Posts
I disconnected mine the same way. It is much smoother over the rough terrain and so far I haven't noticed a lot of body roll.

MrDwig, where at in Missouri are you. I am just north of Branson.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ultimately an adjustable connection would be best. Not sure that is possible though.

The Ski Doo Summit mountain sleds have quick connects on the sway bar - use it on the trail up to the backcountry and then disconnect to make it easier to initiate sidehills and carving (lots of fun...)

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Removed mine this weekend and guarantee it wont be going back on.

TheKevin, I am about an hour north of STL. We'll be down at Flat Nasty from the 31st-3rd which isn't to far from you.

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
I realize this is an old thread, but I am curious if the people who have removed the sway bar still like having it removed, and if anyone else has removed it and not liked it. Also, if anyone has a lift kit and also removed the sway bar. I am considering removing mine, but only to improve ride quality over the rocks.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts