Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK folks. There has been an awful lot of discussion about sagging springs and ground clearance lately, and I got to thinking, we all say we have XX" of clearance, but how do we know we are measuring from the same spot as the next guy? Does anyone even know what reference point the factory uses for their claim of 11.5"? I feel like we need to get some consistency in where we measure positions so we are comparing apples to apples with sagging springs, lift kits, preload adjustments, etc. I hope to get some time in the next month to take measurements on my bike and adjust the preload back to stock and install the 3.5" lift kit. I will take lots of pictures and make notes along the way. If anyone would like to measure their stock height, please note where you are taking measurements from. A picture would be even better. My hope is that we can all chime in and document it in this thread, maybe making it a sticky in the end if we gather enough data.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Where do you measure? I measure at the rear of the plastic skid plate for my front end height and I measure at the safety chain holes for a rear end height

·
Registered
367 Posts
Middle of metal skids farthest point forward and farthest part rearward I was 11.5 rear 11.25 front in stock form switched to 26 big horn and am 12.25 rear 12 front

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where do you measure? I measure at the rear of the plastic skid plate for my front end height and I measure at the safety chain holes for a rear end height
I took a few quick measurements this morning. These are the two points I have been using. See pictures below. This is with 28" tires and preload tightened 9 full turns from stock on all four corners, which is as tight as it will go while still biting full threads on the lock nut. I am at 12" up front and 13.75" out back. So it appears the rear springs may be fine, just the front ones are sagging. This is obviously with no extra weight in the machine. IMG_20151105_063529143.jpg IMG_20151105_063827370.jpg

·
Registered
242 Posts
12 " front and 13 " rear.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Where is your preload at? Is there any additional weight on the machine?
Preload is factory setting. And about 75 pounds of gear in the back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
White one....
15 miles..
9 psi ft
9 psi rear
Shock preload @ factory

11.25 front and rear measured same place as above

·
Registered
52 Posts
I set my preload by measuring the spring length with the wheels raised of from the floor
Front= 12" spring length
Rear= 14 3/4" spring length
Front= 12" ride height under frame in back of front wheel
Rear= 12 1/4" ride height under frame in front of rear wheel with spare tire and Yamaha spare tire mount appox. 35 lbs.
Stock tires with 11 psi in ea. tire
I set rebound and compression 11 clicks out from all the way in Front and Rear
This setting worked good for me riding in the so ca. desert

From my service manual I used this as a guide
Spring preload adjusting positions
Front
Minimum = 313.5mm (12.34 in)
Standard = 305.5 mm (12.03 in)
Maximum = 298.5 mm (11.75 in)
Rear
Minimum = 386.0 mm (15.20 in)
Standard = 378.0 mm (14.88 in)
Maximum = 372.0 mm (14.65 in)

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I set my preload by measuring the spring length with the wheels raised of from the floor
Front= 12" spring length
Rear= 14 3/4" spring length
Front= 12" ride height under frame in back of front wheel
Rear= 12 1/4" ride height under frame in front of rear wheel with spare tire and Yamaha spare tire mount appox. 35 lbs.
Stock tires with 11 psi in ea. tire
I set rebound and compression 11 clicks out from all the way in Front and Rear
This setting worked good for me riding in the so ca. desert

From my service manual I used this as a guide
Spring preload adjusting positions
Front
Minimum = 313.5mm (12.34 in)
Standard = 305.5 mm (12.03 in)
Maximum = 298.5 mm (11.75 in)
Rear
Minimum = 386.0 mm (15.20 in)
Standard = 378.0 mm (14.88 in)
Maximum = 372.0 mm (14.65 in)

Good info, thanks for chiming in.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, so I still haven't had a chance to do the lift kit yet, but maybe this weekend. I did however, take some new measurements, that should be an across the board reference, no matter what size tires anyone has. I measured the length of the spring, in the compressed state, under static machine weight. In other words, the machine is sitting in the garage and I measured the spring length without any weight in the machine. I rolled it back and forth by hand to make sure the tires were not holding the suspension in a slightly compressed state from my fat ass sitting in it lol. So, the following measurements are the absolute static measurements, not influenced by anything other than machine weight and spring preload. The only extra weight I have is the EMP bumpers and winch. My preload is cranked as tight as it goes. See picture below for where I am measuring. It is from the metal spring holders/washers on each end. This should be easy for everyone else to measure, and it will independently tell us if our springs are sagging or not. I will take measurements again with the preload back at stock settings as well once I get around to it.

Measurements:

Front Driver's Side: 9-5/8"
Front Passenger Side: 9-1/2"
Rear Driver's Side: 12-5/8"
Rear Passenger Side: 12-3/4"

IMG_20151122_152520471.jpg

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
What size tires and wheels are you running? This is lower than the specs claim.
I was running 26'' tires and finally installed a 2'' lift and worked until I traded the wolvy for a Viking and have just installed some heavier springs from shock therapy on the back and so far are doing great.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts