Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Day 10 of new Wolverine R Spec and flat tire already. Passenger side rear tire has a leak almost directly in the center of the tire. Come here to find out that the OEM tires are 2 ply. Typical OEM showroom tires. Not much good in real world. Lucky for me I noticed the flat as I was about 40 feet from pulling into my garage after doing a 4 hour offroad (many different terrains) ride. Am thinking about putting a plug in the tire and hot patching from the inside. Also thinking about replacing all the tires with aftermarket. Was wondering if most people do this or just take a plug kit and compressor on rides. I mean 10 day old tires. Would like to get some more time out of them. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
No matter what tires you have, a plug kit and compressor should be standard trail equipment (there's tons of pokey things on most trails).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
4500 miles? Do you ride on many different terrains? That is impressive for stock tires. Maybe I need to give the stock tires another chance. I like the Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 tires and in the true form they are 6 ply. Am sure the durability is there with those. 4500 miles on 2 ply stock tires is outstanding unless you have been riding strictly on grass...lol

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Picked up the plug kit today. Compressor on board now as well. Ready to give the stock tires another test. :)

·
November WOTM Winner!
882 Posts
A lot of guys are swapping out the stock tires are just too weak for any amount of aggressive riding. If you run around pretty slow and on decent terrain you'll be fine with them, otherwise I'd switch if I were you.

I just put my stock ones back on because this time of year by us the trails are closed so it's mostly just cruising down back roads. For that I'll wear out the stock tires

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
4ply "rated" in rear and 2ply "rated" in front.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
4500 miles? Do you ride on many different terrains? That is impressive for stock tires. Maybe I need to give the stock tires another chance. I like the Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 tires and in the true form they are 6 ply. Am sure the durability is there with those. 4500 miles on 2 ply stock tires is outstanding unless you have been riding strictly on grass...lol
mostly trails and open road,but was up different moutains last summer and no problems.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got a flat like the second day out on my rig, right side front got a side wall hole. The terrain its used in is real rough and besides that one flat they are holding up. Maxxis makes good tires, the ply these have is disappointing however.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A lot of guys are swapping out the stock tires are just too weak for any amount of aggressive riding. If you run around pretty slow and on decent terrain you'll be fine with them, otherwise I'd switch if I were you.

I just put my stock ones back on because this time of year by us the trails are closed so it's mostly just cruising down back roads. For that I'll wear out the stock tires

Just bought Kenda BigBear HTR tires. Have not put them on the rims yet but they should be good tires. 8 ply front and rear. One inch wider than stock so half inch wider on either side. Time will tell.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Stock tires are good for light trail riding. They are great for their weight. They are a super lite tire. That is all. They don't stand a chance against rocks, sticks, tree stumps.

Get some OG bighorns, Roctanes, Blackwaters, Ripsaws. Anything with a higher ply rating.

A plug kit and compressor is great to have but any bighorn 2.0s I have punctured have just about been unrepairable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts