Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Revisit as of 1/2023.. Received my RMAX4 flip windshield a few days ago. First, it did not come with written instructions and the online instructions/video are for a RMAX2. Close enough but obviously the seals are different and no guidance for the mirror bracket if that what it is. I have been around race cars, etc for a long time and although my elevator may not go to the top, my tool box is pretty full.

Re installation, after 8 full hours and a 2nd set of hands my windshield is still not fitting. Those two plastic bumps in the in the roof hitting the upper windshield that were mentioned in another thread are still a big issue. The partial solution is to leave everything loose, then force the windshield top seal to the middle of the crossbar before tightning the strap clamps. I used windex to help the seal slide. This lowers the top section enough that those two bumps dont interfere as much. THEN you have to deal with the two outside "bumps" where the cutouts are that are part of the formed roof. I was grinding/scaloping the windshield edge to try to gain some clearance here before I quit for the nite. The next contact point is the top edge seal where two other roof molded ribs hit....I will likely thin out the seal with a blade/*****. I am not in favor of cutting/trimming the roof as a few others might have. All of the above is just get the roof back in its original position without sitting on the roof, heavy weights, etc and putting it under permanent stress.

I did use a mallet to seat the bulb seals. You know you're done when the hammer makes a "tang" instead of a "thud". I thought the mirror bracket replaced the original so I tried to remove it and guess what....the two bolts are torx security types...with the pin in the center so you can't get a regular torx to seat. This is not in anyones toolbox so the socket should be included. I ended up removing the top crossbar so I could work on it flat...another hour wasted drilling out the torx pins and three broken drill bits later. Also you can't use the SATV bracket for the mirror....the hole is drilled off center and the mirror's threaded post will hit the plexi first and the nut CAN'T center because it also hits the plexi. Another point, you MUST remove the OEM mirror bracket otherwise you can't lower the upper plexi referenced above. I will space the OEM mirror down if I get to that point.

Everything is still loose and the bottom sections appear close to nesting at the flat seal. In my opinion the entire top seal is not necessary because you can likely push a round 1" seal across the entire front from the out side to guarantee no wind or leakage. I will say the product quality is very good, lots of custom brackets, etc and the ultimate fit could be to a high tolerance if you don't go madman destructo first.

Final thoughts...I have been in a few installation wars and this one ranks right at the top. I just noticed that SATV site promotes it for a RMAX4 then in fine print says it will not work with the OEM roof on their website..CYA??? You do have to partially remove the blue plexi covering in any attempt thereby nullifying a return if you encounter what I and most everyone has. In the other major installation thread, SATV offered a 20% refund, or to replace damaged parts or full refund providing you destroy it. I'd like to know if that still is available because in this case it is buyer beware to the extreme. SATV??

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
FYI...if you're thinking of ordering a flip up SATV windshield for a 2022/23... big caution. I went to their website, entered the year, make and model on the top bar, was directed to the page, entered the model (RMAX4) and got the message "This will fit your 2022 RMAX4". I added it to the cart and paid. Product SKU FWS-Y-RMAX4-70.

Product arrived, test fitted to the cage as suggested and started the install by first removing blue protective covering. After struggling as expected, somewhere (maybe in online instructions) there was a note "will not work with OEM windshield". Today I called their customer service....definitely will not fit a 2022, and no returns with blue film disturbed.
Their suggestion...sell it to someone else! And about the defective mirror bracket...we will send you one after its redesigned...no timeline.

I am all about supporting aftermarket suppliers but this is pretty blatant (unintentional?) misrepresentation and terrible customer service ...especially for a $500 premium product. A manager is suppose to call and I really dont want to refute the payment unless I have to. Will update as saga continues...

· Vendor
834 Posts
Correct, it will not fit with the 2022+ OEM roof. There have been a couple handy and creative guys in here that made it work with few issues, but its not going to work right out of the box without those modifications. We're in the process of designing a new one that can be retrofitted to both.

Sorry for the hassle buddy. There was a recent thread on here where @holliglen did some nice mods to make it work with his brand new Rmax 4.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately you can go to the web page, confirm the fitting for a 2022, the cart and payment then discover this reality. I dont want to modify anything OEM and shouldn't have to unless its disclosed clearly at the time of purchase. Best to resolve off line if someone there would care to resolve. See attachment where it very clearly states, after the model prompt "fits your 2022 RMAX4" (in green). Add to cart button is right below that which is the issue that Im making.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Screenshot Automotive exterior

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't inspected a 2021 but my 2022 has a molded channel that runs in front of and the length of the top crossbar. That channel (for running wires?) has two rectangular protrusions (11/2" x 2") about 8" on either side of the OEM mirror. These press down on the upper windshield and prevent the roof from bolting back down. There are also is a molded channel running both sides of the roof that protrudes down about an inch also preventing re-anchoring the roof back in place.There is
Advertisement
also something going on with the mirror ...a new mount that attaches to the windshield replaces the OEM but its design is faulty and will not work. There might be more but not sure.

· Registered
30 Posts
The OEM mirror fits and their bracket is not needed. I had it mounted without trimming the protrusions on the channel, but then removed the roof and trimmed the protrusions just to ensure they were not putting pressure on the upper section. The real problem I had was the tightness of the lower section, which I resolved by trimming away some of the lower bulb seal. That finally allowed it to fit and close. I still think this is the best concept going, and would get the same windshield again, knowing it requires some tweaking and adjustment.

· Registered
5,033 Posts
There is a thread on here that some peoples dealers installed the front roof mounting wrong on the X4 and X2. I thought some had that issue with the RMAX as well but I can't find the thread. I'm sure there was a design change but we need pics side by side of the older and newer models to try and figure that out. In the mean time, you might try turning the front mount around to eliminate the possibility that the dealer installed the roof incorrectly and see if it gives you more room to work with.

· Vendor
834 Posts
Unfortunately you can go to the web page, confirm the fitting for a 2022, the cart and payment then discover this reality. I dont want to modify anything OEM and shouldn't have to unless its disclosed clearly at the time of purchase. Best to resolve off line if someone there would care to resolve. See attachment where it very clearly states, after the model prompt "fits your 2022 RMAX4" (in green). Add to cart button is right below that which is the issue that Im making. View attachment 109091
I totally understand the confusion there. It fits the 2022+ Rmax, but it just doesn't work with that roof. Unfortunately the "My Fitment" software doesn't have the ability to show a "NOTES" section like the main fitment section with specific parts fitments outside of just the model/year...where it does fit the 2022+. Sorry again buddy. Feel free to PM me if you want to modify it. Holliglen's mods were pretty easy.

· Registered
5,033 Posts
I saw that. I was curious if GKC's dealer may also have had the front bar installed incorrectly and was compounding the issue.

· Registered
42 Posts
Cut those two spots in the roof flush. Easy to do and really not a big deal. I used a cutoff wheel in a die grinder and then cleaned up the edges. Once the window is in you'll forget about ever doing it. I also didn't bother with installing the seal on top section or sides of the window. It fits better without it. I did install a 1" weather strip I picked up at Home Depot on the inside metal hinge support to cover the window seam when it's closed. I also used the edge seal that came with the window to fill the gap between the top window section and the roof. it'll slide over the roof's downward pointed lip and fills most of the gap.

Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design

Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Hood Automotive tire Wheel Bumper

Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

· Registered
20 Posts
@GKC - sorry you had such a difficult time with the flip-up windshield. I was going to post that I just installed mine (RMAX2) and comment that the only part that was difficult was the fitting the gaskets to the edges (monumental PITA!). My issues pale in comparison to yours...good luck amigo!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts